Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    Hennessy Scout
    Suspension
    Straps and a knot

Hammock has arrived . . .

My Hennessy Scout came in yesterday! I rushed out and set it up in my backyard. Okay, so 100 some yards away isn't exactly "backyard", but there just aren't any trees closer than the other side of the field. It took a little bit to get it set up, mostly because the fly is asymmetrical and the hammock is not. The straps need to set at about head level (5'5"-ish) in order for it to hang sufficiently above the ground with weight in it. The ropes seem to let any tightening knot slip no matter how tightly tied, but I can live with that.

I also found that the bottom entry slot is not quite as convenient as Hennessy would lead you to believe. It's easy enough to get into, but a pain to get out of. I still can't figure out why the guy lines on the hammock are elastic rope. Yes, it allows the hammock to sway, but it also make it a pain to stake down.

The only thing I can't get over is the fly. Why in Creation would you put an asym tarp on a symmetrical hammock?!? It doesn't make sense. The tarp doesn't properly cover the hammock, the corners just don't line up.

Anyway, on the good stuff. I plopped myself inside and felt like it was very roomy (much bigger than my tent of similar weight). I immediately noticed that besides the tarp not fitting properly, I would need to hang it on a separate ridge line in order for it to hang low enough with weight inside. I moved myself around so that I was laying diagonally with no problem. The wind was picking up and it looked like a storm was on its way, and since I'm still having trouble with the rainfly, I chose to pack up and head back to the house. I tossed on the snakeskins and found that they made tear down incredibly simple.

All in all, I am pleased with it and I'm waiting for a chance to use it for a night (hopefully this weekend). I do have a few questions. I am considering removing the guy lines on the hammock and just letting it sway like the old canvas ones I used in Scouts. Can anyone think of a reason that this is bad? Also, is there some secret to pitching an asym tarp over a normal hammock?

I think one of my first investments when I have the money will be a new tarp, as this one is a little small even if I find a way to properly pitch it. I think I'll even make one as the cost will be much lower and it shouldn't be difficult.

Thanks for all of your input, and happy hanging!

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    JackRabbit, it is pretty exciting isn't it?

I've never used the Scout model, but it does seem strange to put an Asym tarp with a non-Asym hammock. Is that the way the come or did Tom maybe make a mistake?

Anyway, I have had very good luck with attaching my Asym tarp to the trees BELOW the suspension. That keep the tarp low over you and will give you a lot more forgiveness with a poor fitting tarp if it rains. I can use the Asym tarp with any of my hammocks by setting-up this way. It probably isn't the best, but it works.

Happy hangin!

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JackRabbit View Post
    My Hennessy Scout came in yesterday!
    Congratulations.

It took a little bit to get it set up, mostly because the fly is asymmetrical and the hammock is not.
    You might want to try flipping the tarp over. That may sound odd, but the way the fly is cut, it does have a specific orientation. But, you're right about the coverage. Many people, including myself, don't feel the stock HH fly gives enough room for error.

The ropes seem to let any tightening knot slip no matter how tightly tied, but I can live with that.
    What knot did you tie? The knot that HH recommends held well for me, at least until I replaced the spectra with webbing and buckles.

I also found that the bottom entry slot is not quite as convenient as Hennessy would lead you to believe. It's easy enough to get into, but a pain to get out of.
    Getting in/out does take some getting used to, and is a BIG reason why many prefer top-loading hammocks. I find that I like to hang the HH a little higher than most people, simply so that I don't have to stoop when entering/exiting.

I still can't figure out why the guy lines on the hammock are elastic rope. Yes, it allows the hammock to sway, but it also make it a pain to stake down.
    I like using the guy-outs with the HH because they help spread it out for that 'roomy feeling', at least in warm weather. You might try tying a loop in the end of the elastic rope to go around the stake.

Also, is there some secret to pitching an asym tarp over a normal hammock?
    Besides flipping the tarp over, be sure to tie it to the tree seperately instead of using the included tensioner hooks. You can get better results that way.

I think one of my first investments when I have the money will be a new tarp, as this one is a little small even if I find a way to properly pitch it. I think I'll even make one as the cost will be much lower and it shouldn't be difficult.
    The BlackCat design is reportedly not difficult to make if you sew, and is very well thought of on this forum.

Hope you enjoy your new hammock!
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    Hennessy Scout
    Suspension
    Straps and a knot
    Cannibal: I'm going to have to shoot them an email to find out about the tarp. The directions on the stuff sack indicate that it is an asym, but it also indicates a weight limit of 250 lbs. The site rates it at 200 lbs., so I believe the directions are just copied from their other hammocks. As for the tarp ridge line, that was what I planning on doing. I had read it on one of the other threads, but thought I would try it the "Hennessy" way first.

AngrySparrow: I tried flipping the tarp once, but it may have needed flipped width wise instead of length wise (although that seems to put the wrong side out). I will give it a try. I tied a taughtline hitch, which isn't supposed to slip, but it did. I didn't understand the knot it was suggesting from the description on the bag, but looking at the website it seems clear now. I will have to try that as well. The BlackCat was on my list of possibilities, but I thought I might just go for a diamond shape at first since I'm not to good at sewing. It will largely depend on how adventurous I feel when I go to make it.

Thanks for the tips!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    BWDD Winterdream
    Insulation
    Speer Snugfit
    Images
    I have a HH Scout, too. I don't remember the tarp being asym. I will pull it out and check it out. I got the large poly hex tarp from HH at the same time as the scout, so the stock tarp didn't stay on it long.
    Bad spellers of the world Untie!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    BWDD Winterdream
    Insulation
    Speer Snugfit
    Images
    I edited my original post, but it aparently didn't take. Second time that has happened. It may still show up...

Anyway, yes, the original tarp is asym. It doesn't fold in half equally in any direction like a true diamond would. Don't know the reasoning behind that. I use the large poly hex tarp, so can't really say much about how it works.

My Scout bag says 200 lbs.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowmoss View Post
    I use the large poly hex tarp, so can't really say much about how it works.
    Have you had that large hex tarp long? I was just wondering how it does in windy weather. I have often considered the HH silnylon version of that tarp.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    BWDD Winterdream
    Insulation
    Speer Snugfit
    Images
    I hate to admit it, but the only time I've had my hammock up was at the hang-out. The only real weather that we had was within 10 minutes of hanging my hammock. I was enjoying being dry, and don't really remember much about details. The rest of the weekend was calm and dry. After Smithobx and Darby helped me tighten everything up, it seemed to stay in place pretty well.

The pictures of my setup are in the gallery, in the get togethers section. Mine has the camp chair under it. I am also thinking about the silnylon version, or a rectangular silnylon tarp that is basically the same size. The tarp worked well, and spoiled me for the larger size. It is 1lb9oz, if I remember right, and is the main reason my hammock setup is not as light as my ultra-light six moons designs tent.

Hammock
    Hennessy Scout
    Suspension
    Straps and a knot
    Well, it is good to know that I got the right thing. That still means I need to figure out how to get proper coverage. Just another excuse for playing around outside I suppose. As for the weight limit: the front, which is clearly for the Scout, says 200; on the back under the care and maintenance section it says 250. That's why I think the back (except for the very top of it which says the model) is just a standard set of instructions they print on all the hammocks.

Thanks for saving me the trouble of sending HH an email.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Well, it is good to know that I got the right thing. That still means I need to figure out how to get proper coverage. Just another excuse for playing around outside I suppose. As for the weight limit: the front, which is clearly for the Scout, says 200; on the back under the care and maintenance section it says 250. That's why I think the back (except for the very top of it which says the model) is just a standard set of instructions they print on all the hammocks.

Thanks for saving me the trouble of sending HH an email.
    JackRabbit,

There are a lot of good hammock tarps out there for a good reason.... check out the tarp section of JJ site...

Welcome to the hanging gang and the site...

The tarp fix is important.... make sure that your answer, what ever you chose, provides side coverage, for wind protection that you'll be happy with when site selection is a little less than ideal.

Before the temps drop make sure that you get a bottom insulation plan that will keep you warm and be flexible to support the temp range likey in your hammocking future.... read the archives here and at www.whiteblaze.com in the hammock forums for years of discussions on all the options pluses/minuses.... "remember quality doesn't cost - It pays."

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast