Thread: The beach?

The beach?

Hey guys!!!

Just read through a couple threads about one tree hangs and making portable stands but thought I'd see if there was something I was missing. Gonna be at the beach this weekend, there should be a handful of palmetto trees to hang from, but if not, anybody know a way to rig up a couple of 2x4s in the sand?

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    The problem with a stand in the sand is the staking. If you have something to tie off on then it is easy to have a criss crossed 2x4 with guide outs to something solid like a tree or a pier. So if there were a couple trees there and you had one 2x4 cut in half witha bolt conectin them about 6 inches from the top you are good. i would need a complete sant to go out where there wee no anchor points.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    It takes three 2x4s...two for a bipod, and one to bury for a deadman (forget stakes in sand.)
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    Hennesy so far
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Exped Down Pad
    Suspension
    JRB's TriGlides
    Images

Staking In The Sand

The setup I use for locking my catamarn on the beach for the night, might, with minor modifications work well for you.

What I do is cut 1/2 or 3/4" (what ever you have lying around) squares of plywood, drill a hole in the middle of each of them, and then put a rope into the hole and tie multiple knots on the bottom (dead) end of the rope. Make sure that you do not go skimpy on the rope lengths as you will need to have plenty of line to tie off to the pole's eyebolt (see below)!

For locking down a 450 pound highly likely to go airborne in high winds catamaran I use a 2.5' square of plywood and dig it about two feet into the sand. Once the plywood is buried/covered in sand, I dump water on the sand over the plywood to make sure it "sets" in place.

For a hammock stand, I would probably experiment with using two 1.5' squares of plywood set back so as to create a 90 degrees or better angle from the eyebolt you have screwed into each 4" X 4" (a 2" X 4" wooden stud will tend to bow and pull out of the sand, just not enough bulk or surface area) post you have dug down 3' into the sand. In terms of how far apart laterally the squares of plywood should be placed, I would experiment starting at 6' apart (using the 4X4 as your starting point for each side) and then go from there.

Let me know how this works out for you 'cause I am sure this issue will come up more and more as we get to the summer season.

Good Luck!

Hammock
    DIY bridge, Pertex "Grackle"
    Tarp
    DIY 10x11
    Insulation
    DIY this-n-that
    Suspension
    Whoopie/M-spike
    Images
    If you're at a place with a boardwalk from house to beach, you may be able to hang from some of the framing. I've done that before.
    .. truly to enjoy bodily warmth, some small part of you must be cold, for there is no quality in this world that is not what it is merely by contrast. Nothing exists in itself. If you flatter yourself that you are all over comfortable, and have been so a long time, then you cannot be said to be comfortable any more. - Herman Melville

• + New Posts