Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

hammock recommendations for-

someone 6'3" 215lb's, has a bad back and is on a budget?

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hvydrop View Post
    welcome to HF hvydrop. my 1st recommendation would be a top loading hammock that is long & wide.
    i laid in one that was (i believe) 11' x 5' & it was amazing how comfortable it was.
    i broke my a couple vertebrae & a bunch of ribs in 2002, & last week (7/13) i took a fall onto my back that resulted in a compression fracture of t8.
    i've been sleeping every night in a hammock for over two years.
    after this last fall, i slept the first night on the couch w/ a big foam wedge & lots of pillows, but after that, it's been back to the hammock.
    i find the greatest comfort for me is using a partly inflated big agness (BA) insulated air core mat or exped down air mat (DAM).

back to your question about hammock choices... if you (or some one you know, even a local seamstress) could hem the 4 edges of a 4 yard length of fabric, it would be cheapest to make your own. plus you could play around w/ a few of the details.
    http://www.imrisk.com/testhammock/testhammock.htm
    but the eagles nest outfitter (ENO) double hammock is another option that's not very expensive.
    the speer hammock cost just a little more, but comes w/ velcro attachable bug net.
    check out the hammock manufacturers list on the hammock forums home page.
    feel free to ask more questions. ...tim
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

thank you for the response and the webpage link!

I had a throacic injury too, t4-t8, compression fracture's which has led to spinal arthritis and a curved spinal colomun.

I've been trying to get ourdoors again, got a nice tent, air mattress and pump. Its all fairly comfy, but it kills my back luggin around all this gear (and that airbed is heavy). I want to go lighter and eliminate/replace items. A hammock sounds great because I will essentially have a bed/tent in a small, compact, LIGHT package. Plus it would give me freedom of movement, the ability to set out anywhere for camping. I'm glad to have stumbled upon your community.

Now how is it w/ these hammocks that "Cacoon" you like in the link you've posted? Are the comfy? Is that only a style, or are most camp hammocks designed like that?

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    the cocoon or canyon effect can be reduced in a couple ways.
    one is by hanging the hammock w/ more sag. you'll still have a wall of fabric on one side of your face & the opposite side at your feet as you lay diagonal on the hammock, but this is much better than a high wall on each side.
    another option is to add tie outs w/ shock cord (like a HH), or you could add a spreader bar like i'm using on mine.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...5/P2110155.JPG
    click on "my gallery" by my name to find more pictures of the spreader bar. i believe you'll find them on about page 7 of my gallery.
    ...tim
    Last edited by slowhike; 07-21-2007 at 14:52.

Hammock
    Dutchware Half-Wit Hexon 1.6
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow & Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hvydrop View Post
    Welcome to HF, glad to have you along. The first hammock I ever bought was an ENO SingleNest, but I'd be willing to say that an ENO DoubleNest would be a perfect choice for you. It's a good, solid hammock that supports up to 400#, it's 10' long, giving you taller guys plenty of room and is very budget friendly. I have 2 of them, one for me, one for my son and we love them.
    "If you play a Nicleback song backwards, you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward, you'll hear Nickleback." - Dave Grohl

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    JRB 10X11, MacCat
    Insulation
    Snugfit, 2 JRBs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    welcome to HF hvydrop. my 1st recommendation would be a top loading hammock that is long & wide.
    i laid in one that was (i believe) 11' x 5' & it was amazing how comfortable it was.
    i broke my a couple vertebrae & a bunch of ribs in 2002, & last week (7/13) i took a fall onto my back that resulted in a compression fracture of t8.
    i've been sleeping every night in a hammock for over two years.
    after this last fall, i slept the first night on the couch w/ a big foam wedge & lots of pillows, but after that, it's been back to the hammock.
    i find the greatest comfort for me is using a partly inflated big agness (BA) insulated air core mat or exped down air mat (DAM).

back to your question about hammock choices... if you (or some one you know, even a local seamstress) could hem the 4 edges of a 4 yard length of fabric, it would be cheapest to make your own. plus you could play around w/ a few of the details.
    http://www.imrisk.com/testhammock/testhammock.htm
    but the eagles nest outfitter (ENO) double hammock is another option that's not very expensive.
    the speer hammock cost just a little more, but comes w/ velcro attachable bug net.
    check out the hammock manufacturers list on the hammock forums home page.
    feel free to ask more questions. ...tim
    Hi Tim,
    I'm going to hang tonight in my Speer using my Insulated Air Core. Any suggestions to make things more comfortable. Are you using it inside the sleeve in a Big Agnes bag? I have a Horse Thief. Are you situating the bag/Air Core on the diagonal?
    Thanks,
    Michael

Hammock
    Treklite Double
    Tarp
    SG 12 x 12 camo
    Insulation
    CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Rings!
    Images
    Hey man, I am 6'1" and around 250#, so I'm not a little guy and I bought a Treck lite Double hammock just got it in the mail two days ago, the hammock with the rope kit which is extremely simple to use wa 70 bucks, and it has plenty of room, I set it up yesterday and me, my girlfriend, both my three year olds and her sisters 3 year old were in it with me, it held us nicely, but a little tight, when the kids got out it was just the two of us and we had plenty of room together, with just me in it I have enough room to do just about whatever I want, It is plenty big.

Dameon

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by qpens View Post
    Hi Tim,
    I'm going to hang tonight in my Speer using my Insulated Air Core. Any suggestions to make things more comfortable. Are you using it inside the sleeve in a Big Agnes bag? I have a Horse Thief. Are you situating the bag/Air Core on the diagonal?
    Thanks,
    Michael
    michael... i often times use a BA horse thief too, but i removed the sleeve & zipper, making it into a quilt.
    you can still use yours as a quilt w/o doing surgery.
    i just lay directly on top of the BA, wearing what ever clothing that seems appropriate.
    and it's not to difficult to grab the edges of the BA mat & squirm to make it lay in the direction you want it to.
    but i would suggest trying it inflated at different thicknesses. i use mine less than 1/2 full. of course if it gets to the point of your but/hips & shoulders touching the hammock, there becomes a trade off in lost insulation... that is if the BA is the only source of insulation you're using on the bottom. ...tim

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    JRB 10X11, MacCat
    Insulation
    Snugfit, 2 JRBs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by slowhike View Post
    michael... i often times use a BA horse thief too, but i removed the sleeve & zipper, making it into a quilt.
    you can still use yours as a quilt w/o doing surgery.
    i just lay directly on top of the BA, wearing what ever clothing that seems appropriate.
    and it's not to difficult to grab the edges of the BA mat & squirm to make it lay in the direction you want it to.
    but i would suggest trying it inflated at different thicknesses. i use mine less than 1/2 full. of course if it gets to the point of your but/hips & shoulders touching the hammock, there becomes a trade off in lost insulation... that is if the BA is the only source of insulation you're using on the bottom. ...tim
    So, if I understand you correctly, you sleep directly on top of the air mat and only use the Horse Thief if you need it on top as a quilt when it is cold??
    MQ

Hammock
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by qpens View Post
    So, if I understand you correctly, you sleep directly on top of the air mat and only use the Horse Thief if you need it on top as a quilt when it is cold??
    MQ
    that's right. of course my clothing changes according to what i'm expecting the low temps & other conditions to be, & my clothes are part of my sleep system.
    but the BA insulated air core begins to feel cool to me in the low 50s & for sure as i get into the 40s.
    if i'm expecting those temps, i either take some sort of under quilt or switch to the much warmer exped DAM.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast