Custom 1.7/1.1 WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY SWT
    Insulation
    JRB Nest & DIY RMS
    Suspension
    Whoopee Slings
    Images
    I think Just Jeff started calling them Crazy Creek buckles because they were first found on a hammock made by Crazy Creek. I think he was able to get some thru Crazy Creek but it wasn't easy. OnRope is the best source we have found so far.
    Stoikurt
    "Work to Live...Don't Live to Work!"

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    Yep, after a thorough search myself, I believe OnRope1 is the only source that sells them outright.

They got that name from JustJeff, I believe, because that's where he first saw them, and he actually got his from them I believe. I guess they are used somehow as a part of the Crazy Creek Cribs.

I agree that they should probably be called cinch buckles, and I've used that term here before, but it hasn't 'stuck' yet.

Props go out to JustJeff and BlackBishop for finding/sharing the info originally about the buckles!

They do work really well. I'm starting to lean in favor of the buckles over the rings. I believe they are a safer choice than the rings for two reasons. No knot to tie and you dont have to make sure the rings are in line with your suspension rope or uneven. Probably safer for the masses. That being said, I've never had any problems with my rings.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Images

Not Crazy Creek?

Well, then, that explains why I have never been able to find any Crazy Creek brand buckles at the Crazy Creek site or elsewhere! I guess they don't exist as an individual item?

Thanks for the sources, Griz. Now it looks like I'm off to find either rings or CINCH buckles!

Hammock
    Warbonnet Traveler/Blackbird
    Tarp
    HMG Cuben
    Insulation
    CrowsNest & IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images

Thanks for the info on ring/buckle options

All, I appreciate all the great info and responses to this thread. The ring/buckle upgrade will definitely be my next hammock project. As with most things, it sounds like there are several options I'll need to evaluate.

"Also, The Weminuche mention brings memories. Of a long ago trip ( no hammock, and heavy packs!) to Chicago Basin and over a pass down to I think it was a Johnson Creek and out to some large reservoir ( name? Can't remember) south east of Chicago Basin."

BillyBob58, I believe that you probably came out at Vallecito reservoir. In our trip we took the Durango/Silverton train and got dropped off at Elk Park trailhead, and did a 50 mile loop that ended up going over Columbine Pass, through Chicago Basin and back down to the Needleton trailhead where we got picked up by the train. Now that is some beautiful country over there.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by drewboy View Post
    BillyBob58, I believe that you probably came out at Vallecito reservoir. In our trip we took the Durango/Silverton train and got dropped off at Elk Park trailhead, and did a 50 mile loop that ended up going over Columbine Pass, through Chicago Basin and back down to the Needleton trailhead where we got picked up by the train. Now that is some beautiful country over there.

Yep, Vallecito, that's it! And I believe it was Columbine pass also, that sounds very familiar. But in reverse- up Needle creek and over ( Columbine?) pass down to what I think was Johnson Creek and on to Vallecito. The Johnson Creek ( if that was the name of it) area was the place of the infamous porcupine "attack" I have reported on elsewhere:
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ight=porcupine
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 07-23-2007 at 15:39.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    That's right about the name - those are the buckles used on the Crazy Cribs. I got mine directly from Crazy Creek by contacting their customer service...it's not an item they actually offer but they worked with me on it. Didn't know where else to find these type of buckles at that time, so I just called them Crazy Creek buckles b/c everyone knew what I was talking about. But since then a few other sources have shown up.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    i believe arkwater was the 1st one to find another source for the CC type buckles in this thread
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...hlight=buckles
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12