Castaway
    Tarp
    Equinox sil tarp
    Insulation
    down sleeping bags
    Suspension
    rigid SLS + whoopy

Hi from Jim S oregon

I've always camped above tree line in the Sierras and used tents. Now I live in Sisters Oregon and find that not only are there a billion pine trees - like everywhere, but the "ground" between them is often composed of recent lava flow. There simply are few tent spots, so I am going to try to camp in the trees. I would much prefer to sleep in my tent, but it isn't an option.
    Jim S

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Welcome, once you give hanging a try you may decide you like it better. Just saying.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    DIY-Darian UL-like
    Tarp
    z-Packs cuben
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim S View Post
    I've always camped above tree line in the Sierras and used tents. Now I live in Sisters Oregon and find that not only are there a billion pine trees - like everywhere, but the "ground" between them is often composed of recent lava flow. There simply are few tent spots, so I am going to try to camp in the trees. I would much prefer to sleep in my tent, but it isn't an option.
    Jim S
    Jim S,
    Sisters- Great location. I was out in Eugene for about 9 months last year. Did a few dozen trips up around your neck of the woods. The Hammock was the way to go. Tent sites are hard to come by especially compared to Hammock sites. On the West side of the Cascades you have the lava flow rocks and on the East side the ferns and dense understory. Very different from the Sierras. One of my problems was taking webbing long enough to wrap around the trees up there. Anyway, welcome to HF and hope you find what you need here.
    -SlowBro
    "Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."-Theodore Roosevelt

Hammock
    Castaway
    Tarp
    Equinox sil tarp
    Insulation
    down sleeping bags
    Suspension
    rigid SLS + whoopy

Hi from Jim S Oregon

Thanks for the welcome. I am a sprawler as far as sleeping. I generally just lay on my big agnes and toss and turn under my unzipped leeping bag used as a quilt. I am in pain just imagining having to sleep in one position all night.

I was on a trip to Whatum Lake (north of Mt Hood, with a bunch from the TLZ forum, and Bigfoot2. I had my tent up in 5 minutes, but the Douglas fir up there are 3-4 feet in diameter and 15-20 feet apart. It took the other guys, all hammockers up to an hour to find two tres that their suspensions would work on. Later I tripped on a line from one of the hammocks so we moved my tent. Popped out the stakes, two of us picked it up and moved it, put in the stakes - about two minutes to move the tent.

However football sized volcanic bombs do not make a soft bed. I will use a retired kermantle 11mm climbing rope.
    Jim S

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Welcome to the forum. 11mm climbing rope, for what??
    If your thinking of using it for hanging the hammock its too heavy and stretches too much or am i missing something. Most folks here have found the switch to hammocks a good adventure.
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    DIY-Darian UL-like
    Tarp
    z-Packs cuben
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Straps
    Images
    Thanks for the welcome. I am a sprawler as far as sleeping. I generally just lay on my big agnes and toss and turn under my unzipped leeping bag used as a quilt. I am in pain just imagining having to sleep in one position all night.

I was on a trip to Whatum Lake (north of Mt Hood, with a bunch from the TLZ forum, and Bigfoot2. I had my tent up in 5 minutes, but the Douglas fir up there are 3-4 feet in diameter and 15-20 feet apart. It took the other guys, all hammockers up to an hour to find two tres that their suspensions would work on. Later I tripped on a line from one of the hammocks so we moved my tent. Popped out the stakes, two of us picked it up and moved it, put in the stakes - about two minutes to move the tent.

However football sized volcanic bombs do not make a soft bed. I will use a retired kermantle 11mm climbing rope.
    Jim S
    I had a similar experience to yours last summer in Colorado only in reverse. We got to the area we wanted to camp and I had my hammock up in about 5 minutes. The flat tent sites were few and far between and it took the other guys, all tenters, another hour to find a decent spot and get set up. As it was, I easily moved my hammock over a log later so one of my friends could use the area under my hammock as it was flatter and it didn't matter to me.

You bring up a good point though. There are many places that a tent is easier to pitch than a hammock. Obviously you need some trees for the hammock and they need to be spaced appropriately. Of course in the forested areas of Oregon there are probably a lot more place to put a hammock than a tent. The unique thing about a hammock is that you can set up on a 30 or 40 degree slope and do just fine. You can hang over a log or boulders, brush, and lava. You can even set up over swampy muddy areas with out too much of a problem.

Sounds like your tent is quick to set up and trivial to move. Of course there are plenty of tents that seem to take their owners a hour to put up and take down. Some hammock suspensions take a while to tweak and others you can slap up and get your hammock hung in in a couple minutes.

We tend to be a little gung-ho about hammocks here, but for many applications a tent might be better ( no trees comes to mind ). Sounds like you will have the options for both and that gives you the best of all possible worlds.
    -SlowBro

Hammock
    Castaway
    Tarp
    Equinox sil tarp
    Insulation
    down sleeping bags
    Suspension
    rigid SLS + whoopy
    Slobro now you've got me ta thinkin - a dangerous thing. My sil tent weighs 16 ounces with stakes. and its 8 feet long. I wonder if I could tie off the ends and hang it as a hammock? Carrying the tent. a suspension and a spare tarp would put it at a hare over 3 pounds, but would be very versatile. Would still need some mosquito net for the hammock version, I suppose it could be permanently attached to the top of the tent as it would only be a few ounces.
    Jim S

Hammock
    DIY-Darian UL-like
    Tarp
    z-Packs cuben
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Straps
    Images

GrandTrunk All Terrain Hybrid????

Slobro now you've got me ta thinkin - a dangerous thing. My sil tent weighs 16 ounces with stakes. and its 8 feet long. I wonder if I could tie off the ends and hang it as a hammock? Carrying the tent. a suspension and a spare tarp would put it at a hare over 3 pounds, but would be very versatile. Would still need some mosquito net for the hammock version, I suppose it could be permanently attached to the top of the tent as it would only be a few ounces.
    Jim S
    I've considered such a thing myself. I don't know how tall you are but you will want the hammock to be at least 2 to three feet longer than you are tall. Usual width is around 60 inches for most gathered end hammocks. The main problem you will have is with moisture. Most hammocks are made with breathable fabric. A sil tent won't breath. Water proof hammocks tend to become bathtubs of sweat in the summer or in humid conditions. They apparently can work ok in cold weather as kind of a vapor barrier system, or so I understand. Still it would be pretty cool to have a tent/hammock set up. ( Actually I understand that THIS hammock does something like that.)

I wonder if anyone on this forum has experience with The GrandTrunk All Terrain Hybrid Shelter?
    -SlowBro

Hammock
    WARBONNET BLACKBIRD
    Tarp
    wallyworld blue
    Insulation
    YETI
    Suspension
    straps and rings
    Images
    jim I carry 15 fot long straps on my hammock just for that reason. as far as having to stay still all night, Iwas the same way sleeping on the ground,in the hammock, I don't need to move to get comfortable even though I can if I want to. welcome to the forums
    I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane. - Waylon Jennings

Banned
    Hammock
    Nylon between two trees.
    Tarp
    Simply Light
    Insulation
    enLIGHTened Eqmt.
    Suspension
    Made Some Whoopie!

About Time, Jim!

About time you showed up here, Jim! Welcome to the "dark side"

Looks like hammocks are growing on you, so here's a Darkness video to welcome you to the fold:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-MtY...eature=related

BF

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast