Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Ridge Runner
    Insulation
    UGQ down goodness
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Images
    We arrived a few days ago. Anyone coming in early please feel free to stop by our site (we are parked next to the pool) and say hello or enjoy a beer with us.
    HangCon - Attendance Roster/Activities Sign-Up/Meal Planning Spreadsheets
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

FHV Drone Footage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPwv...ature=youtu.be

Hammock
    trad cotton / yukon outfitters
    Tarp
    silnylon diy
    Insulation
    diy, a mix
    Suspension
    straps to becket
    Quote Originally Posted by wbJohn View Post
    I'll be happy to answer any questions you have about longer boats.
    Great! I'll probably have a lot. I've got a friend who's got one for sale, but I wasn't that enamoured with it when I tried it out. I think I need to taste some others first. Coming from whitewater and medium sized boat (just under 11'). I'm not exactly sure what questions to even ask yet.

Hammock
    Tarp
    silnylon diy
    Insulation
    diy, a mix
    Suspension
    straps to becket
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumbo View Post
    We arrived a few days ago. Anyone coming in early please feel free to stop by our site (we are parked next to the pool) and say hello or enjoy a beer with us.
    See you tomorrow afternoon! Silver Kia Soul from PA, so far with an empty kayak rack...

Hammock
    Tarp
    silnylon diy
    Insulation
    diy, a mix
    Suspension
    straps to becket
    Quote Originally Posted by BoundryWaters View Post
    I've got a Necky Chatham 18 that I would consider selling (more of a canoe paddler these days). Not sure about your price range and intended use, but I figured I'd throw it out there. We are flying in from Chicago, so I obviously wouldn't be able to bring it to the hang, but I will be driving East a couple of weeks later in case you are interested.
    I don't think I want to go that long, but I haven't driven one yet, so... I was aiming for about a 14 footer for now, I think. I need to load by myself at home and maneuvering a really big boat would be harder. It might look pretty funny on my little Soul, though!

Quote Originally Posted by tangara View Post
    See you tomorrow afternoon! Silver Kia Soul from PA, so far with an empty kayak rack...
    What part of PA? I just moved to Bucks County.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Hammock
    Big Guy Bridge
    Tarp
    CRO Winter Haven
    Insulation
    JRB UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckle 15'
    Quote Originally Posted by tangara View Post
    Great! I'll probably have a lot. I've got a friend who's got one for sale, but I wasn't that enamoured with it when I tried it out. I think I need to taste some others first. Coming from whitewater and medium sized boat (just under 11'). I'm not exactly sure what questions to even ask yet.
    Well, the basics are all safety related. First, flotation fore and aft. That can be accomplished with bulkheads or float bags. This makes the boat float horizontally when it's upside down and is necessary in order to do a self rescue. Boats longer than 14 feet (the minimum for the ocean in most people's opinion) will have bulkheads and "dry" storage. This makes the cockpit smaller than the whole boat and easier to empty when you flip it.

Next, stability. As you probably already know, there are two types of stability: primary and secondary. Primary stability is the "tippyness" of the boat when you sit in it. This is really more of a comfort thing and too much primary stability can hurt your ability to turn the boat by edging. Secondary stability is the boat's resistance to actually flipping. Some boats can be put up on edge so much that the cockpit will flood and not flip and that's great as long as you're wearing a spray skirt.

I spend a lot of time on the ocean and both my boats have rudders. Rudders are one of those things that drive people crazy. Many experienced paddlers will tell you rudders are cheating, kind of like training wheels. I started liking rudders when I was out on the ocean and the wind picked up. Rudders are not there to steer the boat but to help you make it go straight. When you're paddling with the wind anywhere except dead ahead or behind your direction of travel, the boat will turn either upwind (weathercocking) or downwind (leecocking). A rudder allows you to hold your course without constantly turning with your paddle. Although I've never paddled a boat with a skeg, I'm told they also help in wind.

I'm sure we will have a nice long discussion around the fire and I can't wait to meet you.
    "God never sends us anything we can't handle. Sometimes I wish He didn't trust me so much." - Mother Teresa.

Hammock
    Tarp
    silnylon diy
    Insulation
    diy, a mix
    Suspension
    straps to becket
    Quote Originally Posted by ljane View Post
    What part of PA? I just moved to Bucks County.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk
    Delaware Water Gap area, the tippy toppest part of Northampton County. I get to Bucks once in a while, mostly Lake Nockamixon these days.

Hammock
    Tarp
    silnylon diy
    Insulation
    diy, a mix
    Suspension
    straps to becket
    Quote Originally Posted by wbJohn View Post
    I'm sure we will have a nice long discussion around the fire and I can't wait to meet you.
    Looking forward to it. Packed and ready. All that's left is the driving!

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG 20 deg UQ, TQ
    Suspension
    webbing
    Hey All,

I am super sad to say Dan and I will not be joining you all this weekend. I hurt my shoulder (tendonitis) I can't even lift my right arm. I am so disappointed I won't be able to meet all the new peeps from away! I was so looking forward to seeing LJane too! Dawn, I hope to go down to NJ perhaps if I can get the time off for the Batona hang if you will be there. Eat lots of yummy lobster for me everyone and Jackie, drink some yummy Irish cream for me!. Hope to see folks at the Fall hang!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ Ambush
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tollermama View Post
    Hey All,

I am super sad to say Dan and I will not be joining you all this weekend. I hurt my shoulder (tendonitis) I can't even lift my right arm. I am so disappointed I won't be able to meet all the new peeps from away! I was so looking forward to seeing LJane too! Dawn, I hope to go down to NJ perhaps if I can get the time off for the Batona hang if you will be there. Eat lots of yummy lobster for me everyone and Jackie, drink some yummy Irish cream for me!. Hope to see folks at the Fall hang!
    Awe bummer, Stacey. That really stinks. I'll have to eat your lobstah!! Heal up, and get better, we'll see ya soon.

• + New Posts
  • Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast