Hammock
    my DIY hammock
    Tarp
    my DIY tarp

New DIY Hammock: Need Feedback

OK, well it is official. I am a DIY junkie. Jumped in feet first to the hammock community with my own DIY hammock, then stuff sacks, then a PHS, and now I am considering another hammock.

I am pondering two questions though and would like some input from all you other DIYers out there.
    (1) A single layer 1.1 will hold, but would it behoove me to consider double layer to slide my pad into? and are there some templates or posts out there to help with some pointers?
    (2) I want to use the warbonnet style whipping on this hammock. I don't have to worry about reinforcing the channel do I since the suspension attaches below the whipping to the hammock itself?

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by opie984 View Post
    OK, well it is official. I am a DIY junkie. Jumped in feet first to the hammock community with my own DIY hammock, then stuff sacks, then a PHS, and now I am considering another hammock.

I am pondering two questions though and would like some input from all you other DIYers out there.
    (1) A single layer 1.1 will hold, but would it behoove me to consider double layer to slide my pad into? and are there some templates or posts out there to help with some pointers?
    I'm a fan of the classics. See Risk's ZHammock instructions.

(2) I want to use the warbonnet style whipping on this hammock. I don't have to worry about reinforcing the channel do I since the suspension attaches below the whipping to the hammock itself?
    That's correct. That channel bears no load.
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    my DIY hammock
    Tarp
    my DIY tarp
    Grizz thanks for pointing me to the Zhammock instructions. One more questions about that since Risk didn't address it in his article. Is this designed to lay in the hammock at an angle? It just seems at first glance that it would be hard to line up the pad with how you will be laying if it is a diagonal rather than straight line lay. Perhaps I am missing the boat on this. Of should I sew in a "guide channel" for my pad?

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB
    Tarp
    GG, DIY
    Insulation
    CCF + 40* mummy
    Suspension
    Amsteel UCR
    Images
    I made one of these just a few weeks ago, throwing the pad in at an angle is not a problem at all. No need for pad guides. I did mod the design a little, I hemmed the center portion and sewed the layers together near the ends instead of the other way around. Works great, Getting the pad in is not a problem (so far) and I have been able to put the pad on an angle easily. I should note that mine is 60" wide, and about 6" longer than zhammock so that's probably why I can slip the pad in from the middle instead of the head/foot without a problem.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    agreed, width is the key to getting your pad in at an angle.

I don't use a pad often enough to have a call on whether you'd want a diagonal pad channel...
    Grizz
    (alias ProfessorHammock on youtube)

Hammock
    my DIY hammock
    Tarp
    my DIY tarp
    PP, thanks. I think I will just try it without sewing the channel @ first. I can always go back and add it later if I need to

Hammock
    my DIY hammock
    Tarp
    my DIY tarp
    OK, so I sewed up my new hammock following the modified plan PhatPenquin described (Thanks again). I used 6 yards total and it turned out a little, well...um...short. Even though it is a little short for me, I must say that I loved being able to slip my pad between the layers and it not wiggle around at all.

BTW, already have plans to "loan/give" this one to a buddy who has been hesitant about the whole hammock camping. I figure, what's $9 and a little bit of time to convert a buddy.

• + New Posts