Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    I guess it is a tiny bit more involved to get in and out since the net isn't physically attached.
    It only takes a single face-plant after getting one's foot caught on the net when exiting to make you leery. I'm not a graceful person in the middle of the day; first thing in the morning is worse by a factor of 10.

JMO...both are wonderful hammocks.
    Definitely an opinion I share!
    Trust nobody!

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    But, is that not a matter of perspective? ..... A separate bugnet ups the fiddle factor once in camp; entry and egress is made a bit more involved too........... However, it's easier (ie. simpler) for me to get in and out of hammocks that have an integrated netting.
    I guess it is a tiny bit more involved to get in and out since the net isn't physically attached.

I don't know about the fiddle factor, though. Leaving the bug net on the hammock is pretty simple, and you just have to snug up the ends of the net after you hang the hammock. That is on par with staking out the BB sides, as far as effort is concerned.

JMO...both are wonderful hammocks.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cannibal View Post
    It only takes a single face-plant after getting one's foot caught on the net when exiting to make you leery. I'm not a graceful person in the middle of the day; first thing in the morning is worse by a factor of 10...............
    Yeah, it may be perspective and just exactly how you are looking at the pros and cons. As for the fiddle factor, that is kind of like the HHSS, or maybe even some other UQs/PeaPods. 90% of the hassle is upon initial set up. Then, just like with the SS, I pretty much leave it in place after that, so as soon as I hang the hammock it is mostly ready to go.

It seems awfully easy for me, getting in and out, with the separate net. I can't tell you how often I have unzipped the Black Bird further than I need to. Only to realize once I am in and laying down and snugged in a quilt with Torso UQ adjusted just right, that I can not reach the foot end zipper tab. you would think I'd learn, but I don't. I have not used the separate net in a while, but I am thinking that zipper is always within reach, even when wide open?

I had not considered getting tripped up and falling. Apparently this has not yet been a problem. I'll have to pay attention to that!

To me the main factor is weight. I cut the net off of mt HH. I was disappointed to find it did not even weigh quite 3 oz. My WB net weighs more like 7 or 8 oz counting stuff sack(which mostly would stay at home). So I am 4 or 5 oz in the wrong direction that way. But, I love being able to reach out of that HH and adjust the SShelter, or get something on the ground. But the weight penalty would not be as great if you were using a Traveler instead of BB, because you would save a bit more weight by losing the shelf, zippers and foot box in addition to the net.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    But the weight penalty would not be as great if you were using a Traveler instead of BB, because you would save a bit more weight by losing the shelf, zippers and foot box in addition to the net.
    There doesn't appear to be a penalty, using the weight numbers on the WB site.

Single 1.1 BB w/cording suspension = 20oz
    Single 1.1 Traveler w/cording suspension and Traveler Net = 20oz

You give up the shelf in exchange for a fully removable net.

Those are nice choices to have.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    DL 1.7 Blackbird
    Tarp
    SuperFly/snakeskin
    Insulation
    exped 9 dlx, sb UQ
    Suspension
    warbonnet straps
    Images

ww bugnet zipper mod

Now that I have a sewing machine (thread injector for you others) I'm gonna modify my wb bugnet. I'm gonna put in a zipper on one end so that when not in use, the net can be pushed over to one side, past all the stuff in the hammock like the bag, pad, uq, and whatever else. deployment will now be a simple operation.

I'll also do this to my eno "guardian" bugnet as well.

this adds some weight but I'd rather have the function.
    now I have to find the right sized zipper for this ......
    Last edited by spidennis; 03-10-2010 at 08:18.

Images
    There doesn't appear to be a penalty, using the weight numbers on the WB site.

Single 1.1 BB w/cording suspension = 20oz
    Single 1.1 Traveler w/cording suspension and Traveler Net = 20oz

You give up the shelf in exchange for a fully removable net.

Those are nice choices to have.
    OK, even better. I knew it would be less penalty, the good news is it is zero. But sense all I got rid of with my HH mod was ~ 2.5 oz of netting, there is about a 5 oz penalty with that set up. But, I solved my frequent problem of the HH net in my face, plus the many other conveniences of being able to reach out. Or, for many, the advantage of not having to use the bottom entry.

Hammock
    WB Tribe
    Tarp
    OGeeTarp & OES
    Insulation
    PHOENIX/BURROW
    Suspension
    Webbing N Whoopie
    I own a traveler hammock and I would agree that being able to remove the netting when it is not needed is most definetely a nice option to have. You get a weight saving, no fiddle factor, and in the shoulder seasons and the winter you most often don't need a bug-net anywho. The traveler hammock is one smooth ride when it comes to the lay-factor. HYOH/YMMV
    Just saying.

Nothing but net-less....Barefoot Child
    "If'n I'm gonna fall, someone is gonna' watch."
    Sean Emery

Hammock
    Warbonet Traveler
    Tarp
    Golite 8x10
    Insulation
    KAQ "Lost River"
    Suspension
    Warbonet Straps
    Images

New Warbonet Bugnet

Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    i just changed the travel net design a few days ago. i had one customer ask for a custom traveler that was as large as would fit in the travel net, this is only about 10'8" hammock. i liked it, but decided to scale down the net to fit the regular travler hammock instead.

now, the rl of the traveler supports the netting, and nothing is needed to suspend the net outward from the end rings. the end rings are still there in case someone wants to use on a shorter hammock so they can tension it, but this is no longer needed if using with the traveler.
    I'm intrigued! Any pics Brandon?

PS love my Traveler

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12