DIY
    Tarp
    DIY tarp
    Insulation
    DIY quilts
    Suspension
    whoopie slings

Double layer with bug net

I'm in the planning stages of a DIY double layer with zip on bug net. Are there any arguments for sewing the zipper to one layer or the other...making the opening between layers either on the inside or outside of the hammock? Any insight would be greatly appreicated.

I cant speak for other types but my Claytors have opening on inside.(Bugnet sewn to bottom layer.)
    Keny

Hammock
    DIY 11' double layer 1.1
    Tarp
    huge DIY camo
    Insulation
    DIY 9oz. Primaloft
    Suspension
    7/64"whoopie sling
    I have my pad slot along the left edge, so I can reach my arm in and help position the pad, so I'd sew the bugnet on the outside layer.

Acer
    It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Formerly known as Acercanto, my trail name is MacGuyver to some, and Pucker Factor to others.

It's not procrastinating, its proactively delaying the implementation of the energy-intensive phase of the project until the enthusiasm factor is at its maximum effectiveness. - Randy Glasbergen

Hammock
    my DIY hammock
    Tarp
    my DIY tarp
    Well technically speaking, the strongest way to attach your zipper would be to sew it between the two layers--but when have any of us DIYers been about doing stuff the "right" way. Think about what you want to be able to do with you bug net zipped up and then decide where attaching it will best accommodate those things.

Hammock
    DIY 11' double layer 1.1
    Tarp
    huge DIY camo
    Insulation
    DIY 9oz. Primaloft
    Suspension
    7/64"whoopie sling
    Well technically speaking, the strongest way to attach your zipper would be to sew it between the two layers
    I agree, it would be strongest and possibly tidiest to sew it between the 2 layers, but for the slot, the 2 layers aren't sewn together.
    He's talking about the slot to slip the pad in between the layers. Whether it should be outside the bugnet or inside.

Clear as mud?
    Acer
    It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Formerly known as Acercanto, my trail name is MacGuyver to some, and Pucker Factor to others.

It's not procrastinating, its proactively delaying the implementation of the energy-intensive phase of the project until the enthusiasm factor is at its maximum effectiveness. - Randy Glasbergen

Hammock
    my DIY hammock
    Tarp
    my DIY tarp
    one other question might help with better advice...are you going to put slots on both sides of the hammock or only on one side (such as the zipper)?

If you are only going to have one slot on the zipper side, then I would agree with acer and sew it the the bottom/outside layer. Otherwise you will have to unzip the bugnet to make adjustments and risk letter some of those pesky buzzzzzzzzzzzers in.

I am planning to sew up another double layer with a bug net and that is my plan. Sew one side completely with the bugnet, then slot and zipper on the same side.

• + New Posts