Tarp
    Custom made for me
    Insulation
    Te-Wa UQ, SPE
    Suspension
    whoopie or cinch

SPE and the Clark NA, insulation newbie

Looking for some thoughts and feedback.

I'm trying to get my insulation set up just right. Warmest and Lightest possible.

I have a regular Clark NA. I'm an extremely cold sleeper. I do not sweat at night, well that I have ever noticed. I would like to set my gear for down to 20 degrees at night. Here's my thoughts:

*I have a Te-Wa winter UQ

*Just bought a SPE with 4 slots on each side. (I'm a bigger girl, wanted the coverage), along with 4 CC pads for slots (not sure how that will all fit, might only be able to use the slots closer to the center due to the clark zipper)

*either a neo air regular 14oz or my big agnes 3/4 insulated inflatable pad 19oz

* 1/4" GG x 40" wide pad (to be cut when I decide what to do)

*My bag is a montbell Super stretch #2 (awesome)

All together = warmth and WEIGHT! argghgh

I also have a down jacket, REI hiking shirt, hiking pants, mid weight base layers, awesome 3oz down booties!

Does this seem too much? I also will have my custom winterdream tarp.

I'm such a chicken when it comes to cold. My hubby and I are still fiddling with the UQ to fit around the pockets and such, and I'm open to tweeking my set up.

p.s. Yes I have switched out my tie outs to whoopie slings (thanks to a Stormcrow purchase) and I do have a WBBB double layer to use, but I thought my weather shield would benefit me down to these temps. But I will have the tarp...I don't know. grrrrr. Decisions are so frustrating when you are a newbie. Shoe shopping is easier. lol HELP please. Trying to keep my pack under 35lbs and I would like t use my Clark on this weekend Sycamore canyon trip.

*Pic only reflects practice hang. Now using WB tree straps on both ends to the whoopie slings, and UQ not set completely
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Skittles; 03-03-2010 at 00:48. Reason: info on attached pic
    It's not the pace....it's the experience.

SKITTLES

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    What I've found that helps me the most is simply to Practice, practice, practice!! Meaning, try out all your gear, in different combinations and at the lowest temps that you can. And do this before your trip. Unfortunately, your trip is this weekend. So, take as much of your gear as you can carry. If you have to make a decision between things, try to bring more for your bottom insulation than your top. Your sleeping bag will not give you much insulation value for the part that's under you, so don't count that as part of your "under" insulation, only as top and side insulation. You've got that TeWa winter under quilt, make sure you have it up snug to the bottom of your hammock. I've found that if I've got any gaps with my under quilt and my hammock, that I end up with cool to down right cold spots. Check the fit after you get inside your hammock by sticking your hand out and under you, between the layers. If you think the UQ is gaping to far away from your hammock, with you in it, then you need to adjust it. If you have someone there that you're comfortable with them checking out this for you......
    I've been on trips with the same clothes and same under & top quilts and if I tied my under quilt to loose, I slept cold. Even on other trips when the temps were MUCH lower, still using the same quilts, If I tied the quilts on right, I then slept warm & toasty.
    One more thought... just to be on the safe side... pack some of those instant heat packs to throw down inside your sleeping bag.
    Post back after your trip.

TinaLouise

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    I recently bought a Clark NX 250 and did have done some winter camping in two different hammocks. One night was 11 another night 20. I slept quite warm with the following system. I had a full length homemade synthetic UQ, A 25" wide Thermarest air mattress only slightly filled with air, and sort piece of Wally World 1/2" foam that ran under the air mattress and out to the sides (creating wings) just in the shoulder area. I slept in a Mountain Hardwear zero degree bag. On the eleven degree night I was in a Claytor Jungle Hammock and the twenty degree night I was in the Clark. The Clark of course has a weather shield and the Claytor does not. I stayed warm both nigts but must say the weather shield really makes a difference...especially keeping out wind. When I slept in the Clark it also snowed most of the night. With the shield I was toatally protected from blowing snow and wind. I think you'll be plenty warm with what you have.

Miguel

PS I also sleep cold. I also wore down booties. (highly recommended)

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7Dbl & Clark NA for winter
    Tarp
    Custom made for me
    Insulation
    Te-Wa UQ, SPE
    Suspension
    whoopie or cinch
    Thank you both for the great feedback. Definitely going to bring those hand warmers. We just bought the eno ember for one of my husbands set up, so between what he carries and myself, I think we can swap around until we find our needs met.

I am going out tomorrow to set up again and get that UQ brought up real close. I will advise my findings. and of course how the weekend went.

Thank you again for your help.

SKITTLES

Hammock
    diy fiddle factor
    Tarp
    diy cat cut hex
    Insulation
    whatever
    Suspension
    openable whoopies
    Images
    i also have the clark na.do not forget about your pockets.any thing you are not wearing can go in those pockets for more warmth(assumeing they do not interfere with your uq)gloves,mittens spare long johns,tp,extra rope,shirts anything that could be insulation.i just got back from a three night in the woods trip.all i used under me was the pockets filled with cloths,ect.wrapped my coat around the foot end.had a 30 degf bag.wore light long unders,light wool sweater and hat.no socks.two 30 deg nights.3rd night was 16degf,i added a wool blankit.warm every night.also eat lots of carbs before bed.have some snacks in hammock with you if you wake up cold,eat,your body needs fuel to stay warm.very important!
    warm hangin
    bill

Hammock
    BB1.0 double
    Tarp
    Hybrid Cuben F.
    Insulation
    Down & IX
    Suspension
    BB straps,whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by lonetracker View Post
    also eat lots of carbs before bed.have some snacks in hammock with you if you wake up cold,eat,your body needs fuel to stay warm.very important!
    warm hangin
    bill
    eatting at night is a great idea. I've found that if I don't eat enough towards the end of the day, that I do tend to sleep cooler and need more insulation around me to stay warm.

The only thing I would disagree with though is the having of snacks in the hammock with you, part. I tend to think that could lead to "you" becoming the "snack" for a roaming bear

I will always hang all my food and smellies away from my hammock. If I wake up hungry, I'll either tough it out till morning or get up and start breakfast. I'm just far to paranoid of bears to have any kind of food in the hammock with me.

TinaLouise

Hammock
    diy fiddle factor
    Tarp
    diy cat cut hex
    Insulation
    whatever
    Suspension
    openable whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TinaLouise View Post
    eatting at night is a great idea. I've found that if I don't eat enough towards the end of the day, that I do tend to sleep cooler and need more insulation around me to stay warm.

The only thing I would disagree with though is the having of snacks in the hammock with you, part. I tend to think that could lead to "you" becoming the "snack" for a roaming bear

I will always hang all my food and smellies away from my hammock. If I wake up hungry, I'll either tough it out till morning or get up and start breakfast. I'm just far to paranoid of bears to have any kind of food in the hammock with me.

TinaLouise
    you are right of course.i am willing to risk it when i think they are hibernating.winter is coming to an end.in some places they may be awakening,no longer worth the risk.thank you TL for straightening out my erroneous advice.
    hangin hungry
    bill
    Last edited by lonetracker; 03-04-2010 at 10:16. Reason: sign it

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    And don't forget to throw in a waterbottle full of hot water!
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7Dbl & Clark NA for winter
    Tarp
    Custom made for me
    Insulation
    Te-Wa UQ, SPE
    Suspension
    whoopie or cinch

Thank you again

All of this is great information. Looks like I might face an incoming storm, so I will really be able to test most of my gear, winter tarp, dry ducks, etc. I will post upon my return and let you know how it went. The hot water bottle idea, I forgot about...thanks for reminding me!

SKITTLES

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    I would suggest running your suspension cords up to where stretch cords going to tarp connect to hammock. This will pull the quilt up and around your shoulders to ensure you get full coverage. You can just put it in the clip that attachs to the D-ring for a quick connect. This also helps to seal ends against the Clark without having to over adjust the UQ ends.

Another trick to take advantage of the pockets is lay opposite of normal (head in foot end). This would allow you to stuff the last pocket with any extra clothing and help keep feet warm in addition to a small pad. I would not suggest using anything in pockets in the UQ area. The zippers will not be as convenient but insulation will be better.

The Te-Wa winter quilt looks like a great quilt with lots of loft that will probably be all you need under your torso area. It is probably about 4'long so a 6' person would only need to insulate under head and feet. Most people use something as a pillow that will be enough insulation so that only leaves a little bit at the foot end. I normally carry a 20"x48" pad in the 20's. If it gets really cold I double it up under the feet. I do not think you will need the inflatable pad in the 20's. Take your SPE with pads for insurance the first couple trips and then decide how much pad to bring. Nice thing about a Clark I think it is real easy to get the UQ to work and seal to hammock.

Just my opinion, wife says its not worth anything

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast