Grand Trunk Double
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's 12x12
    Insulation
    Snugpak Underquilt
    Suspension
    GT Trunk Straps

Seattle WA!

I have not hung yet but I am never sleeping on the ground again! And I do not winter camp - Yet...

I have a couple of really cheap Jungle hammocks that I bought off eBay. They came with zippered noseeem mesh and a nylon tarp. I got them for like $20 a piece. After I received them I found that they are way too short. So they will be my guest and tryout hammocks that I will pack along to convert people.

I am ordering 2 Grand Trunk Ultralight Hammocks from Amazon this week for $16.47 each and a Kelty Noahs 12' Tarp

I have 2 huge synthetic 0 degree sleeping bags, a huge 90 liter pack, and a wife that does not carry anything. - I think that I am going to get her a small pack with a camel pack bladder in it on the cheap.

I really want to replace the synthetic bags with down ones to save space since reading on these forums leads me to believe that all sleeping bag bottom insulation is crushed and rendered useless regardless of the bag?

I was considering the Big Agnes Lost Ranger +15 Sleeping Bag and some sort of pad for it - I am not sure which pad to get!?

I would like to stay away from packing under quilts - I am not doing any winter camping - yet so I do no think that I need one?

We are planning our 1st hang at Cape Alava April 2nd - 4th. It is on the ocean coast on the Olympic Peninsula - So far north that you can see Canada. It will be about 50f during the day and 30f at night.
    Last edited by theerb; 03-06-2010 at 01:40.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1 dbl layer.
    Tarp
    WB Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Crowsnest & Burrow
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Welcome to a great place to hang. You will find a ton of info here ....
    Questtrek
    "In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks". John Muir.

I have a Big Agnes Lost Ranger. Two weeks ago is spent the night in the Mount Pilchuck look out. The look out it unheated and uninsulated, and it did hit the low temp rating for that bag inside the LO over night. I was removing layers of clothing during the night cause i was too warm. One other thing...i discovered i was missing my hammock. My hennessy hammock is currently away getting a zipper for the bug net.

That said with the same bag and pad, i spent the night shivering in 50* and fog.
    Cape Alava, can throw some nasty weather at you. Because of all the moisture in the air its probably some of the most difficult conditions to camp in Hammock or tent.

I too plan on hanging on the Oly coast in April 16th and 17th. (Wa. Coast clean up) One thing i have done is pick up a light weight bivy bag, my thought is it's one more layer to prevent wind driven moisture sucking my body heat away. No i have not tried it yet, i assume some on this forum will chime in on a bivy inside a hammock.

As for pads, i've been looking around...it appears an Expend Down mat has the highest R value. It's now on my gear list.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    BWDD Winterdream
    Insulation
    Speer Snugfit
    Images
    Wait! There WA hangers here now? I did my only hang since I've been out here at Sand Point, just south of Cape Alava, last summer. I had dry weather at that point, but it didn't rain for 3 months last summer. I almost dried out from the winter and spring rain in that time. Maybe we need another Western Washington get together now.
    Bad spellers of the world Untie!

Hammock
    TTTM KING (short trips) GTN7 (Long)
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    S. Sniv & Hud R.
    Suspension
    SLS with woopies

I'm in school in Tacoma, WA.

One more Washington person here! I go to Pacific Lutheran University and I'm sorta known as the hammock guy. Taking out my hammock to test things makes me look kinda strange around campus...

Oh well, It's good stuff.

~Leif
    "The nuclear generator of brain sludge is television." By Dave Barry

Hammock
    Skeeter Beeter
    Insulation
    down bag, pad
    Suspension
    strap,biner,D-ring
    Cool! Another hanger in the neighborhood. We need an annual Pacific NW hang... If there isn't one already...
    DanD76

Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    BWDD Winterdream
    Insulation
    Speer Snugfit
    Images
    I don't think there is a PNW or Washington State hang yet. And, my previous comment should have been that wow, there are MORE WA hangers now... So, if any of you know a cool place to car camp (I think that's the best way for a first group hang, personally) please step up. Set a date and location. I'm still looking around.
    Bad spellers of the world Untie!

Troublesome Creek camp ground hang August 2009....

Mineral Butte hang August 2009.....

Blanca Lake hang also August 09 just try and pitch a tent in that spot

Here's a few photos from my day hike on Mt Dickerman from yesterday enjoy

While I'm sharing...here's a few from Pilchuck.

I try to get out every weekend

Hammock
    Skeeter Beeter
    Insulation
    down bag, pad
    Suspension
    strap,biner,D-ring
    Nice pics. I need to get out more often...

Hammock
    Skeeter Beeter
    Insulation
    down bag, pad
    Suspension
    strap,biner,D-ring
    For a NW or Washington group hang -
    I'd vote for a central Washington Cascades location to ease the travel time for those on the east side. The eastern slope of the range gets less rain which is another consideration.

I haven't stayed at any car camping spots in this area. I've driven by OWHI on Cooper Lake (walk-in camp - 22 sites, no RVs, non-motorized boats) by Roslyn, Wa. Short drive past OWHI is Pete Lake trailhead - 4.5 mile easy hike to Pete Lake. Then 2 miles of switchbacks to one of my favorite spots - Spectacle Lake (Alpine Lakes Wilderness).
    Couple hours from Seattle I think, around 4 hours from Walla Walla.

Another short easy hike spot (~6 miles) is Packwood lake. Trailhead is just outside of Packwood, WA. For those who want to extend the hike you can head up the mountain side into the Goat Rocks Wilderness for some awesome views.

I'm sure there are lots of places that others can suggest.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast