Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Redwood Guy View Post
    lol, I myself have been wondering how many feet of rope/webbing I'm going to have to take

We got this one tree up here that is 62.5 feet in circumference

That would make for one hell of a big whoopie sling, eh!!

Well, anyway, thanks for the welcome mate! I was looking at one of the UQ by the guy you mentioned... guess everybody is saying I won't need to go full length though, but instead maybe a 3/4 length. One of those things I guess I just have to trust all of you on as I'm getting start with all of this.
    I vote full length, but it's your decision. Why not see if you can try a 3/4 length somewhere? People at group hangs are usually willing to let you try their hammocks. Maybe someone will rent (or lend) one to you. It doesn't hurt to ask. Or get a 3/4 length UQ with the option to trade up to full length - any of you cottage industry guys do that?

Banned
    Images
    Hey Scottybdiving & WV, thanks for the welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by Scottybdiving View Post
    Welcome Redwood guy. I was in Arcata for a friend's wedding a few years back. He is Curtis of Curtis and David winery but he is not a hammocker. I was there in August, drove over from Redding. It was 98 whwn we left Redding and we were wearing shorts and t-shirts. Arrived at the winery for pre-wedding party and everyone was wearing wool. He doesn't have to refrigerate his winery in the summer.

Beautiful area. I loved Trinidad and that state park on the coast there, I can't remember the name.
    Yeah, most of the people from Arcata/Eureka/Trinidad go to Redding to get some sun... and, most of the people from Redding come here on the weekends to get out of the heat. giggle.

Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    I vote full length, but it's your decision. Why not see if you can try a 3/4 length somewhere? People at group hangs are usually willing to let you try their hammocks. Maybe someone will rent (or lend) one to you. It doesn't hurt to ask. Or get a 3/4 length UQ with the option to trade up to full length - any of you cottage industry guys do that?
    Do you suggest the full length because of my cold feet issue, or because you just prefer a full length?

Realistically, how much of an overall body heat difference are there between the two? In 45 degree weather with a standard multi-layer of clothing... the full length drive me out because of heat, whereas the 3/4 might be perfect temp, and a 1/2 length make me a bit chilly? Do they work that way, or is it simply a matter of keeping different/all parts of your body warm?

Thanks!
    John

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Due to the rain you mentioned you may also want to consider this hammock...the Clark NX 250. It has a weathershield that really keeps out the wind and rain.

http://www.junglehammock.com/models/nx250/index.php

Good luck and welcome, Miguel

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Redwood Guy View Post
    Do you suggest the full length because of my cold feet issue, or because you just prefer a full length?

Realistically, how much of an overall body heat difference are there between the two? In 45 degree weather with a standard multi-layer of clothing... the full length drive me out because of heat, whereas the 3/4 might be perfect temp, and a 1/2 length make me a bit chilly? Do they work that way, or is it simply a matter of keeping different/all parts of your body warm?

Thanks!
    John
    For me, it's just a matter of keeping all parts of me warm without needing to keep a closed cell foam pad in place under my legs. I use DIY insulated hammocks (full length) and have not had issues with an air gap under my knees. Having plenty of insulation under you is not likely to drive you out because of the heat unless you're in a very warm climate. Here in the mountains of WV ("Almost Heaven") temperature regulation in a hammock can usually be accomplished by adjusting top covers only.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    A Whooooo Buddy Welcome Redwood Guy...
    I have been doing a video primer on all thing hammock .... especially for new folks.
    Might help you out with some ideas ..... Part 1: Hammock How-Tos
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Banned
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    A Whooooo Buddy Welcome Redwood Guy...
    I have been doing a video primer on all thing hammock .... especially for new folks.
    Might help you out with some ideas ..... Part 1: Hammock How-Tos
    Shug
    Hey Shug, thanks for the welcome!! Been a subscriber of your youtube account for awhile now. I'm "RedwoodOutdoors" over there. Had a question about your backpack in your last 2 vids... what kind of backpack was that? Do you stuff them into our pack or attach them on the outside?

Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    For me, it's just a matter of keeping all parts of me warm without needing to keep a closed cell foam pad in place under my legs. I use DIY insulated hammocks (full length) and have not had issues with an air gap under my knees. Having plenty of insulation under you is not likely to drive you out because of the heat unless you're in a very warm climate. Here in the mountains of WV ("Almost Heaven") temperature regulation in a hammock can usually be accomplished by adjusting top covers only.
    Yeah, that is exactly why I was thinking that the full-size would be the best way to go. Realize the weight is a bit more, but beyond that, I do not get the reason for three different lengths.

One of the things I've been thinking about doing, but did not know if it would help much (any??) would be to use one of these: http://www.cabelas.com/link-12/produ...3510214a.shtml

With me going with the double-layer WBBB I figured I could place one of those inside the two layers and reflect some heat. Any thoughts on the stupidity or widsom of that?

Thanks guys,
    John

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    =Redwood Guy;219467Hey Shug, thanks for the welcome!! Been a subscriber of your youtube account for awhile now. I'm "RedwoodOutdoors" over there. Had a question about your backpack in your last 2 vids... what kind of backpack was that? Do you stuff them into our pack or attach them on the outside?
    That is a ULA Catalyst back. If my tarp is wet I put it in the mesh panel ... if dry ...into a stuffsack and in the pack.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    Another Californian is always welcome!

You won't need to worry about pack changes - everything fits in any pack I use, if it's big enough. No tent poles, no worries. It all stuffs.

Quilts will give you the advantage of less bulk. Sleeping bag users will, if anything, have less chance of drafts as there's more bag - unless you have one of those big agnes deals with no insulation on the bottom, using those as a quilt is definitely gonna make you cold on one side. That said, I don't have a problem with drafts with quilts, and only hear of problems with such when folks use 'em on the ground.

I think one of the issues you might have is fog - so what I suggest instead of a whole hammock enclosure is a weathershield, like the JRB driducks poncho setup.

If you ever get down to the central coast or head for Yosemite, SEKI, or surroundings, give me a holler, we'll go shock some Californians with the Blackbirds.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Welcome Redwood Guy; Nice to see some new west coasters once and a while. I have to say the first thing that popped into my head was how long your tree huggers might be LOL.
    WBBB is great, Either tarp will work. Forget the Burrito for now. I'd just go with a 3 season yeti or Crowsnest for an Underquilt and use a small piece of ccf and down booties for your feet . Just use your jetboil and sleeping bag for the time being and you'll get a sense of what you want to do about that a little later although if its a big sleeping bag you might want to cut down on the weight and Jacks r Better has a sale on now, Hudson River Quilt. You can open most of your sleeping bag up and use it as a top quilt. Jetboil, you may want to light that up later, or not. Alcohol stoves are very nice, light, cheap and above all quiet. You might think about a ridgeline kit from Arrowhead . You have a good start on the gear and you will make changes as you go along. I just switched to hanging last fall and its been fun to put together the gear. Shug's video's are a good primer and entertaining . Its been a while since Iv'e been to the redwoods but liked your area.
    best
    bill
    PS you could do a one stop shop with Brandon at warbonnet and get the WBBB, superfly, yeti and Mamba and see about a package deal,,,just thinking out loud.
    cheers
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    MW3
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Welcome Redwood Guy,
    I bought my first professionally made UQ this year and I was having the same trouble with the decision between a 3/4 and a full length. I found out Jacks R Better makes the Mount Washington 3 convertible. It is a 3 season full length UQ that has a detachable foot end. http://www.jacksrbetter.com/Mt%20Washington.htm (scroll to the bottom) I only had the dough for 1 quilt and this seemed to be the best solution for me. The temp rating seems to be what your looking for.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast