Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle XL
    Tarp
    Hex Fly / Stock HH
    Insulation
    3SBurrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    WS's/ET's
    I thought I read somewhere here that climbing rope is meant to stretch which makes it bad for hammock suspensions. You may end up on the ground by morning! Have you slept overnight in it yet with that suspension?

Hammock
    1.1 dbl ge double strech-side
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisH View Post
    I thought I read somewhere here that climbing rope is meant to stretch which makes it bad for hammock suspensions. You may end up on the ground by morning! Have you slept overnight in it yet with that suspension?
    I think I heard the same. I wasn't thinking about him using the climbing rope for suspension, just in the end of the hammock. That short of a rope I wouldn't be worried about stretch. But if the rest of the suspension is climbing, then may have a problem.
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

Hammock
    DIY Camo Cocoon
    Tarp
    Tricked out SWT
    Insulation
    DIY 4 layer IX
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by AA1PR View Post
    Instead of using a whoopie sling I used 6mm climbing rope. I am not into UL or worried about that aspect. Even though the photo depicts my unfinished end & finished.
    Link to my hammock project is here: http://zombiehunters.org/forum/viewt...p?f=34&t=76969

The WB / gathered end method that Knotty shows in this thread attaches the suspension via a larks head around the fabric body and the sewed channel just creates a knot of fabric and cord that keeps the larks head from sliding off. The method you use here puts all the stress on the sewed channel... It will work if you sewed it well enough but I don't see a reward you get for the added risk. You could attach the same carabiner ( attach carabiner with a second larks head as well to elliminate your knot) to a loop of rope and larks head that around the gathered end and accomplish the same suspension result and have less risk of catastrophic failure (ie: butt meets hard ground when least expected). YMMV - just my opinion...

Hammock
    HH explorer ASYM
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    HH SS & thermarest
    Suspension
    tree huggers

More than 1 Way

Quote Originally Posted by GvilleDave View Post
    The WB / gathered end method that Knotty shows in this thread attaches the suspension via a larks head around the fabric body and the sewed channel just creates a knot of fabric and cord that keeps the larks head from sliding off. The method you use here puts all the stress on the sewed channel... It will work if you sewed it well enough but I don't see a reward you get for the added risk. You could attach the same carabiner ( attach carabiner with a second larks head as well to elliminate your knot) to a loop of rope and larks head that around the gathered end and accomplish the same suspension result and have less risk of catastrophic failure (ie: butt meets hard ground when least expected). YMMV - just my opinion...
    I have seen that method and thought it looked very strange, in the sense that one would trust their knot binding against the fabric. I would think that would weaken the material and cause failure eventually. I felt by havign four layers of material under the end there would be more structural strength to the fabric than a single layer. Check out my project link as I probably used more stitchs than was needed...
    There is however more than one way of doing things. It has supported almost 300lbs so far and no issues for an hour of my testing. I took a nice long nap in it with some extra gear thrown in for good measure. If it was going to fail I wanted it to happen.
    Cognito Ergo Sum

Hammock
    Eno, HH, DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Winter Incubator
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by AA1PR View Post
    I have seen that method and thought it looked very strange, in the sense that one would trust their knot binding against the fabric. I would think that would weaken the material and cause failure eventually. I felt by havign four layers of material under the end there would be more structural strength to the fabric than a single layer. Check out my project link as I probably used more stitchs than was needed...
    There is however more than one way of doing things. It has supported almost 300lbs so far and no issues for an hour of my testing. I took a nice long nap in it with some extra gear thrown in for good measure. If it was going to fail I wanted it to happen.
    ...however, this is the whipping method that Eno uses...on my hammocks anyway...

Hammock
    DIY Camo Cocoon
    Tarp
    Tricked out SWT
    Insulation
    DIY 4 layer IX
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    I agree - absolutely more than one way to skin a cat... This site is based on that principle and the sharing of ideas. I was not trying to say you're wrong just that I saw more risk w/ no added benefit. Enjoy the new hammock & keep us posted.

Hammock
    HH explorer ASYM
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    HH SS & thermarest
    Suspension
    tree huggers
    Quote Originally Posted by GvilleDave View Post
    I agree - absolutely more than one way to skin a cat... This site is based on that principle and the sharing of ideas. I was not trying to say you're wrong just that I saw more risk w/ no added benefit. Enjoy the new hammock & keep us posted.
    I concur and thought that it was quick, simlpe & down and dirty

On another note I am thinking about adding a layer of primaloft to my HH SS.
    Cognito Ergo Sum

Hammock
    1.1 dbl ge double strech-side
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images
    AA1PR- you should have started a new thread with your hammock pics and link, as to the fact that this thread is for the gathered end hammock and not the ENO style. I think that the post should be about the gathered end that Knotty showed and the success and failures of said hammocks. My .02
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Insulation
    DIY PLUQ & Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    First and foremost, Thank you Knotty for the video (I hope it will prove to be most useful). I was looking a few pages back and expanding on what GvilleDave illustrated “opt 3” … I would like to do a similar design with a “double hung” pad holder???

Questions come to mind: 1) am I way off? 2) should the 6’ swatch go inside or underneath? (real noob question, but I could see benefits to both so figured I would ask) 3) should the swatch go end to end or is it ok to hang out in the middle?

- TMJess
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* zepplin/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    TMJess, I was thinking about the same idea. You use 1/3 to half the fabric of a double layer with all the benefits. Just wonder if the pad will stay put.
    Yosemite Sam: Are you trying to make me look a fool?
    Bugs: You don't need me to make you look like a fool.
    Yosemite Sam: Yer deerrrnnn right I don't!

• + New Posts
  • Page 17 of 44 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast