Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: WBBB Packing

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    I just stuff it. And then I just stuff it in the pack. Keeping the hardware out of the hammock bag, tho, and since I"m going to whoopie slings with separate straps, the pitch-covered strap issue is solved by a small ziplock bag.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL
    Tarp
    WB Big Mama
    Insulation
    3S Phoenix UQ
    Suspension
    Jedi Power NoCable
    I am not sure why should i keep the strap outside the bag ? or 2 inch of strap (swoosh).. i received the BB with all the strap was inside the bag. it gets dirty and touch the hammock fabric, is that it ? And for the tarp.. so far, snakeskin seam the way to go.. im still stuck with a crappy-heavy poly tarp from the sleeping on the ground days and really need to get myself a sweet tarp! I didnt had time to discover how painfull it is to bag /fold a tarp without skins yet. maybe never if i order a skin with my new tarp at the same time.

swoosh: 2 inch of strap.. is it easier to pull and tie, then open the bag / pull out the hammock ?
    Last edited by DocBurN; 03-06-2010 at 10:47.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ltruelove View Post
    tuck one tie out inside the hammock, leave the other one loose
    this is key, if one shockcord goes inside the hammock and the other hangs free they cannot tangle with eachother

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    I have a blackbishop bag that I stuff the hammock, underquilt, top quilt, and JRB hood if I'm using it...all goes into the same bag, ready to deploy. The tarp goes in my pack's outer mesh pocket so I can set up the tarp w/o opening my pack.
    how big is that bb sac in relation to your pack?

Banned
    Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben
    Insulation
    Cottage Down
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    lol is it a trash compactor bag jeff?

Hammock
    N/A
    Tarp
    N/A
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    N/A
    Images
    Shove-It / Stuff-It is actually "Better" for your equipment than "wrap it" or "fold it".

Here is the logic:

Wrap and fold methods put layers on top of one another causing any moisture to be more trapped than not. It also MAXIMIZES the surface contact between fabric layers which increases abrasion and trapping dirt where it can do more damage from rubbing.

Any fold methods ALSO have the added "downer" of putting creases in your fabric in the same spots every time (assuming you fold the same way every time). Not great.

Stuff-it method is pretty random, minimizes surfaces that touch, prevents sliding against surfaces and lowers abrasive action while maximizing moisture transport through/around the material folds (short paths to freedom).

Hope this makes sense... my logic applied here, no scientific testing to back any of it up (i.e. my $0.02, YMMV, batteries not included etc.)

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I haven't made one yet that's big enough to fit my entire winter setup, but I was actually thinking about doing it today if I get some other chores done. Here's the bag I normally use for my 3-season kit...it's probably a bit bigger than a gallon milk jug but could stuff down even more:
    http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeGe...ishopSack.html

Here's a picture of a similar bag with my DownHammock and TQ in it (scroll down):
    http://www.tothewoods.net/HikingPicturesLittleSur4.html

When I make one for my winter kit, it'll probably take up over half of my Miniposa. Then I'll be able to smash it down more if I need to, but not much...that's a lot of insulation! I've been thinking about getting a bigger pack for winter trips so I can bring more luxuries, but haven't yet. Also been thinking about getting a thick hooded down jacket and carrying a thinner TQ...but that's a story for another thread.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Banned
    Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben
    Insulation
    Cottage Down
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DocBurN View Post
    swoosh: 2 inch of strap.. is it easier to pull and tie, then open the bag / pull out the hammock ?
    it just makes it easier for me to hang the hammock without it ever touching the ground. i keep it in the bag and grab one strap, loop it around a tree, and clip it. then i grab the other strap and simply walk down to the other tree and the hammock unpacks itself from the bag, allthewhile staying taught enough so it's not dragging on the wet and muddy forest floor.

Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post

I have a blackbishop bag that I stuff the hammock, underquilt, top quilt, and JRB hood if I'm using it...all goes into the same bag, ready to deploy.
    That's a really cool idea. I bet it makes for a real quick setup and tear down and I would guess it really shouldn't take up any more room than packing everything in separate stuff sacks.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB!
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    JRB HR (2)
    Quote Originally Posted by DocBurN View Post
    I am not sure why should i keep the strap outside the bag ? or 2 inch of strap (swoosh).. i received the BB with all the strap was inside the bag. it gets dirty and touch the hammock fabric, is that it ? And for the tarp.. so far, snakeskin seam the way to go.. im still stuck with a crappy-heavy poly tarp from the sleeping on the ground days and really need to get myself a sweet tarp! I didnt had time to discover how painfull it is to bag /fold a tarp without skins yet. maybe never if i order a skin with my new tarp at the same time.
    You have not yet hung from a pine tree, and depending on where you go, you might not have the opportunity to hang from a tree covered in poison oak/ivy.

I stuff the tarp. Never cared for snakeskins. It's easier to stuff a tarp made of sil or spinn than a poly.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast