Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OlTrailDog View Post
    I leave the door open so she is free to go in and out based on her preference. That way the tent serves as a wind break, reduces overheat heat loss to some extent, provides protection from rain if the opening is under the fly or button up the opening, and helps contain/protect the pad.

But she is also on a lead due to it being prime coyote and wolf habitat. Not much worried about the bears, just prepared.
    Not as bad as it initially sounded to me now that I hav thought about it a bit. For me, IMO I don't think the Pup Tent would be an option but only with my current pooch. He is a very needy boxer - like so needy I practically have to continually pet him or his anxiety starts to crank up - but I do like the idea of an open door. Very much like a portable dog house right?

Anyhow HYOH and don't let be afraid to experiment.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfJ...XMJUMaraHGfzhA

Hammock
    11' gathered end
    Insulation
    Down TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie hooks
    It's a dog! It's smarter than you about spending the night outside. I leave my reflectix foot mat out, and the dog can use it if it wants. I then hang high so the dog can't pester me all night. A dog will figure things out.

Hammock
    BBXLC
    Tarp
    UGQ winterdream 12
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    buckles or Daisy
    Quote Originally Posted by NMTrekker View Post
    It's a dog! It's smarter than you about spending the night outside. I leave my reflectix foot mat out, and the dog can use it if it wants. I then hang high so the dog can't pester me all night. A dog will figure things out.
    I have never yet seen a dog figure out how to break a car window to escape a hot box nor feed itself when its bowl is empty or swim to safety when left behind in a hurricane. Your dog will lay under your hammock only because because its loyal to you, provide a wind break if its too big to come in the hammock with you.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    CC Ponderosa
    Insulation
    Sheltowee
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I have a SAR K9 (Search and Rescue) he's a Border Collie so he's smart as a whip. Most of my gear is actually from Ruffwear for him. They have a fantastic pack system that you can use for your pups and it comes in various sizes from small to extra large. My guy is about 55lbs so he can carry max about 12 lbs. I top it at ten. However thats a lot of gear for the dog. I use the Ruffwear Palisades Pack that the harness can unsnap from the pack. I also use their highlands bed system so my dog has a place that he knows he can rest on the ground. Finally I use the knot a hitch system to put up between two trees. This all fits in his own pack believe it or not so he can carry his own gear.

He is small enough though that he sleeps with me in the hammock. The first night I wasn't sure what he was going to do, I got in got cozy, he watched for about three seconds. I said you want in....he didn't hesitate. jumped in, curled up and went to sleep. The only thing I have to watch with him is he does not have a heavy coat so he gets cold fast. I bring a separate blanket just for him. My boy and I have gone all over the country together so I've gotten good at making sure he has what he needs to stay comfortable while I forget my own stuff all the time.

Hammock
    Hammocktent 90*, Sparrow, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    light & waterproof
    Insulation
    Ongoing experiment
    Suspension
    Ongoing experiment
    Quote Originally Posted by ladyphaze View Post
    I have a SAR K9 (Search and Rescue) he's a Border Collie so he's smart as a whip. .... My guy is about 55lbs s.... I also use their highlands bed system so my dog has a place that he knows he can rest on the ground. Finally I use the knot a hitch system to put up between two trees. This all fits in his own pack believe it or not so he can carry his own gear.

He is small enough though that he sleeps with me in the hammock. The first night I wasn't sure what he was going to do, I got in got cozy, he watched for about three seconds. I said you want in....he didn't hesitate. jumped in, curled up and went to sleep. The only thing I have to watch with him is he does not have a heavy coat so he gets cold fast. I bring a separate blanket just for him. My boy and I have gone all over the country together so I've gotten good at making sure he has what he needs to stay comfortable while I forget my own stuff all the time.
    I'll bet your BC is an amazing dog and friend. I can't even imagine bunking with my 40lbs. border collie. She would be so POed at me for all the shifting around and "night trips to the woods". I would also be concerned her claws would cause runs in the material. Once upon a lifetime I had a Doberman that worked with me in the back country. Quite the dog, but he was always shivering. Therefore, when I shifted to border collies I wanted long coated BCs. They simply thrive on being out and about even on wintry and snowy days. Many times they prefer to be outside grappling with the elements. My current BC would rather sit out in the chilly fall rain and keep an eye on the neighbors sheep and horses than to miss out on "her job".

Hammock
    DIY Bridge /Draumr
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    PolyStraps/Huggers
    Quote Originally Posted by Mogollon Monster View Post
    I got an English Mastiff this year and this will be our first winter together. I'd like to take him on an overnighter but I have no idea where to start. When hammock camping, where does the dog sleep? I think a tent would be prettey simple. WE could both lie inside and snuggle under my quilt. Not sure how to pull it off with a hammock and keep my dog warm. If you have any ideas, I'd love to hear them.
    Dude...

Have you thought about carrying a 4 person tent for this guy...

Max , has to be loving this...

I can’t wait to meet him... Spring Hang?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.”

- Edmund Burke

Hammock
    dutch chameleon
    Tarp
    Batona Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    Loco Libre
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle Susp
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Maybe you should look into winter camping with a horse for clues about winter camping with an English mastiff. That dog is huge! I can't even imagine how much food you would have to carry.

He's definitely not sleeping in the hammock. You'll either have to get him his own tent or tent with him.
    lol

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    JacksRBetr 12 x 10
    Insulation
    JRB 20deg set
    Suspension
    Straps & Whoopies
    Big dogs need to stay on the ground. Not sure how cold Az winter overnights get, but EM's have pretty short coats, they'll likely need insulation and definitely a windbreak. And booties. Maybe someone has experience with one of these: https://www.k9ofmine.com/best-dog-beds-for-camping/ .

I have a year and a half old Bernese. She doesn't need insulation, just a windbreak, a sheet of reflectix and a spot under the hammock where I can pet her, but I do still keep her on a leash at night. I've only had her out overnight in the fall and TBH, the first time, I brought the tent. One advantage sharing a tent is that I don't need insulation, and she's not going to wander off and try to make friends with a bear or something.

Hammock
    Blackbird XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki / Snugpak
    Images
    I wouldn't take my dog camping during the winter here in Michigan, but he comes in early spring/late fall when it's cold. He's a 15lb shih tzu and he sleeps in the hammock with me, I just hold him like a teddy bear and we keep each other warm.

Hammock
    dutchware chameleon
    Tarp
    11' xenon hex tarp
    Insulation
    hg econ incubator
    Suspension
    beetle buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by Two Tents View Post
    Some sort of blanket or mat for the dog on the ground perhaps on top of a light plastic ground cloth. Then I hang at a lower height so my dog is just touching my under quilt and off to the side of me. I'll cover him with my coat. He also has a modified kids vest he wears at night and around camp.
    hey there two tents! i'm curious to know what modification you used for the kids vest, that sounds like a great idea! i actually use an XXL down vest as a quilt for my dog, just safety pin the arm holes closed and it works great

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast