Page 34 of 44 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast
    Right now I've got my whoopie slings running through my end channel with a larks head. I had my first overnight in my setup last night, and I found I need more lower/mid back support, as well as knee support. I'm a side sleeper predominantly. Any advice or tips on how I can modify my hammock for more comfort? Would making a gathered end hammock this way make a difference in the way my hammock supports me as I lay in it?
    For what we proclaim is not ourselves, but Jesus Christ as Lord, with ourselves as your servants for Jesus' sake. For God, who said, “Let light shine out of darkness,” has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. 2 Cor. 4:5-6

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FightingTheTide View Post
    I found I need more lower/mid back support, as well as knee support. I'm a side sleeper predominantly. Any advice or tips on how I can modify my hammock for more comfort?
    Try pulling your suspension tighter which will require a longer ridgeline, if you have one.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    Try pulling your suspension tighter which will require a longer ridgeline, if you have one.
    EDIT - I gotcha. I'll make a longer ridgeline to see if that helps.

One more question. With whipping, Jeff's page suggests using a "W" whipping for more support on the knees while sleeping on your side. I know this method doesn't utilize an end channel, but is it possible to get the same results while still using the channel for whipping?
    Last edited by FightingTheTide; 08-03-2012 at 10:33.
    For what we proclaim is not ourselves, but Jesus Christ as Lord, with ourselves as your servants for Jesus' sake. For God, who said, “Let light shine out of darkness,” has shone in our hearts to give the light of the knowledge of the glory of God in the face of Jesus Christ. 2 Cor. 4:5-6

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Each method for treating the hammock ends will produce different results in how the hammock supports you. Experiment until you find what you like.

Personally, I haven't played around much with the different end treatments. As a side/back sleeper the knob style gathered end in my instructions has proven comfortable for me, so I stick with it. I also own a Hennessy Explorer, which I find comfortable and a Speer, which is not comfortable for me.

I'll stop here, as I'd prefer this thread remain focused on the gathered end technique shown in the instructions, so things don't get too confusing.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Custom HNO Airship
    Insulation
    YETI UQ, UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    Hammock Anchors
    Knotty, bought a sewing machine today and this was my first project. Thanks for the video! It turned out great. Going to Mod a footbox for it tomorrow. Again, appreciate the video.

G-Nut

I'm going to be trying this on a new hammock as soon as my material ship.

But right now I have an ENO DN and for the life of me I cannot get rid of all the loose material where my head lies. I don't mind it too much down around my feet. I added the 'stretch sides mod' and I can see where that will help hold a quilt in, but even with the stretch side on my "head side" it doesn't keep the material from falling in my face. Even lying on the diagonal I can cover up like a burrito.

So I've been playing with some different whip styles and none have helped. Is this hammock just too big for me (I'm 5'6"). Right now I have a love / hate relationship with this thing.

Any advice on this one?

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Grapenut View Post
    Knotty, bought a sewing machine today and this was my first project. Thanks for the video! It turned out great. Going to Mod a footbox for it tomorrow. Again, appreciate the video.

G-Nut
    Excellent. Will you be using the stretch-side method for the footbox?

Quote Originally Posted by scooterbrown View Post
    I'm going to be trying this on a new hammock as soon as my material ship.

But right now I have an ENO DN and for the life of me I cannot get rid of all the loose material where my head lies. I don't mind it too much down around my feet. I added the 'stretch sides mod' and I can see where that will help hold a quilt in, but even with the stretch side on my "head side" it doesn't keep the material from falling in my face. Even lying on the diagonal I can cover up like a burrito.

So I've been playing with some different whip styles and none have helped. Is this hammock just too big for me (I'm 5'6"). Right now I have a love / hate relationship with this thing.

Any advice on this one?
    One of the downsides of large hammocks, especially if you're not tall. WV has pioneered a variation of the stretch-side where he runs a bungee the entire length of the hem. That might be your answer.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Double
    Tarp
    DIY GrayCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/0* bag
    Suspension
    Cinchbuckle&hugger
    Quote Originally Posted by scooterbrown View Post

Any advice on this one?
    One other option would be adjusting your ridgeline, or in essence how taught your hammock is. Definitely a little on the large side for your height though.

Hammock
    homemade
    Tarp
    homemade
    Insulation
    homemade UQ
    Suspension
    tree straps
    Images
    hey knotty real straight forward thank you sir. but its all your falt as i have gone and made two hammocks. LOL!!!!
    Last edited by kiwi; 10-14-2012 at 19:47.

Thank you for this very informative video. It really does help us beginners...OT

• + New Posts
  • Page 34 of 44 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast