Switchback/Treklite
    Tarp
    BWDD WinterDream
    Insulation
    IX 5-in-1/WM bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies/TL Stand

Backwoods Dreamer Winter Dream Tarp V.3 Prototype Report

When I decided to order a Backwoods Dreamer Winter Dream Tarp, I wanted the V.2 but I didn't like the mitten hooks. I emailed asking Scott to leave them off, thinking I would create my own closure for maximum privacy if anything besides a simple overlap was needed. Scott shared his plans for an alternate closure using snaps. I decided to wait for that mod and asked if I purchase the prototype. Here it is. I wanted to sleep under the tarp to put the system through a proper field test at least one cold night before sharing my reactions. Last night was a cold, clear night - mid 20 degrees F., with little wind so no severe conditions test yet.

I like the plastic snaps in the early review. They are small, hold well yet were easy enough to close and open. I was able to insert my hand between the panels above the top closed snap and run it down the whole line popping them open easily. ( I hate to do the puppy dance while fighting a closure system to exit when nature calls!) I certainly prefer the snaps over the mitten hooks, both for ease of use and because they close the gap between door panels much closer. I like their smooth profile. The only place not completely closed is at the peak, where the gap is good ventilation, and where the whoopie sling nudges the panel open a bit in this particular hang. I rigged the tarp for this backyard test with a very humble assortment of cords and strings. This prototype V.3 has metal D rings at the ridgeline ends. Scott reports that the new mods add 30 grams, under 1 oz to the tarp. Scott's construction is top notch as expected! Any decisions yet on what to call this version, Scott?

This is the first time I have tried rigging with the ridgeline above the tarp, and I like this method. It seemed to provide more flex in the tarp to make staking choices easier when I ran into a rock.

BTW: Don't believe the Permatex instructions that report it dries in one hour!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Warbonett BB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream2
    Insulation
    Winter Crowsnest
    Suspension
    whoopieslings.com
    Great report turtlelady. I have the BDDD WD v.2 and love it but the snap hooks are a bit tricky with cold fingers and impossible with gloves. This looks like a great alternative. It sure snaps up tight but I wonder if it's too tight as I like some ventilation. The gap at the top might be enough and you could always leave a snap or two undone. I'm wonder what kind of snap Scott used and if a DYI'er could retrofit their tarp with these? Maybe he'll chime in. The WD is just a fabulous tarp and will be my go to tarp in all but the hottest months. I hear ya on the Permatex dry time. 3 hours is more like it and overnight is even better. I hit mine with baby power when dry to eliminate some of the stickiness.

stumo

Banned
    Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    Zpacks Cuben
    Insulation
    Cottage Down
    Suspension
    webbing/buckle
    Images
    jesus that thing is huge

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    That is really, really a tarp in all of it's tarp-ish glory!!!!!
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    DIY of the Day
    Tarp
    DIY of the Day
    Insulation
    DIY PLoft/IX-UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    WS or Spyder Line
    Images
    Sweet tarp. Great report. Does it come in Purple? LOL
    2015 John Rock Spreadsheet.

"If you find yourself in a hole, the first thing you should do is STOP DIGGING "

Hammock
    Lite Owl, WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Nice tarp...I like the full closure capability of the ends.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1 dbl layer.
    Tarp
    WB Big Mamajamba
    Insulation
    Crowsnest & Burrow
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Awesome tarp .. Great report .. Thank you ..
    Questtrek
    "In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks". John Muir.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe 2Q's MOD 3
    Tarp
    Large HH Tarp
    Insulation
    XL 3in self inflat
    Suspension
    Whoopiesling/strap
    Well done pics and write up.
    I still have to experience OVER RL....
    Warmer weather I'll give it a try...I am an Under RL sort of guy.

Beautiful tarp
    Tom

Hammock
    It's a Secret.
    Tarp
    BWDD Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by turtlelady View Post
    I decided to wait for that mod and asked if I purchase the prototype. Here it is.

I like the plastic snaps in the early review. They are small, hold well yet were easy enough to close and open. I was able to insert my hand between the panels above the top closed snap and run it down the whole line popping them open easily. ( I hate to do the puppy dance while fighting a closure system to exit when nature calls!)

This prototype V.3 has metal D rings at the ridgeline ends. Scott reports that the new mods add 30 grams, under 1 oz to the tarp. Scott's construction is top notch as expected! Any decisions yet on what to call this version, Scott?
    Thanks for the report on the latest changes to the Winter Dream tarp. I am very pleased with the new snap enclosure system. It may need a bit more tweaking on snap placement, we'll see (turtlelady and a few others will help me with that).

I went with Metal D-rings for the ridgeline because one customer has had a plastic D-ring failure there. There is a lot of stress put on the ridgelines and in really cold weather even high end acetal D-rings can break with enough pressure. All other tie-outs still have the acetal D-rings as the stresses are much less there (and to conserve weight).

The straight edges w/snaps now have 1/2" grossgrain running inside the seam and are tripple stitched. This gives the snaps something rugged to bite onto and really strengthens those ends.

The Metal D-rings, 20 snaps, and 20' of gross grain adds 30grams. My weight listings have been over actual, so the new version actually weighs about the same as listing.

Quote Originally Posted by stumo View Post
    It sure snaps up tight but I wonder if it's too tight as I like some ventilation. The gap at the top might be enough and you could always leave a snap or two undone. I'm wonder what kind of snap Scott used and if a DYI'er could retrofit their tarp with these? Maybe he'll chime in.
    I'd be glad to chime in. First, you're right. Just leave snaps undone if you want more ventilation. I'd rather have more than needed than too few since you can choose to use them or not. (It takes a lot of snaps to even begin to register grams on my very detailed scale).

These are specialty Industrial snaps. It could be a bit pricey to use the same ones I do for a DIY'er, as the apparatus required to affix them costs in the three digits - it's a very specific type of snap and won't work with standard snap press die sets.

There are companies that sell sew-on snaps that might be a more cost effective solution for the DIY'er.

Quote Originally Posted by Running Feather View Post
    Sweet tarp. Great report. Does it come in Purple? LOL
    Well... I do custom orders - so if I can source the material then sure.
    DIY Gear Supply - Your source for DIY outdoor gear.

Hammock
    warbonnet blackbird, eno doublenest
    Tarp
    oes,warbonnet
    Insulation
    yeti/incubator
    Suspension
    whoopie sling AHE
    sell sell sell the house!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    i do not remember the question, however i believe beer is the answer

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast