Dutch 11' Netless
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG UQ / TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by mathineer View Post
    I checked out the website for Taum Sauk. They state that the group site is available for "non-profit organized youth groups". While we are definitely non-profit, I'm not sure we qualify for the youth or organized categories. I may go ahead and check anyway, but I'm not too hopeful and I'm a dedicated procrastinator...

Otherwise, I'll probably take the day, or at least the afternoon off, and go down and snag a couple of camp sites. Prices are a little lower in the off-season, and early January is about as off as it gets.

mathineer
    Thanks Mathineer! I plan on taking half the day off as well to try to get there a little early, if I can.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB Universal Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    Web-cinch buckles
    Taum Sauk website also says 2 inch tree straps are required at the appropriate height per "special management rule," whatever that means. It is also first come, first served. So many rules. No wonder I just camp on my own property.

Hammock
    Dutch 11' Netless
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG UQ / TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing/Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Elmer003 View Post
    Taum Sauk website also says 2 inch tree straps are required at the appropriate height per "special management rule," whatever that means. It is also first come, first served. So many rules. No wonder I just camp on my own property.
    2" tree straps Will do.....

Hammock
    DIY 11 ft
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY various
    Suspension
    straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Elmer003 View Post
    Where is that? I can't find it on the website.

I have camped there many times with standard 1" tree straps.

mathineer

Hammock
    DIY 11 ft
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY various
    Suspension
    straps
    Where is that? I can't find it on the website.

I have camped there many times with standard 1" tree straps.

mathineer
    I found it: https://mostateparks.com/page/54939/...nd-regulations

Those are apparently general rules for all Missouri parks.

mathineer

Hammock
    summer XLC,winter dutch 11' netless
    Tarp
    HG dyneema hex
    Insulation
    HG UQ, EE TQ
    Suspension
    webbing/cam buckle
    Images
    I agree with Elmer that rules can be quite a nuisance. According to the MO parks website, at Taum Sauk SP the camping fee per site is $12/night, with a maximum of two vehicles and two "sleeping units" per site. Based on Mathineer's comment, I assume they won't enforce the 2" tree strap rule. Hopefully they won't enforce the prohibition of bringing firewood from home either. Or the "two sleeping units per site" rule. Or the "maximum of six people using a designated campsite" rule if we all congregate around one fire ring. And what happens on the second night when (presumably) we will be camping down near the falls? Will we have to pay for a second night? Just wondering.

Hammock
    DIY 11 ft
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY various
    Suspension
    straps
    Quote Originally Posted by twentybelow View Post
    I agree with Elmer that rules can be quite a nuisance. According to the MO parks website, at Taum Sauk SP the camping fee per site is $12/night, with a maximum of two vehicles and two "sleeping units" per site. Based on Mathineer's comment, I assume they won't enforce the 2" tree strap rule. Hopefully they won't enforce the prohibition of bringing firewood from home either. Or the "two sleeping units per site" rule. Or the "maximum of six people using a designated campsite" rule if we all congregate around one fire ring. And what happens on the second night when (presumably) we will be camping down near the falls? Will we have to pay for a second night? Just wondering.
    There is a large parking lot at the trailhead. If we park there on day 2, there is no charge.

As for the 2" tree strap, I have no idea when that rule came about or how diligent they are about enforcing it - it might be recent. I'll probably go ahead and buy some 2" webbing and make myself some straps since the rule apparently applies to all MO parks. It'd be a bummer to get called on it and forced to leave. That said, I doubt most rangers are going to go around inspecting folks that are acting responsibly. They generally just drive by and wave if you see them at all.

We can switch to some other place if folks are worried about it. Hazel Creek campsite is on National Forest and the OT runs through there. It's pretty remote. It's not near as pretty a site, though, but the creek runs right by the campground. 20below - you probably went through there on your through hike of the OT!

mathineer

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG dyneema hex
    Insulation
    HG UQ, EE TQ
    Suspension
    webbing/cam buckle
    Images
    There is a large parking lot at the trailhead. If we park there on day 2, there is no charge.

mathineer
    I saw that trailhead parking lot on the map and wondered if free overnight parking was allowed there. Thanks for clearing that up! How many campsites are there at Taum Sauk? We might need quite a few if we have a large turnout like last year.

Yes, I remember the Hazel Creek campground from my OT thru-hike... "remote" is an accurate description!

Looking forward to seeing you and the rest of the gang again. One year between meet-ups is too long!

Hammock
    DIY 11 ft
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY various
    Suspension
    straps
    Quote Originally Posted by twentybelow View Post
    I saw that trailhead parking lot on the map and wondered if free overnight parking was allowed there. Thanks for clearing that up! How many campsites are there at Taum Sauk? We might need quite a few if we have a large turnout like last year.

Yes, I remember the Hazel Creek campground from my OT thru-hike... "remote" is an accurate description!

Looking forward to seeing you and the rest of the gang again. One year between meet-ups is too long!
    I think there are about 12 pay sites. Number 9 is my favorite! Number 9, number 9, number 9... Number 6 is my second choice. (And if a six turned out to be 9, well I don't mind...)

I definitely want to get out more in the coming year. Once a year just ain't enough!

mathineer

Hammock
    Tarp
    HG dyneema hex
    Insulation
    HG UQ, EE TQ
    Suspension
    webbing/cam buckle
    Images
    I think there are about 12 pay sites. Number 9 is my favorite! Number 9, number 9, number 9... Number 6 is my second choice. (And if a six turned out to be 9, well I don't mind...)

I definitely want to get out more in the coming year. Once a year just ain't enough!

mathineer
    Careful with those 1960's music lyrics mathineer... you're giving away your age!

Speaking of oldies-but-goodies, I see the park offers a senior discount for which this geezer now qualifies. coo coo ca-choo!

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast