Transplant to the White Mountains

Hello! Former Utahn now living in the White Mountain. I've been hanging for a few years now, but this is my first forum experience. I hope to get some good tips from you all and maybe offer some as well. One of my favorite things is looking for the perfect spot. Some of my favorite hanging experiences include Zion National Park, Havasupai, Tetons, Joshua Tree and Moab. I don't have a lot of cold weather experience so any advice would be appreciated. I'm also currently in the market for some sort of UQ and would love some tips here as well.

Hammock
    Towns-End
    Tarp
    WB, Towns-End, UGQ
    Insulation
    LSOH, JRB, UGQ
    Suspension
    Straps & Buckles
    Images
    Hello and welcome from Northern Arkansas! In NH you'll need some insulation for sure! For colder temps I prefer a full length UQ. For anything above freezing it doesn't matter if it's full or 3/4. You've hung in spots that are on my bucket list for sure!
    Hammock Tourist / Hammock Fiend / Hammock Therapist

Hammock
    Towns End BGBH
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jj54survival View Post
    Hello! Former Utahn now living in the White Mountain. I've been hanging for a few years now, but this is my first forum experience. I hope to get some good tips from you all and maybe offer some as well. One of my favorite things is looking for the perfect spot. Some of my favorite hanging experiences include Zion National Park, Havasupai, Tetons, Joshua Tree and Moab. I don't have a lot of cold weather experience so any advice would be appreciated. I'm also currently in the market for some sort of UQ and would love some tips here as well.
    My aunt lives in Dalton, NH just above the Whites so I know how cold it can get (& hot, humid weather in July!). Some great trails in the area...visit the AMC hut in Crawford Notch for trail info in the Whites.

Depends on whether you are a 3 or 4 season hanger in the Whites. Three season - I would recommend a 20 degree UQ with overstuff or a 0 degree UQ. That will take you from spring to late fall in the Whites. Four season I would get a 0 degree UQ with overstuff. You can even use these when the temps warm up by just hanging it loosely under your hammock. Watch some of Shug's winter videos on YouTube for info.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FMhYRJ9dxtA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9cDU8MpQ59I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seqBY9VM1bs

Retired US Navy, 10-year Stage IIIb colon cancer survivor. I believe my last words will be "Hold my beer..."

Hammock
    Towns End BGBH
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    Images
    There is a hang coming up the weekend of October 20th down in Alexandria, NH. Make a day trip there on Friday or Saturday to check out what everyone uses in NH. I guarantee it will be worth the trip just to get input from people there and actually see what they are using.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php/146018-NH-gt-Alexandria-NH-gt-Oct-19-21-2018-gt-Great-Pumpkin-Hang

Retired US Navy, 10-year Stage IIIb colon cancer survivor. I believe my last words will be "Hold my beer..."

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20 deg UQ, TQ
    Suspension
    webbing
    Welcome to New England! I was just up in the White's hiking and camping this weekend. Come on down this coming weekend Oct 12-14 to Goshen MA at the NEHHA fall hang to meet some other folks who love hammock hanging, and hiking etc. We know lots of great trails and places to go. Go to the trip section for Northeast to see other hangs that are going to happen. We also have a winter hang in Massachusetts if you want to try it out with other people first and check out gear. Happy hanging.

Hammock
    Towns End BGBH
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    Images
    Well! I just noticed you are in Plymouth. The hang I just mentioned is in your backyard!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuban w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG top and bottom
    Suspension
    Kevlar Whoopie
    Welcome! This place has been a wealth of info for me so it should be the same for you.

Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    DCF Winter
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ @ TQ
    Suspension
    Whoope
    Images
    Greetings from Whitefield NH.
    Lincoln Woods is a little more north from you, all year heated restrooms, and free, if you have a National Park Senior Pass. Great location to get into some hammock areas in the winter, with out having to gain any altitude, or be far from your car, if you need to bail out.
    Since I retired, some times I stay awake all day, some times all night.

Hammock
    Towns End BGBH
    Tarp
    UGQ WD12
    Insulation
    HG Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Ultimate Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by psyculman View Post
    Greetings from Whitefield NH.
    Lincoln Woods is a little more north from you, all year heated restrooms, and free, if you have a National Park Senior Pass. Great location to get into some hammock areas in the winter, with out having to gain any altitude, or be far from your car, if you need to bail out.
    My grandmother lives in Whitefield, my aunt lives in Dalton (off of 116 near Forest Lake) and my cousin is a Selectboard Member for the Town of Dalton. I may be in SC but I know that area very well!

• + New Posts