Thread: Red River Gorge

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    HG incubators and

Red River Gorge

The wife and I are thinking about doing three nights in the Red River Gorge starting the Sunday before Thanksgiving. Just getting started with the planning, any suggestion on routes to take? We would like all the camping to be backcountry camping if possible. What type of weather should we expect that time of year?

Thanks

Hammock
    Juniper or Walhalla
    Tarp
    Trailheadz winter
    Insulation
    20° Etherial
    Suspension
    Straps/Breeze buck
    There is actually a hang happening at the end of october at Hanson Point!

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    You are planning a great time to go to one of the most beautiful places in the Eastern US. Are you planning a moving trip or a basecamp with day trips out. Are you ok with multiple loops? i.e. Use vehicle to transfer to another side of the park to do a second loop.

Anyhow, I would recommend spending at least one night at Hanson's point (Off the Rough Trail). If possible also do Cloud Splitter and Indian Staircase. both off (Bison Way trail). I've also heard the Auxier Ridge trail is a good overnight loop.

Here is an AllTrails map to Hanson's Point that includes waypoints of several good back country campsites. https://www.alltrails.com/explore/re...iver-gorge--31
    (Note these are up on the ridge so there is no water there, you'll have to haul it up there. Plenty of water in the area, just not up on the ridges.

My Favorite Photo from Hanson's point: Me and My little one.
    Hansons Point.jpg
    Last edited by jeff-oh; 10-10-2018 at 07:12.

Hammock
    SLD 11' 1.6 Hexon Wide TR
    Tarp
    11'Tadpole/12'OMW
    Insulation
    20F HG quilts
    Suspension
    1in straps/biners
    November can be as warm as 70F during the day and as cold as upper 30s. Typically your looking at 40-60F daytime temps and 30-50s at night. It can snow that early but its rare until mid December, rain on the other hand is probable. I am assuming you have one vehicle, the loop trails are; 1 Auxier Ridge-Double Arch-Star Gap Arch loop (8 miles) legal camping is available in the valley along Auxier Branch and in the general area of Star Gap Arch along that ridge, 2 Rough Trail Loop (7-8 miles) Hanson's Pt is a 'view' destination and camping area along this loop other legal camping is 'off trail' just follow any ridge or drain perpendicular to the trail, 3 Osbourne Bend (8 miles) This one requires some pavement hiking on Hwy 715 to get back to your car...not much to see on this one...at least from the official trail...unofficial/user trails and old logging roads can take you to some arches, waterfalls and overlooks you won't find on most maps. Almost any other official trail you can do an out and back hike on. There are no big miles to do here, the RRG is for site seeing and exploring, I suggest spending one day just hitting the various picture/view points of Chimney Rock, Princess Arch, Half moon Rock/Arch, Rock Bridge, Sky Bridge and a hike along the Red River on Douglas Trail from the parking lot beside the concrete bridge near one end of the Osbourne Bend Trail head. Also hit Natural Bridge S.P. for a day hike as well. The Sheltowee Trace passes through the State Park and RRG propper and there are destinations to back country camping off of it like Indian Staircase and Cloud Splitter. If it is damp or has rained I don't recommend climbing either one and honestly they are very popular now and over used like Hanson's Pt. Doubtful you would be alone camping near any of those. Check some earlier threads on the gorge I left some links you may find useful.

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    I see you are from Michigan. For the local flavor make sure you stop by Miguel's Pizza for a custom pie and a couple of KY's local beverage pronounced either "A-Late-One" or "Ale-8"
    IMG_0553.jpg
    It is about 2 miles south of the Mountain Parkway on Ky 11.

Hammock
    Juniper or Walhalla
    Tarp
    Trailheadz winter
    Insulation
    20° Etherial
    Suspension
    Straps/Breeze buck
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff-oh View Post
    I see you are from Michigan. For the local flavor make sure you stop by Miguel's Pizza for a custom pie and a couple of KY's local beverage pronounced either "A-Late-One" or "Ale-8"
    IMG_0553.jpg
    It is about 2 miles south of the Mountain Parkway on Ky 11.
    Lol I have to suggest the cherry Ale8 1

Hammock
    Dutch 12' Netless
    Tarp
    ProVenture Nylon
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Humming Bird style
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Smckinney0031 View Post
    Lol I have to suggest the cherry Ale8 1
    YUM,

Hammock
    DIY R2B3 (Black Bear Burrito) + HUG
    Tarp
    Noah12, Mambajamba
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie + straps
    Images
    +1 on Auxier Ridge, so many different Vistas to see in the dawn/daybreak its unreal. Love the view from Haystack. Planning on going up there next Thursday and ending up at Hansons Point Friday night.
    .... the Aardvark (earth pig)... a rather unremarkable creature whose sole claim to fame is that it is the first animal listed in the dictionary.
    Rob

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    HG incubators and
    Quote Originally Posted by jeff-oh View Post
    You are planning a great time to go to one of the most beautiful places in the Eastern US. Are you planning a moving trip or a basecamp with day trips out. Are you ok with multiple loops? i.e. Use vehicle to transfer to another side of the park to do a second loop.

Anyhow, I would recommend spending at least one night at Hanson's point (Off the Rough Trail). If possible also do Cloud Splitter and Indian Staircase. both off (Bison Way trail). I've also heard the Auxier Ridge trail is a good overnight loop.

Here is an AllTrails map to Hanson's Point that includes waypoints of several good back country campsites. https://www.alltrails.com/explore/re...iver-gorge--31
    (Note these are up on the ridge so there is no water there, you'll have to haul it up there. Plenty of water in the area, just not up on the ridges.

My Favorite Photo from Hanson's point: Me and My little one.
    Hansons Point.jpg
    We are OK with multiple loops and prefer to keep moving and not make a basecamp. We wouldn't mind splitting it up into a couple mini loops and going from car to one side to the other.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    HG incubators and
    Quote Originally Posted by KYHiker View Post
    November can be as warm as 70F during the day and as cold as upper 30s. Typically your looking at 40-60F daytime temps and 30-50s at night. It can snow that early but its rare until mid December, rain on the other hand is probable. I am assuming you have one vehicle, the loop trails are; 1 Auxier Ridge-Double Arch-Star Gap Arch loop (8 miles) legal camping is available in the valley along Auxier Branch and in the general area of Star Gap Arch along that ridge, 2 Rough Trail Loop (7-8 miles) Hanson's Pt is a 'view' destination and camping area along this loop other legal camping is 'off trail' just follow any ridge or drain perpendicular to the trail, 3 Osbourne Bend (8 miles) This one requires some pavement hiking on Hwy 715 to get back to your car...not much to see on this one...at least from the official trail...unofficial/user trails and old logging roads can take you to some arches, waterfalls and overlooks you won't find on most maps. Almost any other official trail you can do an out and back hike on. There are no big miles to do here, the RRG is for site seeing and exploring, I suggest spending one day just hitting the various picture/view points of Chimney Rock, Princess Arch, Half moon Rock/Arch, Rock Bridge, Sky Bridge and a hike along the Red River on Douglas Trail from the parking lot beside the concrete bridge near one end of the Osbourne Bend Trail head. Also hit Natural Bridge S.P. for a day hike as well. The Sheltowee Trace passes through the State Park and RRG propper and there are destinations to back country camping off of it like Indian Staircase and Cloud Splitter. If it is damp or has rained I don't recommend climbing either one and honestly they are very popular now and over used like Hanson's Pt. Doubtful you would be alone camping near any of those. Check some earlier threads on the gorge I left some links you may find useful.
    Thank you

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast