Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    My first few were made of regular ripstop...not DWR or anything. The ones I put my insulation, clothes and food in are silnylon...mainly for the reason Dutch suggested, but also b/c it's slicker so it's easier to stuff my quilts in.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    10.5' DIY
    Tarp
    11x13 DIY Sil
    Insulation
    IX UQ, Down Bag TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Dutch/Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by vitamaltz View Post
    No wrong way to make a stuff sack. It's a good project if you have extra sil sitting around that you trimmed off another project. Or, if you don't want to use the real sil, you could go the "make your own sil" route by coating regular ripstop with silicone.
    That's pretty much what I have. Bought 10 yards of sil although i'm only planing on using about 8 of it. So i'll have extra, I just don't know if it will serve me best as stuff sacks. But I suppose not getting things like dirty laundry or food wet is a good thing.

I still have to see how sewing sil goes for me... So I might use some of the extra that i bought to practice on -- But i should still have enough for a stuffsack or two, It's not like they take up a huge amount of fabric.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MondayHopscotch View Post
    I still have to see how sewing sil goes for me... So I might use some of the extra that i bought to practice on -- But i should still have enough for a stuffsack or two, It's not like they take up a huge amount of fabric.
    Compared to a tarp that is true. But I am always amazed when I do the math to lay out a stuff sack just how much I really do need for that little ditty bag.

My advice... don't practice on your sil. Get some old worn out sheets or take apart that old tent you are never going to use again. IMO sil is too expensive to use for practice fabric. If you want to practice sewing sil then use the pieces you cut from the cat cuts and stitch to your hearts content.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    10.5' DIY
    Tarp
    11x13 DIY Sil
    Insulation
    IX UQ, Down Bag TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Dutch/Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    Compared to a tarp that is true. But I am always amazed when I do the math to lay out a stuff sack just how much I really do need for that little ditty bag.

My advice... don't practice on your sil. Get some old worn out sheets or take apart that old tent you are never going to use again. IMO sil is too expensive to use for practice fabric. If you want to practice sewing sil then use the pieces you cut from the cat cuts and stitch to your hearts content.
    I don't think I'm going to attempt putting cat cuts on my tarp. I dont trust myself to make the curves nice, haha.

I'll find some fabric to practice on, thanks for stopping me from having an expensive practice session.

Hopefully the horrendous amount of crap I bought last week gets here before the weekend so I can get started on it.

I'll try to post some pictures of all my stuff once it's finished.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    Noah 9/Superfly
    Insulation
    Human
    Suspension
    D. Buckles/Whoopie
    Our boy scout troop got new tents...and I thought taking the old tents and rainflys and making either stuff sacks or hammocks might be a way to be thrifty...A scout is, after all, Thrifty.

Anyone have some decent directions for photos for making stuff sacks that I can use to recruit a seamstress with?

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Beyond Backpacking by Ray Jardine has idiot-proof directions. But all you're really doing is sewing a bag with a drawstring. You can probably show your seamstress a stuffsack that you want to make copies of and she could figure it out.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Some where in one of my We Don't Sew vids I demonstrate the various tops and bottoms of a stuff sack. Beyond that it is just a tube with a bottom and drawstring top. Any seamstress worth anything should be able to conjure up a pattern with no trouble. The issue would be getting the right size. There are various formulas for doing that floating around the forums. But forget the seamstress.... buy yourself a thread injector and learn the basics. We Don't Sew... We Make Gear....
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    10.5' DIY
    Tarp
    11x13 DIY Sil
    Insulation
    IX UQ, Down Bag TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Dutch/Whoopie
    Images
    How do I go about figuring out the general size I would need for a various stuffable item? (Like the tarp i'm making)

I tried seeing how much I could pack it down by hand, but who knows how accurate that will be... it is silnylon after all and that stuff is way to slick.

Hammock
    WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'
    Cuben is especially good for stuff sacks, assuming you get the strong cuben. Since you dont have to sew seams-tape/glue instead, it has an extra waterproofing ability, and its lighter than everything else. But $$$$

Hammock
    DIY Bridge/HHEXUL
    Tarp
    Varies by weather
    Insulation
    UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    here is one set of instructions ...

http://thru-hiker.com/projects/silnylon_stuffsacks.php
    "only the paranoid survive" - Andy Grove, Intel

Search engines are your friend. Use "Site:hammockforums.net" in your search string.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast