Dutch wide 11'
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by jadekayak View Post
    The needles used should be size 60 or 65 ballpoints.

I flog small cobs of embroidery polyester thread,size 40.

Not fussy on brand but I prefer Madeira.
    Coates,saba,sulky are all good.

When I made my 1 man tentsile type trillion I had problems with my singer 328k because it didn't have the strength to sew through the webbing and Max stitch length too short.(sample worked fine but I didn't like the lay as I made it a bit small)

Hope this helps

I suddenly realized how very little I know about sewing...

I will make a 72" wide DIY because my sweet spot on a 60" his my heels hanging of into space. Knotty, thanks for the wealth of information!!!

Hammock
    11ftr
    Tarp
    silpoly pu4000
    Insulation
    poultry puff
    Quote Originally Posted by Leavitt View Post
    I suddenly realized how very little I know about sewing...

I will make a 72" wide DIY because my sweet spot on a 60" his my heels hanging of into space. Knotty, thanks for the wealth of information!!!
    That post was like reading Greek, and I sew a lot. Smaller numbers on needles = smaller point (Sewing only! Not applicable in medicine!). Use polyester thread so it doesn't rot. "Triple stitched" refers to three single stitches side-by-side.

The problem with a 72" wide hammock is finding fabric wide enough for the job. Do a flat-felled seam (look it up, and double-stitched!) and don't put the seam directly beneath you, i.e., the colored thirds you see in ENOs and other parachute hammocks.

There. I just gave you an associates in Thread Injection. And don't forget to lock the stitches when you start and finish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "We are the greatest bulldozers to walk erect. Will we ever permit Mother Nature–truly our mother–to do her thing, undisturbed and unmarred? Will we ever be content to play a passively observant role in the universe, and leave off this unceasing activity? I do not wish man in control of the universe. I wish nature in control, and man playing only his just role as one of its inhabitants."
    — Randy Morgensen, 1971

Hammock
    Dutch wide 11'
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    KAQ UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Beeip View Post
    That post was like reading Greek, and I sew a lot. Smaller numbers on needles = smaller point (Sewing only! Not applicable in medicine!). Use polyester thread so it doesn't rot. "Triple stitched" refers to three single stitches side-by-side.

The problem with a 72" wide hammock is finding fabric wide enough for the job. Do a flat-felled seam (look it up, and double-stitched!) and don't put the seam directly beneath you, i.e., the colored thirds you see in ENOs and other parachute hammocks.

There. I just gave you an associates in Thread Injection. And don't forget to lock the stitches when you start and finish.
    Thanks for the AA!!! I think I got a taste of my own medicine with that post; I have a couple of "hobbies which shall not be named" that can be intricate and confusing. It all makes sense if you live it everyday but to the new guy, it's just numbers. It's obvious that jadekayak knows this stuff inside out and backwards, and there are answers in that post to questions that I don't even know I should be asking; someday I'll know enough to ask and those answers are already waiting for me.

I especially appreciate the recommendation of the flat felled seam, as I have discovered that the wider rolls are less common. Hopefully I will find a roll of fabric that's 72", thus avoiding the need but I may resort to the flat felled seam. When I pull the trigger (so to speak) I'll post it in the DIY thread. Being successful in my first DIY is probably the worst thing that can happen to me because then I'll have to make EVERYTHING.

Hammock
    DIY Climbing Spec Hammock
    Tarp
    TREEfool Rainfly
    Insulation
    DIY RSBTR Kit
    Suspension
    Climb Spec Webbing
    I just wanted to say thanks for the video. Short and informative, just how I like it.
    v
    v

TREEfool.com < < hammock dangerously
    ^
    ^

Hammock
    DIY 11' HyperD 1.0
    Tarp
    11' SilPoly Hex
    Insulation
    HG Burrow/Phoenix
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    This might be a dumb newbie question, but is there a reason to use mason's line for the whipping instead of something like 1.75 Zing-it or even maybe an individual strand (unbraided) of Amsteel? I have these on hand already, so I was wondering if there was some special property of mason's line that made it better for this application. I know most of the weight is held by the bundle of fabric, but how strong does the string used for whipping need to be?

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    Poly
    Insulation
    SnuggPak
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by ACoffee View Post
    This might be a dumb newbie question, but is there a reason to use mason's line for the whipping instead of something like 1.75 Zing-it or even maybe an individual strand (unbraided) of Amsteel? I have these on hand already, so I was wondering if there was some special property of mason's line that made it better for this application. I know most of the weight is held by the bundle of fabric, but how strong does the string used for whipping need to be?
    Masons line is entirely to stretchy and frays really easy.I'm dealing with masons line at home,while I'm building a workshop.It even sucks for it's intended purpose.
    Nothing to see here. Keep moving.

Hammock
    DIY bridge hammock
    Tarp
    OES/WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ACoffee View Post
    The strength of the string isn't really an issue. It might have been what he had on hand at the time. I made a gathered end hammock based off these instructions with mason line and had no issues over 4 years with the hammock. If I were to do it again, I'd have no reason not to use mason line.
    Syb
    Enjoy the elevation

Just browsing and wondering if the link to video and pictures are bad? Mine for pics. says by google that it isn't there and get an error on the video. Just me?

Quote Originally Posted by IroquoisArcher View Post
    Just browsing and wondering if the link to video and pictures are bad? Mine for pics. says by google that it isn't there and get an error on the video. Just me?
    Pic link in Knotty's original 2010 post returns a 404 error. Video link works for me. No surprise, I guess, that a link that old is dead. I did not go through the entire thread to see if they are updated.
    "...the height of hammock snobbery!"

Hammock
    Mayan, WarbonnetRR XLC
    Tarp
    Warbonnet SuperFly
    Suspension
    Whoopee! Hitchcock

Noob Modification Questions

Some Noob (Newbie) questions:
    1. Does the Knotty Mod work best with a parallelogram shape?

2. Is it possible to just slice a longitudinal gash and add a foot box extension (I still can quite figure foot boxes out. They just seem like pockets hanging off the side.) I don't understand how you can add a triangle (or half oval).

3. The Cord through the Gathered end--is it's only purpose to make that big knot? or can a hammock hang from a cord going through this channel? (If not, what's the failure like? the cord just ripping out the end?) It seems to me that if I double up the end fold (see diagram) and stitch it (I'd do three not just two) then the gathered end cord could also be the hanging cord. Anyone know for certain if this is a bad idea?

I've got a dozen more questions, a sewing machine some rip stop.....

Will
    Attached Files Attached Files

• + New Posts
  • Page 42 of 44 FirstFirst ... 324041424344 LastLast