Page 22 of 44 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    DIY "Knotty"-gather 1.9 single
    Tarp
    DIY Rectangular
    Suspension
    DIY strapping/rope
    Add me to the list of those inspired by this post. Used ten feet of ripstop with a structural ridgeline about eight feet long, got a hammock that reasonably-fits my six-foot, four-inch self. Now I just need to work out the bugnetting.

Thanks for the instructions, Knotty! (I reserve the right to blame you, later, for getting me into this hobby )

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Let the blame game begin.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* zepplin/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Farwalker View Post
    I reserve the right to blame you, later, for getting me into this hobby
    Don't blame poor Knotty, he is in the same addicted boat your now riding in. Welcome to the group.

Hi, my name is Jazilla and its been 2 days since I DIYed (waiting on bugnet to arrive)
    Yosemite Sam: Are you trying to make me look a fool?
    Bugs: You don't need me to make you look like a fool.
    Yosemite Sam: Yer deerrrnnn right I don't!

Hammock
    Moded Hammock Bliss Mosquito Free
    Tarp
    DIY 10x12 Sil
    Insulation
    Bag+pad
    Suspension
    Strap+Whoopiesling
    Images

Floppy sides

So I made my first gathered end and have tried whipping it several times to eliminate the floppy sides. Then I read some more of this post and saw the shockcord side idea. I plan to do that on my current one rather than redo the ends again. Someone may have posted on this and I missed it but I am wondering if anyone has tried cutting/hemming the end channels in a curve then whip it straight across? The idea would be to have more fabric length in the middle than the edges. If anyone has tried it how much of difference from the edge to the center have they tried?

A pic of my current DIY hammock is attached. Fabric is nylon from JoAnn's. It is single layer and not ripstop. The whipping is gutted 330 paracord, I made the woopie slings with 1/8 Amsteel, and the ASR is 7/64 Amsteel I got from a PIF.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Eno, HH, DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Winter Incubator
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by mcvincnt View Post
    So I made my first gathered end and have tried whipping it several times to eliminate the floppy sides. Then I read some more of this post and saw the shockcord side idea. I plan to do that on my current one rather than redo the ends again. Someone may have posted on this and I missed it but I am wondering if anyone has tried cutting/hemming the end channels in a curve then whip it straight across? The idea would be to have more fabric length in the middle than the edges. If anyone has tried it how much of difference from the edge to the center have they tried?

A pic of my current DIY hammock is attached. Fabric is nylon from JoAnn's. It is single layer and not ripstop. The whipping is gutted 330 paracord, I made the woopie slings with 1/8 Amsteel, and the ASR is 7/64 Amsteel I got from a PIF.
    That's some pretty nifty camo fabric

Hammock
    1.1 dbl ge double strech-side
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images
    So Someone may have posted on this and I missed it but I am wondering if anyone has tried cutting/hemming the end channels in a curve then whip it straight across? The idea would be to have more fabric length in the middle than the edges. If anyone has tried it how much of difference from the edge to the center have they tried?
    Yes, I did, and posted on here. (I was just reading my post- please excuse the grammar/spelling, I must have been having one of "those" days). I went about 6" in from the sides and 2" down the length. Hemmed it, (which was not the prettiest) ran my line through the channel and pull it tight. Looks good now, you can't even see my hem.
    I have both an ENO SN and DN, and like my DIY 1.9 ripstop gathered end the best. I have another made the same, but with 1.5 ripstop, and it feels like it has too much shoulder squeeze.
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 10x12 Sil
    Insulation
    Bag+pad
    Suspension
    Strap+Whoopiesling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunnr72 View Post
    Knotty-TY TY TY TY. Made one of these yesterday. I was going to use the "whipped end" method. After hemming the edges, I thought I would review how to, and decided to take a close look at this method. Works great. The only problems I had were the sides were too "floppy", and there was a lot of pressure under my legs (calf area). So today, I uninjected the roll, and cut the corners. I measured down the length of the hammock about 2". I measures across the hammock about 6" and cut the triangle off. Injected it back up, was a little bit of a pain around the "corner" of the triangle, but worked out. After tieing the gather again you couldn't I couldn't see anything different from the first time. Hung it real quick to test and it felt a lot better. No pressure on the legs and not so floppy. Will have to test better at a later time to make sure.
    Roadrunnr72,
    I see, so you have about 48" in the center that is straight and the 6" on each side are tapered/angled. I hadn't thought of that. I was thinking from each side to the center but I see what you are saying about the pressure and shoulder squishing. I think I will give your method a try. Thanks.

Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY 10x12 Sil
    Insulation
    Bag+pad
    Suspension
    Strap+Whoopiesling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DiscoveryDiver View Post
    That's some pretty nifty camo fabric
    Thanks DD. Red tag and half price at JoAnns. They only had about 3.5 yards so it seemed destined to be a hammock project.

Hammock
    Eno, HH, DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Winter Incubator
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Thanks DD. Red tag and half price at JoAnns. They only had about 3.5 yards so it seemed destined to be a hammock project.
    I envy you guys will all that access to cool camo and reasonable prices in-store...

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    So I know that all us outdoors types love shockcord and all the wonderful projects we can do with it. But wouldn't it be easier to use a length of elastic band sewn directly in the hem to take up the slack and look a bit cleaner?
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

• + New Posts
  • Page 22 of 44 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast