DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    DIY 5 oz CS Apex
    Suspension
    Straps w TiBuckles
    Images

Hammock Camping on a Budget Revisited: OK, Whats Next?

Hey Y'all,

Its been a while since I last posted. I've been doing a lot of lurking but just haven't had much to say.

Back in June 2013 I posted a link to a blog entry that I'd written about a putting together a set of hammock camping gear on a pretty tight budget...here's a link to that thread:

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...Camping+Budget

I've upgraded my gear a bit since then and I'm happy to say that, for the most part, I've managed to make those upgrades without breaking the bank. With that in mind, I've put together another blog entry to share the tips and strategies that I used. Here's a link to the entry: https://getoutga.wordpress.com/2019/...ok-whats-next/

If you find the entry useful I'd love to know. Also, If you have tips of your own that you'd like share, please send leave me a comment on the blog or share them here and I might add it to the entry.

Thanks,

Steve D

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 oz Hyper D Baby
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Good write-ups on both the first one and the second one. I agree with you it's not very difficult to run a sewing machine as long as you have access to one - I think it's really just a mindset however some people are inclined to try to build something and other people would rather purchase or buy off the rack. Excellent strategies on mitigating cost - I think you've missed a few areas in the fact that a lot of thrift stores now are starting to have gear that can be utilized for hammock camping - and although you mentioned it, trading into better gear is also an excellent strategy - cost being a huge one and experience from the party you are buying from. A lot of people will share their experience and why they are trading out of the gear as well as what they're hoping to trade into. Gives you a perspective on where that person was and where they're headed.

Finally I believe the last chunk to this is the ability to test out or try the gear. I only know of one strategy for that and that typically is attending a group hang which depending on where you're at can be an easy thing or can be a challenge. In my area there doesn't seem to be very many group hangs so I relied heavily on YouTube when I was first getting into the gig.

Anyhow I enjoyed reading your blogs.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfJ...XMJUMaraHGfzhA

Hammock
    DH Raven/Darien
    Tarp
    WB Mountainfly
    Insulation
    Loco Libre/HG/SLD
    Suspension
    Myerstech/Becket
    Great write-up! I have taken the same "don't break the bank" approach with my hammock camping/backpacking gear. Most of my big ticket items have come via gifts for special occasions. The rest has just been slowly and steadily upgrading/upcylcling pieces as I have the means to do so. All in all, the actual $ I have directly contributed to my setup has been pretty minimal.

I would recommend adding Simply Light Designs to your list of cottage vendors.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    While I now have a lot of gear, it took time to accumulate via DIY, buying used on forum, sales, raffles ect. Very few of us have the money to just go out and buy everything brand new. While I can sew and have the art of sewing a crooked seam down to a science, I gave up trying to sew a hammock with a integrated bug net and or a quilt requiring baffles as I decided I would have to get a sewing machine with a deep throat. So I sew my own stuff sacks, ridge line organizers, GE hammocks with out a bug net and have made a few quilts with Clamashield. I buy my down quilts and hammocks with integrated bug nets from the vendors as I can not come close to doing the level of quality work they can
    Last edited by gunner76; 03-05-2019 at 21:41.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Hex 2.4 gathered
    Tarp
    Xenon wide asym
    omg….exactly how I started. I did try whipping the ends of my first hammock. Slept in it 1 night, sewed channels the next day. But yeah, taffeta table cloth, probly cost me $10, 1" poly straps with descender rings. 10x12 blue poly tarp. considering I already had the tarp lying around here, probly $30 - $40 my first set up.
    My worst night in a hammock was still better than my best night in a tent!!!!

Hammock
    DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    DIY 5 oz CS Apex
    Suspension
    Straps w TiBuckles
    Images
    GillyGilligan - Great ideas! I hadn't thought of thrift shops and I should have thought about trading and going to hangs (try before you buy). I'll add those and give you creds, of course.

rweb82 - Simply Light Designs...got it! I almost put them on my list to begin with but I'm not familiar with them. I'll give them a look and add them to the list.

HeftyHanger - I'm still using my tablecloth hammock and to be honest, its still my favorite, even over my Chameleon.

Hammock
    Hex 2.4 gathered
    Tarp
    Xenon wide asym
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve D View Post
    HeftyHanger - I'm still using my tablecloth hammock and to be honest, its still my favorite, even over my Chameleon.
    I'm a big guy, 315lbs down from 370lbs. was a bit stretchy for me. Made another with 2.4 hex which I sleep in every night.

Forgot to mention I rigged an old sleeping bag under my hammock for my under quilt, used another old sleeping bag for my top quilt. Ugliest set up u ever saw, but I was comfy and warm.
    Last edited by Hefty Hanger; 03-05-2019 at 13:29.
    My worst night in a hammock was still better than my best night in a tent!!!!

Hammock
    DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    DIY 5 oz CS Apex
    Suspension
    Straps w TiBuckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hefty Hanger View Post
    Forgot to mention I rigged an old sleeping bag under my hammock for my under quilt, used another old sleeping bag for my top quilt. Ugliest set up u ever saw, but I was comfy and warm.
    LOL, I've done something similar. Was butt-ugly but I was warm and happy and that's what mattered.

Hammock
    DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    DIY 5 oz CS Apex
    Suspension
    Straps w TiBuckles
    Images
    I've updated the blog entry. GillyGilligan, rweb82, and Gunner76...you're famous! Well, maybe not exactly famous but...

Hammock
    DIY 12' 1.6 oz Hyper D Baby
    Tarp
    DIY 12' RSBTR kit
    Insulation
    UGQ-uq OWLtq DIYsy
    Suspension
    SpiderStrap TI tog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve D View Post
    I've updated the blog entry. GillyGilligan, rweb82, and Gunner76...you're famous! Well, maybe not exactly famous but...
    Glad I could help

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Be The light in Someone's Darkness - Change the World one Act of Compassion, One Act of Kindness at a Time - We are All Living on Borrowed Time
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfJ...XMJUMaraHGfzhA

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast