Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Five days solo on the AT

Just did a five day out and back solo walk on the Approach Trail and AT covering a total of 66 miles. While I did shoot some video, the quality is so disappointing that I may or may not make a vid from it. Meanwhile, since this is hammockforums, I'll give you this short trip report concentrating on the hammocking aspects.

Day 1: Amicalola Falls State Park to Hawk Mountain Campground - 16.2 mile day: If you're not familiar with Hawk Mt. campground, it's about a half-mile south of Hawk Mt. Shelter. While not particularly scenic, it does have a good bit to recommend it as a stopping point. There's a water source, a privy and three bear boxes, along with 30 designated campsites, all numbered. The placard at the start of the trail leading to the campsite helpfully lists which sites are good for hammocks with a large "H" symbol. I stayed on site 18, where I've hung before. Lows were in the mid to low 40s all week, including this night. One couple arrived after me but they stayed pretty far away from me, so I paid them no attention and don't know if they tented or hammocked.

One highlight of the day was being on Springer to see a SOBO thru hiker finish up. Whip started in Maine on May 25 and happened to end at Springer the same time I walked up there.

Day 2: Hawk Mountain Campground to Lance Creek - 16.8 mile day: When I first arrived at Lance Creek it didn't seem that promising. Part of the area is roped off for re-forestation and there were a lot of blowdowns. Camping, per AWOL's Guide, is in designated campsites. The first three I came across behind the sign were pretty poor: flat tent sites, very close together and very exposed with few trees. A dedicated hammocker might have made a go of it, but it would not be pretty. Luckily I kept walking and found much better accommodations.

AWOL's Guide doesn't mention it, but there are bear cables at Lance Creek. Just beyond the bear cables I found a much better site, obviously popular and well used by tenters, but also with ample trees. I easily found two that would allow me to set up my tarp perpendicular to the wind, which worked great until the wind switched direction in the night and knocked down the sticks I was using for porch mode on what had been the lee side of the wind. The stakes, however, held and after the initial scare of my porch collapsing in the middle of the night, I rolled over and went back to sleep.

It appears I had the whole place to myself as I neither heard nor saw a soul at Lance Creek that night. Despite the wind, it was one of the best sleeping nights I've had in a while.

Day 3: Lance Creek to 1 mile south of Justus Creek - 10.7 mile day: Since I was now 33 miles away from my car, I decided that rather than press northward, I would turn around and retrace my steps, taking 3 days to walk back what I had walked out in 2 days, which would turn out to be a good decision based on the weather.

I meandered south during the day and ended up about a mile south of Justus Creek where I found a nice patch of woods tucked away. The wind wasn't much of an issue that night and I passed another comfortable night.

One highlight of Day 3 was meeting another thru hiker. Iceman was finishing a flip-flop and I ran into him at Preaching Rock north of Woody Gap about 9am. We leap frogged each other south during this day and the next.

On top of Ramrock Mountain I found the first and only hammocker I saw during my trip. A young lady was setting up an Eno and I stopped to talk shop a few minutes. She and her husband were new to hammocks but had somehow had the foresight or good luck to start out with Warbonnet Blackbirds and she was very complementary about their comfort. The Eno was just for lounging and she said it was an impulse buy she was just trying out for the first time that day. She had never heard of hammockforums, so I encouraged her to log in and then went on my way south.

Day 4: South of Justus Creek to Black Gap Shelter - 15 mile day: The weather started looking more menacing, colder and with a stiff breeze all day that would last into the night. I contemplated staying on top of Springer, but I reached it at 3pm and had plenty of daylight left so I pressed on, which was a good decision because it left me closer to the car for the rainy cold walk the next day. I ended up having Black Gap Shelter site all to myself, which I enjoyed, giving me my third night in a row totally alone. The wind was steady, hard and cold and I was shivering when I arrived, quickly getting into my base layer and using my rain jacket as a windbreaker. While the temperature never dropped below 42 that night, the gusts were probably 20 mph and the heat sucking strength of that wind can't be overstated.

The trees around Black Gap are mostly big and old and not conducive to hanging. It took me a little bit to find two trees that would work for me, mainly getting the proper orientation to block the wind. I figured rain was coming and so pitched the tarp low and tight. I made supper and at 7:30pm the rain started. I hopped on into the hammock and hoped for the best.

That night was the worst weather I have ever camped in, certainly since I've been hammocking. The wind howled, the rain came in torrents and the tarp kept getting pushed into the hammock. The hammock itself was rocking from the wind and I could feel the trees moving. I was scared of blowdowns, but they never happened. Despite the rough weather, every time during the night when I woke up I was warm and dry. I could tell, however, that the wind was still killing the warmth of the UQ. Every once in a while I could feel a burst sucking the heat out. I was never cold, but the difference this night compared to all the previous nights was stark.

I was up early and lay there a while thinking about how to pack up in what was still a torrential cold windy rain. My pack was dry under the hammock, lying on my Tyvek and wrapped in my rain jacket. Eventually I got up, stuffed the quilts into the trash compacter bag in the pack, snatched the hammock down and just bundled it under my rain jacket. Since nobody was in the shelter I used it for a gear explosion and packing up center as well as my kitchen for breakfast. The shelter itself was nearly soaked inside from blowing rain in the night and would have been a poor choice had anyone been there that night.

Day 5: Black Gap Shelter to Amicaloa Falls State Park - 7.3 mile day: A windy, cold walk in the rain back to the car. I reached the car at noon and motored the 2 hours home.

Notes of interest to the nerdy: I was mostly satisfied with my gear choices for this trip. I used my netless Dutchware hammock I've had for the last 4 years, along with the AHE Jarbidge UQ and Jacks 'R Better Hudson River TQ. With lows ranging from 42 to 47 each night I was toasty. In fact I was very nearly too warm the first few nights, mainly because I would put on my base layer when I reached camp and then wear it to sleep in when it really wasn't necessary. The quilts would have been perfectly adequate had I worn shorts and a t-shirt to sleep in. I hiked mostly in shorts and shirt and sweated going uphill.

The Quest tarp performed very well, especially considering what it weathered that last night. Had the wind shifted at all, I might have gotten wet but with the low tight setup perpendicular to the wind, I was dry and warm. There was some mist blown in near the head end of the hammock, but that's it. Only a tarp with doors could have prevented that. I was very pleased with the Quest's performance in those conditions and glad I had the 12-foot ridgeline version.

There would have been some value in having an UQ protector and/or a Grizz beak style door add-on for the tarp. I'll most definitely be thinking about one or both of those items for a future purchase. The UQ didn't get wet, but having another wind barrier would be valuable under the conditions I experienced that last night. On the other hand, I didn't need it 3 nights out of the 4 and would have had to carry the weight all week long, so it's still something to think about and ponder. It's also a good lesson in what the wind can do. The actual air temperature was 42 degrees and my quilts are rated well below that, but the wind wouldn't allow the quilts to function the same as they would in colder but less windy conditions. In other words, wind chill is real.

The whole purpose of the trip was for me to see how far and how fast I could go if I pushed myself and I have to say I'm a little disappointed in the results. I thought I had a 20-mile day in me. I don't. Even walking from 7:30am to 5:30pm, I got just under 17 miles at most. My breaks were few and short but I just can't get as far as I was hoping. My strength is okay but the stamina just isn't there. But now I know and can plan accordingly for future trips.

My sincere thanks to you guys on hammockforums. Using knowledge and techniques I learned here kept me safe and comfortable and allowed me to do something I dearly love, which is to be by myself in the woods.

DSCN3054.jpg
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    Warbonnet RR / BlackbirdXLC
    Tarp
    SimplyLightDesigns
    Insulation
    Lynx / LocoLibre
    Suspension
    webbing/buckles
    Images
    Sounds like a great trip overall. The weather in the fall can be unpredictable and it's not to be taken lightly as these strong fronts can bring some potentially dangerous weather. Thanks for sharing.

Hammock
    Half-wit (3 season), Chameleon (win
    Tarp
    Superfly, Thunderf
    Insulation
    EE Revelation 20*,
    Suspension
    Whoopie!
    Sweet write-up, thanks for sharing. It sounds like even with the last night you had a good outing.

Hammock
    11 Ft Dutch Hexon 1.0 Sidezip
    Tarp
    12 ft HG Quest
    Insulation
    3/4 Phoenix20
    Suspension
    Spiderpolybeetles
    Nice report Mr. Hornblower! Actually,anything over 15 miles a day ought to give a hiker braggin' rights.
    Glad that Quest passed the test.I think its one of the better tarps out there!

Hammock
    11' Argon
    Tarp
    HG CF
    Insulation
    HG UQ - DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Kevlar Tree Straps
    Very informative report. Sounded like a very good test of gear to prepare for longer trips and potentially colder weather. Also, sounds like a good mix of solitude and conversation for my liking as well. Most through hikers report that it takes a bit to get their trail legs, so I suspect it wouldn't take too long for you to be knocking out 20 mile days with no problem. Thanks for sharing!

Images
    Sid, that was one great report! If I could get in some 16 mile days, I would be happy. Though often I go from 300 ft elevation to 10,000+ and start hiking, and I think that can make a huge difference. Still, if I get 10 mile days I am tickled. Especially if I have several thousand feet of steep elevation gain, I would be really happy with 10.

You give great info regarding wind issues that can arise even with a large tarp. That is why, I suppose, I am such a fan of UQPs even if used with a smaller tarp. And probably why I am still a fan of my old HHSS with it's sill nylon UC and a snug, custom fit on that HH. I'll never forget that night it saved my butt, as the wind howled in the foot end of that small HH tarp, bouncing me around all night. But as warm and toasty as I slept, there might as well have been no wind at all. IMO, the benefits of an UQP can be stout, even if I make up some of the extra weight with a smaller tarp.

Quote Originally Posted by TrailSlug View Post
    The weather in the fall can be unpredictable and it's not to be taken lightly as these strong fronts can bring some potentially dangerous weather.
    It had the potential to be trouble, for sure. The fact that it started raining at 7:30pm and was still going strong the next morning - holy cow.

Quote Originally Posted by TxAggie View Post
    It sounds like even with the last night you had a good outing.
    It was fantastic, and making it through the last night relatively unscathed just made it better. Definitely some Type 2 fun the last 24 hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Five Tango View Post
    Glad that Quest passed the test.I think its one of the better tarps out there!
    As you and I know, that's a darn good tarp. Great combination of light weight and coverage and a good price too.

Quote Originally Posted by Rifleman View Post
    Also, sounds like a good mix of solitude and conversation for my liking as well.
    The solitude was wonderful. One great thing about meeting people on the trail is that you've always got an excuse to leave anytime you're ready: "Well, gotta get on down the trail."

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post

You give great info regarding wind issues that can arise even with a large tarp. That is why, I suppose, I am such a fan of UQPs...IMO, the benefits of an UQP can be stout...
    I'm giving serious thought to an UQP. In my mind the benefits on a night like the one I experienced are: 1)protection from wind robbing warmth from the quilt, 2)protection from splashed or blown rain coming under or around the tarp, 3)peace of mind. That last one is real. Every time I woke up that night I would worry, and worry leads to broken sleep. Sleeping well is the name of the game with a hammock, so a piece of gear that gives me that peace of mind would be a good addition.

Cheers.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by sidneyhornblower View Post
    ............................The Quest tarp performed very well, especially considering what it weathered that last night. Had the wind shifted at all, I might have gotten wet but with the low tight setup perpendicular to the wind, I was dry and warm. There was some mist blown in near the head end of the hammock, but that's it. Only a tarp with doors could have prevented that. I was very pleased with the Quest's performance in those conditions and glad I had the 12-foot ridgeline version.

There would have been some value in having an UQ protector and/or a Grizz beak style door add-on for the tarp. I'll most definitely be thinking about one or both of those items for a future purchase. The UQ didn't get wet, but having another wind barrier would be valuable under the conditions I experienced that last night. On the other hand, I didn't need it 3 nights out of the 4 and would have had to carry the weight all week long, so it's still something to think about and ponder. It's also a good lesson in what the wind can do. The actual air temperature was 42 degrees and my quilts are rated well below that, but the wind wouldn't allow the quilts to function the same as they would in colder but less windy conditions. In other words, wind chill is real.............................................. ......

I'm giving serious thought to an UQP. In my mind the benefits on a night like the one I experienced are: 1)protection from wind robbing warmth from the quilt, 2)protection from splashed or blown rain coming under or around the tarp, 3)peace of mind. That last one is real. Every time I woke up that night I would worry, and worry leads to broken sleep. Sleeping well is the name of the game with a hammock, so a piece of gear that gives me that peace of mind would be a good addition.

Cheers.
    I think you have truly added strong evidence to the benefit of UQPs by your experience on this trip. And the example is so excellent that it has me wondering why I am ever without one. This was a low of 42, with a quilt conservatively rated at 25F, which more than 1 person has taken well below 25F. And, you had a large high quality tarp, 12X10, is that right? Though you managed to sleep warm all night, you still felt it every time that wind got inside the tarp and sucked the heat out of the UQ. Luckily for you, you had plenty of reserve. But what if it was instead 25-30F? What if it was managing to blow some rain or snow onto your UQ? It would have been a very unpleasant night I think.

Of course, with a tarp that large, if you HAD to, you probably could have got up and made some adjustments so that the tarp was truly blocking most of the wind. In fact, had it been much colder, or there was blowing, swirling snow, you probably would have had to do just that. And then pray the wind does not shift again.

But the thing is with an UQP, it is always in the right position to block wind(and maybe rain/snow depending on what it is made out of), regardless of how a tarp is pitched or if the wind shifts. And really, regardless of tarp size or pitch, as long as it is big enough to handle the straight down stuff.

So picture the exact same scenario- lows in the upper 30s- lower 40s. Hanging from the only available trees right next to a lake, wind howling across that lake and straight into the foot end of that HH diamond shaped, asym tarp. No way to close that baby, forget it. And probably not much reserve on the warmth rating of that HHSS. Turns out my tenting buddies are snickering, making bets on how long I will last before I have to go to ground. Wind is bouncing my hammock around all night. When they wake me up the next morning, every one is packed up and anxious to get going, they want out of that cold camp. I am sleeping sound and toasty, sun is up and bright(but still cold and a bit windy). As it turned out, I was the only one either warm or comfy that night. If I had not had that HH under cover, or some sort of UQP, I'm sure I would have been forced to ground. Probably even if I had the very best 20F down UQ. I think you are right: peace of mind is real important for a good nights sleep, and IMO peace of mind goes up with an UQP.

Again, thanks for the great report!

Edit: LOL! Here is a picture of that set up on that actual trip, though the night before the real windy night I was telling about. You can tell I still had a lot to learn about pitching that tarp. It was very loose and floppy, and wide open on the ends, with the foot end facing right into the wind that last night. You an't tell much from this picture, but there is a sil-nylon cover surrounding the actual hammock, and it bailed my noob butt out.

Last edited by BillyBob58; 10-28-2018 at 15:00.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    But the thing is with an UQP, it is always in the right position to block wind...
    And that is the key! In fact, if I have to choose (and I may because of limited funding) between getting a Grizz beak add-on for the tarp or getting an underquilt protector, I'm going with the UQP. Done correctly, it's always going to be in exactly the right spot. Learning continues.

Cheers.

Banned
    Hammock
    Dutch
    Tarp
    HG Quest
    Insulation
    20/-20Wooki, LL0*
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    You are one lucky dude to get five days alone to hike. I'd love to dump my wife and kids for 5 days. Heck, 50 days!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast