DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Good info guys. No doubt the gathered end produces floppy sides. I added a "footbox" triangle to one side of mine. Been seeing some people having the same complaint about the Warbonnet Traveler. Not surprising since mine is essentially a clone of Brandon's fine product.

I've been looking for a new project so I think I'm going to try Roadrunnr72's idea.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    TrekLight Double /DIY HH/DIY WBBB
    Tarp
    GuideGear 12'x12'
    Insulation
    JCP DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling 7/64
    Quote Originally Posted by Knotty View Post
    Good info guys. No doubt the gathered end produces floppy sides. I added a "footbox" triangle to one side of mine. Been seeing some people having the same complaint about the Warbonnet Traveler. Not surprising since mine is essentially a clone of Brandon's fine product.

I've been looking for a new project so I think I'm going to try Roadrunnr72's idea.
    As I am looking to build out one of these myself, is there a recommendation on the gather (middle out, W, etc) - Futhermore, and more notable on this topic - JustJeff in his illustrations shows pulling the corners out in the gather to tighten the sides. Anyone care to share pros or cons on this approach? If you use this approach, how much to you typical take out... 6", so a total of 12" on each long side.

Hammock
    Skeeter Beater Pro
    Tarp
    Old Coleman tent f
    Insulation
    ccf pad
    Great info Knotty...appreciate the video..just getting into hanging as I've always tent camped...I picked up a surplus G.I.jungle hammock but wanted to make one of my own and didn't have a clue...gonna look for material this weekend..Thanks again.

Hammock
    Traveler 1.1 sl/WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/Standard
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Dynaglide whoopies
    Images
    Nice directions Knotty. I've been thinking about making a hammock for awhile now but have been having some confusion with sizing. First I wanted to make a nice good sized hammockjust for backyard hanging most likely to extend the life of my other hammocks. I'm only 5'8" so I can fit well in all hammocks I've tried, I'd like to go with a warbonnet blackbird/traveler size for lounging. I'm also interested in attempting to make a small hammock like the nano 7.

A lot of hammock makers dimensions are really confusing me. For example, the travelor is 120' x 60". Is that raw dimension before hemming, before gathered end, after, or what? Also with the nano 7 it says 9' x 4' and my hennessy expedition say 100" x 48", that's about the same size but from what I hear the nano 7 is much smaller.

Can anyone give me any insight as to how these companys post their hammock sizes. Also, how much alowance should I allow for gathering ends?

Hammock
    DIY Camo Cocoon
    Tarp
    Tricked out SWT
    Insulation
    DIY 4 layer IX
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by samjaynes View Post
    As I am looking to build out one of these myself, is there a recommendation on the gather (middle out, W, etc) - Futhermore, and more notable on this topic - JustJeff in his illustrations shows pulling the corners out in the gather to tighten the sides. Anyone care to share pros or cons on this approach? If you use this approach, how much to you typical take out... 6", so a total of 12" on each long side.
    Can you post a link to JustJeff's instructions you mention?

If I understand what you are asking I think you are referring to the whipping of a HH style hammock as opposed to a gathered end hammock like Knotty shows in this thread. When you make a gathered end hammock the channel in the end has a cord that is tightened and tied off. This forms a "ball" of the channel and cord. When you loop your suspension onto the hammock body with a larks head behind this gathered ball the gathered ball prevents the larks head from slipping off.

With that said, I have considered testing a few designs that would cut the end of the hammock material on a slight convex curve. The channel would also follow this curve and the result may tighten up the sides.

Hammock
    TrekLight Double /DIY HH/DIY WBBB
    Tarp
    GuideGear 12'x12'
    Insulation
    JCP DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling 7/64
    Quote Originally Posted by GvilleDave View Post
    Can you post a link to JustJeff's instructions you mention?
    Thanks for your response - Here is Jeff's link -2 - Gather and Whip the Ends

With a hammock this size made from 1.10z ripstop, how small would it be able to compress for a stuff sack?

Hammock
    DIY Camo Cocoon
    Tarp
    Tricked out SWT
    Insulation
    DIY 4 layer IX
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    Mine w/ whoopie sling suspension stuffs in a blackbishop sack the size of a Nalgene bottle.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by GvilleDave View Post
    With that said, I have considered testing a few designs that would cut the end of the hammock material on a slight convex curve. The channel would also follow this curve and the result may tighten up the sides.
    Dave I have been toying with this same idea. Although haven't made any hammocks yet, it sounds good to me. I bought enough material to make 3 hammocks. I am planning to make the curve on te end "off-centered" to give some asymetry to the hammock. I just don't kno how severe a curve to use. Basically, that's the sme question as "how much material do you pull out of the gather" in Just Jeff's hammock.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DIY Camo Cocoon
    Tarp
    Tricked out SWT
    Insulation
    DIY 4 layer IX
    Suspension
    straps & buckles
    Images
    Well keep in mind what ever amount you take out for the curves will be doubled at each end. I am thinking of starting with a 3" reduction at each end.

Another thought I have is because we lay on a diagonal in the hammock the loose edges are more prominent on my right shoulder and my left foot side (when laying in the hammock). So would it be better to cut the ends in a curve that starts out straight then curve in to take the length from the side that is loose at that end of the hammock? The centerline length of the hammock fabric would stay the same.

Here is a sketch of what I'm thinking:

• + New Posts
  • Page 15 of 44 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast