My DIY 10.5'X5' speer style
    Tarp
    PW 10X12 Cathedral
    Insulation
    PW Comforter Quilt
    Suspension
    1"poly webbing
    Images
    Thanks Angrysparrow for the link to strapworks. I cannot find polyester anywhere near me, and yes polyester is what I meant by poly, thanks again guys.
    Psalm 19:1-3 "The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork. Day unto day uttereth speech, and night unto night sheweth knowledge. There is no speech nor language, where their voice is not heard."

Poncho Tarp?

I'm your huckleberry! I'm the one who posted my results of the GoLite poncho/tarp as a rainfly on Backpackinglight.com. I tested it out a month ago in the foothills of the Appalachians in a heavy thunderstorm with blowing rain. It was one of those tornado like storms where the trees blow in circles and look like they could blow over any minute. I found that the right hand side at the head and left hand side at the foot does not have adequate coverage with just the poncho as a rainfly if it is pitched asymmetrically. Food's solution to use his spinnaker and rain jacket to help cover the ends would likely work in this situation so long as your fly is pitched low and tight and your hammock is strung high and tight with very little sag. Another issue is that the hood acts as a funnel if it's not either tied up or placed on the downward slope. I'm kicking around the idea of making my own poncho/rainfly that would more adequately cover. I'm thinking that if you made it longer and pitched it like a tarp shelter with the four corners guyed, it would offer better coverage. Or maybe even a hex rainfly design with a hood in the center.

Images
    Admittedly, I did not read every single post, so hopefully no one said this already. A diamond shaped poncho tarp would be best, something like the SMD Gatewood Cape. However, that cape is probably a bit too small.

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wamyteipen View Post
    I'm your huckleberry! I'm the one who posted my results of the GoLite poncho/tarp as a rainfly on Backpackinglight.com. I tested it out a month ago in the foothills of the Appalachians in a heavy thunderstorm with blowing rain. It was one of those tornado like storms where the trees blow in circles and look like they could blow over any minute. I found that the right hand side at the head and left hand side at the foot does not have adequate coverage with just the poncho as a rainfly if it is pitched asymmetrically. Food's solution to use his spinnaker and rain jacket to help cover the ends would likely work in this situation so long as your fly is pitched low and tight and your hammock is strung high and tight with very little sag. Another issue is that the hood acts as a funnel if it's not either tied up or placed on the downward slope. I'm kicking around the idea of making my own poncho/rainfly that would more adequately cover. I'm thinking that if you made it longer and pitched it like a tarp shelter with the four corners guyed, it would offer better coverage. Or maybe even a hex rainfly design with a hood in the center.
    Wamytiepen, et al,

Use of a rectangular poncho will have the same + and - as the standard asym fly of the HH, plus the hood issues.... When hung on the diagonal it will have two strong side coverages, over your head and over your feet.... It will also have two weak side coverages on the other sides caused by the long shallow angle.... There is also no true ridgeline and the cross bias pitch will result in pocket(s) in the ridge are, especially if on a shallow pitch.... When full, these pockets dump, and the water normally flows over the side of least resistance (the weak sides)... It may or may not wet that side of the hammock....a rain jacket over one of the two week sides and lower pitches will help.... many folk simply eliminate this potential issue by using symetrical tarps..... so if you intend to make one, make it wider so as to be a square as a minimum....consider putting the seam on the ridgeline.... there are cape mods for tarps that allow them to be used as rain gear also, recognize that separate brimmed hats are used when this approach is taken.

Post some pics when done.

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123