Nylon between two trees.
    Tarp
    Simply Light
    Insulation
    enLIGHTened Eqmt.
    Suspension
    Made Some Whoopie!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim S View Post
    Yer pretty weird BF, maybe that's why we get along.

Anyway I was watching some of the informational videos on this group, specifically about hanging hammocks and suspensions. It amazes me the extent that people will go to avoid learning to tie knots.
    Jim S

We know how to tie knots, Jim, we're just smart enough to have found easier ways is all. Why tie a knot when you don't have to?

BF

Hammock
    DIY-Darian UL-like
    Tarp
    z-Packs cuben
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Straps
    Images
    Thanks for the welcome. I am a sprawler as far as sleeping. I generally just lay on my big agnes and toss and turn under my unzipped leeping bag used as a quilt. I am in pain just imagining having to sleep in one position all night.

I was on a trip to Whatum Lake (north of Mt Hood, with a bunch from the TLZ forum, and Bigfoot2. I had my tent up in 5 minutes, but the Douglas fir up there are 3-4 feet in diameter and 15-20 feet apart. It took the other guys, all hammockers up to an hour to find two tres that their suspensions would work on. Later I tripped on a line from one of the hammocks so we moved my tent. Popped out the stakes, two of us picked it up and moved it, put in the stakes - about two minutes to move the tent.

However football sized volcanic bombs do not make a soft bed. I will use a retired kermantle 11mm climbing rope.
    Jim S
    I had a similar experience to yours last summer in Colorado only in reverse. We got to the area we wanted to camp and I had my hammock up in about 5 minutes. The flat tent sites were few and far between and it took the other guys, all tenters, another hour to find a decent spot and get set up. As it was, I easily moved my hammock over a log later so one of my friends could use the area under my hammock as it was flatter and it didn't matter to me.

You bring up a good point though. There are many places that a tent is easier to pitch than a hammock. Obviously you need some trees for the hammock and they need to be spaced appropriately. Of course in the forested areas of Oregon there are probably a lot more place to put a hammock than a tent. The unique thing about a hammock is that you can set up on a 30 or 40 degree slope and do just fine. You can hang over a log or boulders, brush, and lava. You can even set up over swampy muddy areas with out too much of a problem.

Sounds like your tent is quick to set up and trivial to move. Of course there are plenty of tents that seem to take their owners a hour to put up and take down. Some hammock suspensions take a while to tweak and others you can slap up and get your hammock hung in in a couple minutes.

We tend to be a little gung-ho about hammocks here, but for many applications a tent might be better ( no trees comes to mind ). Sounds like you will have the options for both and that gives you the best of all possible worlds.
    -SlowBro
    "Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."-Theodore Roosevelt

Hammock
    Castaway
    Tarp
    Equinox sil tarp
    Insulation
    down sleeping bags
    Suspension
    rigid SLS + whoopy
    Slobro now you've got me ta thinkin - a dangerous thing. My sil tent weighs 16 ounces with stakes. and its 8 feet long. I wonder if I could tie off the ends and hang it as a hammock? Carrying the tent. a suspension and a spare tarp would put it at a hare over 3 pounds, but would be very versatile. Would still need some mosquito net for the hammock version, I suppose it could be permanently attached to the top of the tent as it would only be a few ounces.
    Jim S

Hammock
    DIY-Darian UL-like
    Tarp
    z-Packs cuben
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Straps
    Images

GrandTrunk All Terrain Hybrid????

Slobro now you've got me ta thinkin - a dangerous thing. My sil tent weighs 16 ounces with stakes. and its 8 feet long. I wonder if I could tie off the ends and hang it as a hammock? Carrying the tent. a suspension and a spare tarp would put it at a hare over 3 pounds, but would be very versatile. Would still need some mosquito net for the hammock version, I suppose it could be permanently attached to the top of the tent as it would only be a few ounces.
    Jim S
    I've considered such a thing myself. I don't know how tall you are but you will want the hammock to be at least 2 to three feet longer than you are tall. Usual width is around 60 inches for most gathered end hammocks. The main problem you will have is with moisture. Most hammocks are made with breathable fabric. A sil tent won't breath. Water proof hammocks tend to become bathtubs of sweat in the summer or in humid conditions. They apparently can work ok in cold weather as kind of a vapor barrier system, or so I understand. Still it would be pretty cool to have a tent/hammock set up. ( Actually I understand that THIS hammock does something like that.)

I wonder if anyone on this forum has experience with The GrandTrunk All Terrain Hybrid Shelter?
    -SlowBro
    "Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."-Theodore Roosevelt

Banned
    Hammock
    Nylon between two trees.
    Tarp
    Simply Light
    Insulation
    enLIGHTened Eqmt.
    Suspension
    Made Some Whoopie!
    Quote Originally Posted by SlowBro View Post
    I've considered such a thing myself. I don't know how tall you are but you will want the hammock to be at least 2 to three feet longer than you are tall. Usual width is around 60 inches for most gathered end hammocks. The main problem you will have is with moisture. Most hammocks are made with breathable fabric. A sil tent won't breath. Water proof hammocks tend to become bathtubs of sweat in the summer or in humid conditions. They apparently can work ok in cold weather as kind of a vapor barrier system, or so I understand. Still it would be pretty cool to have a tent/hammock set up. ( Actually I understand that THIS hammock does something like that.)

I wonder if anyone on this forum has experience with The GrandTrunk All Terrain Hybrid Shelter?
    Good points. I would add that sil-nylon might not be strong enough or durable enough to suspend a persons weight. I could be way off, but i don't think so.

BF

Hammock
    Castaway
    Tarp
    Equinox sil tarp
    Insulation
    down sleeping bags
    Suspension
    rigid SLS + whoopy

Smile

I hung the tent as a hammock but as Slowbro suggested, its too short. I think having a nylon tarp might work well if its long enough. You could simply tie the ends to make a hammock, or set it up as a tarp. Surely a tarp would have enough material to be able to pull some of it over you as a rain cover.

Well I'm going Backpacking with Bigfoot today and I'm carrying three hammocks. Guess I'll learn something tonight. I will pitch the hammock(s) under a tarp so I can sleep on the ground under the tarp If I get too cold in the hammock or simply can't stand it. Like I say, I sprawl when I sleep.

I have a huge winter bag designed for a 6'6" 280 pound line backer and I have two pieces of 1/8" diameter elastic line sewn inside it to keep the bag snugged against me, which made it much warmer, but still I can really stretch out in it if I want to.

It was 16 degrees here on the right side of the cascades last night, colder than the 30 degrees forecasted. I'm a bit worried about the cold on the left side but I'm taking a 30 year old TNF blue Kazoo that hasn't been used in 20 years. Just experimenting tonight.

Jim S

Hammock
    Castaway
    Tarp
    Equinox sil tarp
    Insulation
    down sleeping bags
    Suspension
    rigid SLS + whoopy
    I suppose when I introduced myself I should have sad that I like to generate lively debate, but intend to offend no one. I think we all need to re-look at our ideas and beliefs now and then. I am quite often wrong and misguided, I figure that out through lively communication.
    Jim S

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY DWR nylon
    Insulation
    DIY pad
    Suspension
    Depends
    Naaah. If you think you are right, and want to push your opinion, I am all for it. I can take being offended and still shake hands over a beer. People can be too touchy when it comes to cherished beliefs. I don't bring my feeling ( I just got the one hey) to any forum. Its the intardweb, I like the info, and I like to play. Nice to meet you jim, I hope you make just what you want. Definitly lots of info and opinions here, from what I can see.
    An emergency of my own making...is still an emergency.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12