ENO Doublenest Modified
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Recycled down UQ
    Suspension
    Whopi-sling

ONE GREAT NIGHT and one not so great night

So I've hung in my hammock two nights now. The first was one of the best sleeping experiences ever. I used an old sleeping bag cut down the side and wrapped under the hammock as a under quilt. This kept me warm, and comfy all night long. The second attempt I tried to lighten my load and used a sleeping pad (foam) that I had trimmed to the shape of my body. I got a ton of draft and air coming in at the sides of my sleeping bag through the hammock, and couldn't seem to stay on the pad all night long. Probably one of the worst nights ever. I ended up hiking to a shelter on the AT to try and get a decent night sleep around 3a.m. I'm convinced the under quilt is the way to go. I'll be making my own ASAP. I doubt everyone feels the same, but no more pads for me.

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    100% Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    I am also in the learning stages of hangin. I was wanting to do exactly what you have done. I have not hung without the underquilt yet but from the sounds of it maybe I dont want to. What kind of pad were you using, when you were on the pad were you comfy or was it miserable all the way around??

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest Modified
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Recycled down UQ
    Suspension
    Whopi-sling
    Quote Originally Posted by Hangin' J View Post
    What kind of pad were you using, when you were on the pad were you comfy or was it miserable all the way around??
    I was using the 5$ pad you can buy at walmart, one of the blue foam ones. I cut the pad to the contore of my body to eliminate extra weight, mostly in the feet and leg sections of the pad. It felt plenty comfy, but after 30 min. I found I was slipping off the pad as I wiggled around to maintain warmth. My butt and back were warm enough, but the sides not so much. I think if I attached sides up around the shoulders and waist like some pads I've seen on the Forum it might be okay.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hangin' J View Post
    I am also in the learning stages of hangin. I was wanting to do exactly what you have done. I have not hung without the underquilt yet but from the sounds of it maybe I dont want to. What kind of pad were you using, when you were on the pad were you comfy or was it miserable all the way around??
    Quote Originally Posted by kevinnathenbowie View Post
    I was using the 5$ pad you can buy at walmart, one of the blue foam ones. I cut the pad to the contore of my body to eliminate extra weight, mostly in the feet and leg sections of the pad. It felt plenty comfy, but after 30 min. I found I was slipping off the pad as I wiggled around to maintain warmth. My butt and back were warm enough, but the sides not so much. I think if I attached sides up around the shoulders and waist like some pads I've seen on the Forum it might be okay.
    That HH Deep Jungle has a double layer pad pocket, does it not? If so, that would make using a pad MUCH easier than in an ENO, unless you used a $40 Speer SPE to manage the pad, stack pads and use the SPE wings to add width where you need it. But, in the HH pad pocket, you will need a pad wide enough at the shoulders and maybe hips and knees in some positions, like the side.

Still, most folks prefer quilts, comfort wise.

Hammock
    Switchback, DD frontline, or speer
    Tarp
    tttghex DD 3 x 3
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, DD, bags
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling, web
    Images
    I have used pads inside a Hennesy safari, and in the double layer of a DDhammock. There is no question, that the best sleep, regarding the pads, was in the double layer hammock. I fought the pad all night long, even though I thought I had more than enough pad. I did a "T" like sgt Rock shows, but they still slipped around, as I did not fasten the pads. When I used the double layer, the pad stayed where I put it, and no more fighting.

John

Hammock
    WB Blackbird & Traveler
    Tarp
    MC SpinntexDeLux
    Insulation
    MW3,Yeti,HGsb,UL90
    Suspension
    WS
    Images
    Pad experience in my 1st hammock (HH ULBP)drove me to uq. Tried all my old ground dwelling day pads (ancient self inflating Thermarest, Ridgerest & Z-pad, cut "to shape" Oware). Wrinkles, drafts, movement. A pad that stays put that I do use with an uq is the Thermarest Prolite XS(torso size). For warm summer conditions it's a lightweight/compact option.
    Noel V.

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle
    Tarp
    HH Hex Fly
    Insulation
    100% Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    That HH Deep Jungle has a double layer pad pocket, does it not? If so, that would make using a pad MUCH easier than in an ENO, unless you used a $40 Speer SPE to manage the pad, stack pads and use the SPE wings to add width where you need it. But, in the HH pad pocket, you will need a pad wide enough at the shoulders and maybe hips and knees in some positions, like the side.

Still, most folks prefer quilts, comfort wise.

Yup my Deep Jungle does in fact have the double layer. The bubble pad that it comes with even had shock cord that attachs to the hammock tieouts. I am thinking of adding another pad with it to get a little more coverage. The biggest problem I have with the pad is condensation, which in turn soaks the bottom of the hammock and my SB.

• + New Posts