Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Webbing: tubular vs regular

What the difference between tubular webbing and "regular" webbing?

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Tubular is, well, tubular, and regular is flat. I think tubular stretches more (maybe because it's usually nylon instead of polypropylene?). At least that's my understanding. I'm sure there will be more technical analysis for you soon.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

Hammock
    Claytor JH
    Tarp
    stock JH tarp
    Insulation
    CCF and body fat
    Tubular webbing gets a lot of use in climbing and rescue because of its abrasion resistance. As it was explained to me in a ropes class I took, when tubular webbing slides against some surface, there is more of a tendency for it to roll (because it's tubular I guess) rather than abrade against it. I don't know how accurate that is, but the guy who taught the class was a firefighter who spent his career in rescue, so I presume he's an expert.

I also don't know how this would apply to hammocking applications.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by NCPatrick View Post
    Tubular is, well, tubular, and regular is flat. I think tubular stretches more (maybe because it's usually nylon instead of polypropylene?). At least that's my understanding. I'm sure there will be more technical analysis for you soon.
    The stuff TeeDee is using (and so am I) for the bridge hammock is polyester. Unlike the photo in this link, I can't tell that it's tubular when I'm handling it, I'm not seeing the ends open up. * TeeDee got some of the 3/4" flat stuff also, and reports that it weighs more, for the same rating.

Grizz

*[later edit: the ends come apart easily. The tube lays flat otherwise]
    Last edited by GrizzlyAdams; 07-19-2007 at 22:39.

Hammock
    ENO Double & HH Expedition
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Quilts rule!
    Images
    Foot for foot, the tubular weighs more. On the flip side, tubular webbing of the same width will support more weight. For us that are on the heavier side, that can be a real good thing!!!!!
    Peace,
    Joe

Hammock
    DIY - Depends on time of year.
    Tarp
    DIY 10x12 cat cut
    Insulation
    Down/Synthetic
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by txulrich View Post
    Foot for foot, the tubular weighs more. On the flip side, tubular webbing of the same width will support more weight. For us that are on the heavier side, that can be a real good thing!!!!!
    Here, here for the tubular for us heavy weights!.... I use it on my DIY's. it seems to untie easier also. IMO.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyAdams View Post
    The stuff TeeDee is using (and so am I) for the bridge hammock is polyester. Unlike the photo in this link, I can't tell that it's tubular when I'm handling it, I'm not seeing the ends open up. TeeDee got some of the 3/4" flat stuff also, and reports that it weighs more, for the same rating.

Grizz
    Interesting - SailRite is adding even more polyester webbing now. When I first ordered from them, they had only the 1/2" tubular. I'm sticking with the 1/2" tubular since the width is just right for the Bridge Hammock, but the polyester webbing must be popular for them to be adding more.

And yes, I was surprised with the weight of the 1/2" tubular and the 3/4" flat. 30' of 1/2" tubular: 5.1 oz. 30' of 3/4" flat: 6.2 oz. Both are rated by SailRite at 1150#. I was expecting the 3/4" flat to be about 75% of the weight of the 1/2" tubular. I notice that their 1" flat is rated at 1500# and the 3/4" tubular is rated at 1600#. I would guess that if someone is concerned about using the 1/2" tubular at 1150#, then the 3/4" tubular would be a good choice.

I'm new to this forum and have been doing some quick reading and probably getting all confused. I thought I read somewhere that the cinch buckles did much better with flat webbing than the tubular stuff. Is this correct? If so, your use of a buckle or rings could determine if you go with tublar or flat.
    If you faint in the face of adversity, your faith is small--Solomon

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Dog View Post
    I'm new to this forum and have been doing some quick reading and probably getting all confused. I thought I read somewhere that the cinch buckles did much better with flat webbing than the tubular stuff. Is this correct? If so, your use of a buckle or rings could determine if you go with tublar or flat.
    the 1" tubular i'm using at home in the bed room works fine w/ either buckle (CC or ring), but i sure wouldn't want to carry the extra weight unless i just couldn't find something else to do the job.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

• + New Posts