Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    Seems kind of authoritarian for a national park
    BSF is a "recreation area" thus the lack of regulations. The river is a "National River".

GSMNP falls under the national park regulations

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL
    Tarp
    SWT+full ridgeline
    Insulation
    Yeti 3-season
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ewker View Post
    you can only call 30 days ahead of time for sites that need resevations.
    Yeah...I'm all over the map on this one. It's been a long time since I've been there and was going on memory (which ain't as good as it used to be). Mea Culpa!

Edit--With all this new information (truth vs my misconceptions) I'm going to have to rethink my anti-GSMNP position.
    Last edited by bdpalace; 03-10-2010 at 10:30. Reason: epiphany
    Strangers stopping strangers just to shake their hand - Robert Hunter

Hammock
    BIAS Camper
    Tarp
    WB Edge
    Insulation
    WB Yeti/HH Incubat
    Suspension
    UCRs
    Images
    The majority of campsites in the Smokies do not require reservations. However ALL shelters and some high-impact campsites do require reservations. This page give you info on which require reservations and how to get them.

If none of your chosen sites requires a reservation, then simply stop at one of the many facilities listed, fill out a permit with the desired sites and dates, leave one copy at the station, place one on your dash, and take one with you. You're hiking!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Super Fly
    Insulation
    WB Lynx FL
    Suspension
    Webbing
    Newfound gap north to Davenport Gap stay in the shelters along the AT , reservation can be applied for no more than 30 days prior to you

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    at whiteblaze.net there is a hiker name OXGAME, he is a trail maintainer in the GSMNP, he can tell you exactly what the rules are for camping/hanging/reservations/etc.
    As far as hiking difficulty the Smokies offers all types of trail (over 800 miles of maintained trails in the park). I've done the AT through there a couple of times and few other trails so its all I can speak of. If you start at either end (Davenport Gap or Fontana) you will have a big climb up the first day or two but then its a ridge walk...a ridge with mountains on it HA! and conversely at either end you'll have a giant downhill.
    If you want a long hike up to like 7 days I'd recommend the BMT--you will have solitude and not have to worry about reservations and you get some time by Fontana Lake.

Hammock
    ENO double nest
    Tarp
    DIY 8x 10 silnylon
    Insulation
    50* p pod
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ikemouser View Post
    Seems kind of authoritarian for a national park.
    it really isn't you can just grab a permit at certain park kiosks, put your name, scribble some shelters or camp spots, and go on your way.

the smokies are too good of a place to miss because of some misconceptions. you can see a map of the park on its website and the possibilities are endless. just know it can get wet there and that is a bigger concern if you are dead set on having views. but definitely go to mt lconte.

Hammock
    WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'
    so there is no way to use my hammock in this place? From photographs the smokies look like a hangers paradise.

Hammock
    WarBonnet BB 1.1 DBL
    Tarp
    Maccat Deluxe Spin
    Insulation
    JRB No Sniv + Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoppie Slingin'
    Quote Originally Posted by MedicineMan View Post
    at whiteblaze.net there is a hiker name OXGAME, he is a trail maintainer in the GSMNP, he can tell you exactly what the rules are for camping/hanging/reservations/etc.
    As far as hiking difficulty the Smokies offers all types of trail (over 800 miles of maintained trails in the park). I've done the AT through there a couple of times and few other trails so its all I can speak of. If you start at either end (Davenport Gap or Fontana) you will have a big climb up the first day or two but then its a ridge walk...a ridge with mountains on it HA! and conversely at either end you'll have a giant downhill.
    If you want a long hike up to like 7 days I'd recommend the BMT--you will have solitude and not have to worry about reservations and you get some time by Fontana Lake.
    THANKS medicineman

Hammock
    DIY WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 10x10 Cat cut
    Insulation
    Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Can you give us some more details? How many days are you looking at? Average distance each day? I came up with a possible loop out of Elkmont that is about 40 miles. Will let you know more when I figure it out a little more.
    I don't think reservations would be a big deal since you have the hammocks. Just move a little out of the main area and just be sure to use their fire ring.

Hammock
    Hennessey
    Tarp
    Asym
    Suspension
    Garda Hitch
    Images
    I'm new here, but i figure this is a good place to start since the smokies are practically in my backyard and I hang my hammock there all the time.

It has been mentioned a few times, but perhaps I can summarize.

1) Permits are required in several of the 'high use' camping areas. (When you consider how popular the GSMNP is perhaps you can better understand why. You want to have a place to actually fit in when you get there!)
    2) Reservations can be made up to 30 days ahead of time by calling.
    3) You must camp only at the designated areas, but since there are tons of them all over the place, it isnt really a big deal.

I promise you that you will enjoy any campsite you stay at. I usually avoid the 'first' site off each trail because that is where people who are not really backpackers often frequent, so they can be crowded. My current favorite site is a two night loop leaving out of Cosby campground. If you want to know more just ask.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast