WBBB DL + 7 others
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    LocoLibre TQ0 UQ0
    Suspension
    15'Kevlar3.3J-bend

Need recommendations to sew Velcro onto tarp ends for doors

Need recommendations for the best thread to sew 1" Velcro (Velcro brand sew-on tape) onto tarp ends for doors.
    This is a 16 foot Noah's tarp made of "68-denier, 190T polyester taffeta with a 450mm waterproof-rated polyurethane coating."

Am setting this up as in the picture below so that I have a winter tarp that reaches the ground all around, with doors. Can't have any snow or rain coming in under the edges in a storm and this appears a good way to achieve this, and have plenty of room inside -- especially as I have two of these tarps already. The photo here shows the fellow using metal snaps on the door ends, rather than velcro.

Noah 16 tarp with door setup.jpg

(pic taken from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjpUrC7ppDY)

Also, any particular needle you think I should use?

Thanks for any help on this. I'm using a Singer 2273 machine. Have never sewn Velcro before. Or much else.

Hammock
    11' 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    D.I.Y. 12' winter
    Insulation
    cool weather
    Suspension
    Poly. S.S. Beckett
    Images
    I use a 90/14 needle for everything. On a side note, I saw the other day in Home Depot, a 72" stick on zipper. It is in the plastic tarp section in the paint area. It has sticky tape on both sides of the zipper and Would probably work fine without sewing. $9.88 each you'd need two.

Hammock
    WBBB DL + 7 others
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    LocoLibre TQ0 UQ0
    Suspension
    15'Kevlar3.3J-bend
    Thank you XJ35S. That needle tip really helps. I'll check out that zipper also today. I'd want to sew it on also to trust it. I need to be bombproof because of this locale. Along with strong winds, last winter was 247 official inches of mostly lake effect snow I put up with here, a thousand feet above Lake Erie. And at least half of my snow comes down sideways or almost so. And it changes direction quickly. That's why most of these backyard or other winter "palaces" don't cut it for me. At least those I've seen pictures of. I need full protection all around down to the ground that I can "caulk" with snow or leaves. Also cannot have any rain blowing in on the bottom edges.

Hammock
    Left Handed WBBB, SB Pro
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY SLS
    Images
    Did that to one of my tarps, BIG MISTAKE ! ! ! That velcro will hang on everything. I do not recommend it.
    My ego said, SURE you can.
    Half way in my body said OH NO YOU CAN'T

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

My YouTube

Hammock
    Yes
    Tarp
    Doors for sure
    Insulation
    Love some down
    Suspension
    Usualy helps
    I think that kam snaps or some toggles would work a lot better than velcro like drifter said.

Hammock
    Amok,Clark NX270, ENO junglenest
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Wooki
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    I agree with drifter 100%, I made the same mistake NEVER AGAIN.

Hammock
    11' 1.6 Hexon
    Tarp
    D.I.Y. 12' winter
    Insulation
    cool weather
    Suspension
    Poly. S.S. Beckett
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MrJames View Post
    Thank you XJ35S. That needle tip really helps. I'll check out that zipper also today. I'd want to sew it on also to trust it. I need to be bombproof because of this locale. Along with strong winds, last winter was 247 official inches of mostly lake effect snow I put up with here, a thousand feet above Lake Erie. And at least half of my snow comes down sideways or almost so. And it changes direction quickly. That's why most of these backyard or other winter "palaces" don't cut it for me. At least those I've seen pictures of. I need full protection all around down to the ground that I can "caulk" with snow or leaves. Also cannot have any rain blowing in on the bottom edges.

I know Jamestown well. If you don't find the weight I think the zipper install would be easy and quick. Agree sew it in after placement. Be care full not to sew parts of the tarp into the seam. Roll the excess up tight, and feed it slowly. 6" at a time or less.

Good luck. I too may do this. I'm using Kam Snaps and don't like the gaps that open in the wind.

Hammock
    WBBB DL + 7 others
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    LocoLibre TQ0 UQ0
    Suspension
    15'Kevlar3.3J-bend
    Quote Originally Posted by XJ35S View Post
    I know Jamestown well. If you don't find the weight I think the zipper install would be easy and quick. Agree sew it in after placement. Be care full not to sew parts of the tarp into the seam. Roll the excess up tight, and feed it slowly. 6" at a time or less.

Good luck. I too may do this. I'm using Kam Snaps and don't like the gaps that open in the wind.
    Thank you again. And the other guys who responded, the voices of experience. You've saved me trouble and disappointment. I thought snaps would be unacceptable in the wind & snow because of those gaps. But would easily allow a space for my suspension. I initially thought of zippered ends but thought they could clog with snow and ice. The more I think about it, Antarctic tents, exposed to the most brutal conditions of all, manage to use zippers. As does my North Face VE25 I'm looking at out on the hill and which withstands anything. I'll find out what Hilleberg uses in his tents. I would seem to need a double or triple pull one, because of that suspension "hole."

If anyone here can recommend such a zipper, please let me know. My guess is that for total insurance I will need a covering flap as well, as my snowboarder parka has, with a few Velcro segments keeping the flap down over the zipper. That sounds like the best solution. But you never know until you try.

XJ35S, you get plenty of snow in Fulton yourself, over a hundred inches annual average! BTW, I'm not in Jamestown but on the other end of the lake in the hills. People often think I'm telling a fish story when they ask me how much I get. Buffalo gets all the publicity but we typically get triple their seasonal falls. Many leave here for Florida before Thanksgiving. So the "Summer Folks" population empties it out. Also makes land cheap. Mayville is the county seat and these are the official DPW station figures: http://www.villageofmayville.com/

Thanks again.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I have velcro on my DIY Winter tarp and never had too much trouble with the velcro snagging me. But I roll up my doors at my entrance. Usually wearing a down jacket so velcro does not snag on nylon.
    Used nylon Gutterman thread to sew all my tarp.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Dutch Wide 11', H.H.
    Tarp
    Superfly, Noah 12'
    Insulation
    Incubator 0, Jarbr
    Suspension
    Cinch Bugs
    i like the idea of magnets to hold doors closed

• + New Posts