Thread: Options???

Hammock
    my DIY hammock
    Tarp
    my DIY tarp

Options???

I wasn't sure where to put this since it deals with two topics. So moderators, please feel to move this thread if it is incorrectly placed.

I currently use a sleeping bag and pad and have been quite comfortable in the 40*'s and slightly uncomfortable in the upper 30*'s. I am currently debating on whether or not I should sew up a fleece liner to go inside my sleeping bad for the additional warmth or should I try out an underquilt mod from a currently unused sleeping bag?

Here are my considerations:
    (1) Space: I am leaning towards the fleece liner because of this since the SB mod would be a space hog in my pack
    (2) I am not expecting to be out below 30* as I live in Florida; so is an under-quilt a better option than the fleece liner given temperature range or not?

Side note: I am planning to use the sleeping bag mod simply as a test; probably in the back yard while we are having some 30* nights right now. If I go with this option I would eventually move to down that compresses better than the SB mod.

Thanks ahead of time for all the input!

Hammock
    HH-HBPA,2QZQ-Mod2L
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx Spinn
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 & TiGoat
    Suspension
    DIY 7/64" UCR's
    Images
    Tried the fleece liner, back side still compresses it and gets chilly. Consider using a non-compressible style insulation like a CCF (closed cell foam) pad if it is to be used between your body and the hammock.

If you like the packability of fleece, maybe try the fleece under the hammock with a sil nylon undercover/vapor barrier. It would work like a DIY supershelter (sort of). I'm from LA find the SS setup to work best in the humid south. I can't see myself spending the money on down for it to get wet in the fog, etc

My current setup is :
    Top quilt
    [Me] <-- This part is very delicate.
    Hammock (HH HLBPA)
    Mylar "Space Blanket"
    Open Cell Foam, 1/4"
    Vapor Barrier (sil nylon)

All packs tight except for foam, but it's worth the ease of use and low weight. This setup works for me down to nearly 20°F.
    Last edited by TrailH4x; 03-05-2010 at 13:02. Reason: sepliling errros.
    H4x
    SM TR49, SR-875 "A boy learns integrity through his eyes, ears and hands."

"You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no telling where you might be swept off to." Bilbo Baggins, as quoted by Frodo The Fellowship of the Ring

Hammock
    DIY dbl 1.1
    Tarp
    DIY hex
    Insulation
    DIY 3 season tq+uq
    Suspension
    webbing, again
    Images
    Just finsihed the KAQ Synthetic UQ with 5oz Climashieild. Fairly easy project for a little over $50. I couldnt decide on rectangular or darted. I finally built it darted like in the original, but in a lefty foot box.

Here is the thread.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=14587

Hammock
    my DIY hammock
    Tarp
    my DIY tarp
    TH4x, I am currently using a pad under my sleeping bag. However, I am looking mainly to extend from 40* to 30*. So if I used the fleece liner it would be: sleeping bag->fleece->me->fleece->SB->pad.

The other option would be to add an UQ to my current set up. So I am trying to weigh them against each other with the object of adding 10* to my set-up without creating a lot more weight or space in my pack.

Nacra, thanks for that link, if I go the UG route that will be helpful.

Hammock
    HH-HBPA,2QZQ-Mod2L
    Tarp
    MacCat Dlx Spinn
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 &amp; TiGoat
    Suspension
    DIY 7/64&quot; UCR's
    Images
    Sounds like it's time for some good old fashioned back yard field testing. Post your observations. If the climashield route has room in your pack, run with it. UQ's are definitely the way to go. So much more ease of use with just you and a cover in the hammock!
    H4x
    SM TR49, SR-875 "A boy learns integrity through his eyes, ears and hands."

"You step into the Road, and if you don't keep your feet, there is no telling where you might be swept off to." Bilbo Baggins, as quoted by Frodo The Fellowship of the Ring

• + New Posts