Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TiredFeet View Post
    Not trying to hi-jack the thread, but also don't want to starta new thread for a similar question.

On webbing tie out loops, JRB puts a twist in the webbing. I have seen other vendors do the same. Also I think strapworks will put such a twist in the loops on huggers.

I think the twist is supposed to make inserting line through the loop easier.

I find the twist makes it much more difficult to do just that.

What do others think of the twist?

1. Easier,
    2. more dificult, or
    3. no difference

Just wondering. I figure vendors put the twist there for a reason other than to have me swear at it.
    yep. I think the twist serves to narrow the width at one point to make it easier to poke a line through, would at least if the tape folds at the twist.

Can't say that I've found it to be an advantage. I put tabs in on a beak yesterday, took 1" grosgrain, folded in half the long way and ran a stitch down the long way to make a sturdy 1/2" tab. Thin enough to poke cord through easily, no funny geometry.
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    DIY (&c.)
    Quote Originally Posted by oldgringo View Post
    They just look like an unnecessary piece of hardware, to me.
    Indeed, I prefer avoid D-rings and other hardware (like cord locks ).

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    I put tabs in on a beak yesterday, took 1" grosgrain, folded in half the long way and ran a stitch down the long way to make a sturdy 1/2" tab. Thin enough to poke cord through easily, no funny geometry.
    Did you fold and sew the full length, or leave the ends flat to give more sewing area (sort of like a dog biscuit or bow tie)? How does grosgrain hold up with use? I've been using 1/2" polypropylene webbing for tie-out loops lately, but grosgrain would be lighter.

Images
    i like them, like other's have said, alot easier to add/remove lines, and no abrasion from a truckers (which is one of the best ways to tension guylines)

my lines are hitched to the pull tabs (easy with rings there), i just go around the stake, back through the ring and pull to tighten (3:1). just wrap the slack around a couple times and tie off with a single slipped half hitch. won't slip no matter how tight you pull it.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    I like them: as mentioned, abrasion resistance. And, as they (In my mind) put less strain on the webbing, the webbing will last longer. If a D ring fails, I can fall back on the webbing loop.

Mine came with my OES tarp, else I would not have them, but after a few trips, I am happy they are on my tarp.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

I think D rings are useful and pretty harmless.I am currently using experimenting with small strong plastic rings.

That webbing twist I have always been suspicious of it I can see its meant to keep the loop open to some degree.I think it looks messy.Although I have seen a similar twist on tarp corners which I like.

Hammock
    Homemade
    Tarp
    Homemade silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or UCR
    Images

D Ring breakage

I used to use plastic D rings until several broke during a windstorm. No big deal, I just tied the tarp lines to the webbing loops I had sewn in for the D rings.

Lesson learned - I never had a piece of sewn in webbing pull out - so webbing only for me from now on.

HYOH

Hammock
    my DIY hammock
    Tarp
    my DIY tarp
    I use two d rings on my tarp RL for now. I did that because I wanted to use a garda hitch to pull my tarp tight along the RL. For me, its about the ease of use and durability as well as options. Gotta keep my options open!

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tpkanu View Post
    I used to use plastic D rings until several broke during a windstorm. No big deal, I just tied the tarp lines to the webbing loops I had sewn in for the D rings.

Lesson learned - I never had a piece of sewn in webbing pull out - so webbing only for me from now on.

HYOH
    What kind of D-rings did you use? I had a MacCat D-ring bend a mini-biner and all it had was a small dent in the plastic.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    So if abrasion resistance is the big deal, I recall somebody here (Grizz?) was putting in small pieces of vinyl tubing in the ends of the tabs.

They were held in with a stitch or two. A heavy-duty needle will go through vinyl tubing relatively easily... I find it hard to thread line through the webbing loops with cold fingers.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast