Thread: Poncho Tarp?

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Senior Member ringtail-THFKAfood's Avatar
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Poncho fly

Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    I just saw a thread on BPL about using the Go Lite poncho tarp as a hammock tarp. One person stated that the poncho tarp worked well while another person said their hammock got soaked and they had to bail out to a friends tent. Here's the thread:
    I am the person that uses a poncho for a fly. It works, but there are compromises. I also carry a double Spinnsheet and a rain jacket. The Spinsheet (3.3oz.) is used to block wind and/or windblown rain. The jacket is used to protect one end of the hammock where the poncho coverage is narrow.

I suspect that moisture migrated down the hammock lines and got the hammock damp. That may have been the cause of the other guys problems.

I hike in arid Colorado. I have used the poncho fly for probably 100 nights over 4 years. I may never have experienced the conditions that caused him to bail.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    - Mark Twain

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    There are a few pics of poncho tarps over hammock here. As Tim said, I don't like the idea of not having raingear after I set up camp.

Also, shelter is a no-fail item in some situations...and I've slipped and ripped a hole in my jacket before. I wouldn't want to slip and ruin both my raingear AND shelter in one fall. I can fix the raingear with duct tape...can't really fix a tarp under tension with duct tape...so I don't wear my shelter. But in summer where it doesn't really matter if you get wet, I'd be more likely to use something like this.

If you're going to make one, look at the slit head hole on the MLD tarps...makes for a nice straight ridgeline w/o the bunching of a traditional head hole.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    of course if someone liked wearing a poncho instead of a rain jacket, it would be nice to know that in the unlikely event that you had a catastrophic failure of your tarp, the poncho could be used instead.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Senior Member ringtail-THFKAfood's Avatar
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

style v. poncho

A hammock will not suit all hiking styles. When I used a tent I would roll up my pad, stuff my bag, change clothes and leave the tent organized in the morning. I miss that with the hammock and that is the reason that I carry the Spinnsheet (3.3 oz.) as a packing/unpacking staging area. The Spinnsheet protects the head end of the hammock where coverage is narrow. The Spinnsheet has many other uses.

Few people prefer ponchos. Me and the 75 year old guy that I often hike with are the only people that I know that use ponchos. Ponchos have strengths and weaknesses. The goal is to match the tool to the job. I also carry a wind shirt/jacket. For bushwhacking it is a Sierra Designs Anorka (9.1 oz.). In wet weather it is a DriDucks jacket (6.0 oz.) For wind and cold it is a GoLite Ether (3.5 oz.) The jacket is for camp/breaks and also protects the foot end of the hammock where coverage is narrow.

A poncho/fly will only fit a few peoples' style, but it will keep you dry. I hiked a six night trip last year and we had our ponchos on at some time every day. One day we stopped at 2:30 so we could pitch camp before the rain. I was very happy with the performance of the poncho/fly. I have a lot of shelter choices, but the HH with poncho/fly is my most used.
    It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.
    - Mark Twain

Hammock
    My DIY 10.5'X5' speer style
    Tarp
    PW 10X12 Cathedral
    Insulation
    PW Comforter Quilt
    Suspension
    1"poly webbing
    Images
    Thank you for all the great suggestions. I just got back camping with the family and my webbing broke @ 2:30 am. I HATE sleeping on the ground!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I will keep experimenting and let yall know.
    Psalm 19:1-3 "The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge. There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard."

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Preacha Man View Post
    I just got back camping with the family and my webbing broke @ 2:30 am. I HATE sleeping on the ground!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    What kind of webbing? Nylon?
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    My DIY 10.5'X5' speer style
    Tarp
    PW 10X12 Cathedral
    Insulation
    PW Comforter Quilt
    Suspension
    1"poly webbing
    Images
    yes! I was hanging around 25' between trees, and woke up on the ground. So, sleepy I retied the webbing and got it tighter and that did me in. I have tried polypro tubing but it is heavy, I am trying to find 1.5" poly
    Psalm 19:1-3 "The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge. There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard."

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Preacha Man View Post
    yes! I was hanging around 25' between trees, and woke up on the ground. So, sleepy I retied the webbing and got it tighter and that did me in. I have tried polypro tubing but it is heavy, I am trying to find 1.5" poly
    Poly...as in polypro or polyester?

I've had good luck with 1" polyester. Strapworks carries polyester in 1", 1.5", and 2".
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    yep, the polyester should take better care of you, especially if you're going to be hanging between trees that far apart.
    the farther apart the trees, the stronger support you're going to need.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast