Tarp
    DCF
    Insulation
    EE
    Suspension
    Webbing & Buckles

Michigander looking for backpacking partner

Hello!

I've been backpacking for a couple years and read these forums heavily when I was getting started. Unfortunately, I never really participated in the community and I'm beginning to think that was pretty stupid of me.

I was originally planning on backpacking with my wife but I've caught the bug worse than she has. To top it off I can't convince any of my friends to go camping let alone lug 20+ pounds of gear on their back. I seem to be stuck with mostly solo adventures, which I love, but I think having a friend to share in the accomplishments would be equally awesome.

What have I done? Mostly weekend trips around Michigan. My favorite backpacking trips have been Pictured Rocks in the UP and Shenandoah NP. I've also done day hikes in Big Bend NP and Death Valley NP which were amazing. I had 2 trips to the Smokies fall through due to hurricane weather but I'm going to go eventually.

What do I want it of this? Ideally a friend. I don't mind helping someone get started but I would like to hike between 10-20 miles per day in the end. I don't need to crush miles but I enjoy the extra mileage. The majority of trips would be in the east coast with a few out west.

Besides hiking I like games (board, video, whatever) and photography. I'm not into sports but I do play fantasy football. You figure it out. I'm pretty laid back and can be on the quiet side if truth be told.

I love my Warbonnet Blackbird.

Edit: I'm from the Detroit area but I'm willing to travel and I'm 39.

If you have any other questions, just ask!
    Last edited by Trust Your Wanderlust; 11-11-2018 at 22:46.

Hammock
    WB BBXLC, DH, DIY, GT Hybrid
    Tarp
    Etowah Outfitters
    Insulation
    HG TQ and JRB UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    It can be hard to find the right partner for hiking and camping, but one will show up eventually. Welcome aboard from Missouri.

Hammock
    3xWBBB1.0dbl, XLC, DIY
    Tarp
    superfly, maccat d
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ/UGQ/HG
    Suspension
    whoopies, E.trunks
    Michigan but where? Detroit, GR, thumb, TC. May get a few more hits on hiking partners
    http://smartoutdoors.webs.com/ elephant trunks, tarp keys and crosses

Welcome to the forums. Come out to a group hang sometime! It's a great way to meet other like minded folk.

Hammock
    Towns-End Luxury Bridge
    I recently attended the Michigan Chili Hang and was mildly surprised to find that many of the folks there were in the 'West Michigan hiking and Backpacking' group on facebook.
    Being 40 myself I'm not always up on facebook or other internet options... so maybe less of a shocker for others, lol.

Point being... with over 2000 members that may be a better resource than reaching out here for backpacking trips. I'll leave it up to individuals who'd care to chime in to do so rather than name them... but several of them are not super active here, but active backpackers and active within that group.

Me... I'm a solo backpacker and really not a group person for backpacking trips... definitely not interested in pairing up with someone unless it's a family member or close friend.

I think many backpackers are reluctant to randomly grab a partner unless you're both just getting going and looking for safety in numbers.
    Though I do enjoy coming to group hangs for many reasons, though backpacking specifically isn't really high on the list.
    Hammocks are very interesting in the diversity of outdoor folks who participate... so backpacking is one of many forms rather than a focus.
    That said... a group hang can be a great way to just get a chance to BS with folks and see if your personalities mesh for a future trip.

• + New Posts