Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bridge Hammock Pack Concept

Anyone seen this?
    http://www.thepacka.com/strappack/index.html

Do you think it's possible to make Gearskin like pack using the spreader bars from the bridge hammock as stays?

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Man that thing looks uncomfortable as a hammock.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Images
    Yep, I saw that a while back and I still think it would be heavy and uncomfortable.

I'm not talking about making that. I' talking about making a Bridge hammock with straps

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by funbun View Post
    I'm not talking about making that. I' talking about making a Bridge hammock with straps
    Not too sure what you mean.

Where are you thinking the straps would go?

Maybe replacing some or all of the fabric?

Don't understand how it relates to the Bridge Hammock.

lvleph - why would it be heavy? The pads wouldn't be heavy, maybe the webbing, but there isn't much of it.

Uncomfortable - probably. But then as an emergency backup, it may be more comfortable than sleeping on the ground

Given the delicacy of some pads, it might not be too sturdy. Wouldn't want to move around in the hammock much.

Quote Originally Posted by TeeDee View Post

Don't understand how it relates to the Bridge Hammock
    Moonbow Gear's Power Pack System.

So the straps would go under the hammock fabric. I don't think it'd be a good idea, but I was just wondering if it could be done.

Images
    Okay, I say go for it and tell us how it is. Or you could just get the moonbow and use your hammock as the shell.

Red face I've made a couple gearskin-type hammocks

I am the inventor of the Strappack and Strap0lounger. They are basically the same thing, but you add tree straps to make it a lounger (hammock). I had one set up at Traildays a couple years back and one at the Gathering last year. The pics on my website are probably at least 4 years old. And over all that time, I have never slept in one. I have carried them as a backpack/sleeping pad for about 30 miles with 1 good trip and 1 horrible trip. Hence, they have become more of just a novelty to me, and not something I really market. I do occasionally have people contact me about it, but I have never sold one. I have probably made around 20 all together. I have given all but 2 away, Hammock Hanger and Shane Steinkamp (http://www.theplacewithnoname.com/hiking/) have 2 of the better ones. The last time I talked to Shane, he told me he did carry it as his backpack and used it as a chair by suspending it loosely, but that was a couple years ago. I don't think Hammock Hanger uses hers.

My biggest problem with it as a hammock was the tree strapping mechanisms. I wanted something obviously lightweight, but easy to tension and quick to release, and able to withstand heavy tension. My idea is for this to lay as flat as possible. The pictures on the website are using 1.5 inch plastic side-release buckles, which work great for short term use, but break quickly. I did set up my lastest Strap0lounger a couple months ago using motorcycle tie down straps and they worked ok, not sure how they would work long term. I've included a couple pictures of this latest set-up.

I have also made a couple like funbun originally mentioned, like a gear skin you can suspend between trees. I guess basically no sleeping pad is attatched. But they were designed to be more bridge hammocks first and backpack second. Never carried nor slept in one. Same problems as above, unhappy with tree strapping mechanism. If you saw my booth at Trail Days this year, that orange table cloth was actually one. It works very well as a table cloth since I can stake it down.

And finally, I also invented a whole completely new type of hammock. I call it the single swing. Of course the one and only time I set it up, it failed miserably. I think I could make it work but it would require more stakes than I am willing to carry. I have some ideas for modifications that may make it work better, but have not had time to play with it anymore. I'll post some pics of the first single swing.
    Cedar Tree
    Attached Images Attached Images

I can't open the pictures for some reason.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TeeDee View Post

Don't understand how it relates to the Bridge Hammock.

lvleph - why would it be heavy? The pads wouldn't be heavy, maybe the webbing, but there isn't much of it.

Uncomfortable - probably. But then as an emergency backup, it may be more comfortable than sleeping on the ground

Given the delicacy of some pads, it might not be too sturdy. Wouldn't want to move around in the hammock much.
    I consider anything over 1lb on the heavy side.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast