Castaway
    Tarp
    Equinox sil tarp
    Insulation
    down sleeping bags
    Suspension
    rigid SLS + whoopy

Hi from Jim S oregon

I've always camped above tree line in the Sierras and used tents. Now I live in Sisters Oregon and find that not only are there a billion pine trees - like everywhere, but the "ground" between them is often composed of recent lava flow. There simply are few tent spots, so I am going to try to camp in the trees. I would much prefer to sleep in my tent, but it isn't an option.
    Jim S

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Welcome, once you give hanging a try you may decide you like it better. Just saying.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    DIY-Darian UL-like
    Tarp
    z-Packs cuben
    Insulation
    WB Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim S View Post
    I've always camped above tree line in the Sierras and used tents. Now I live in Sisters Oregon and find that not only are there a billion pine trees - like everywhere, but the "ground" between them is often composed of recent lava flow. There simply are few tent spots, so I am going to try to camp in the trees. I would much prefer to sleep in my tent, but it isn't an option.
    Jim S
    Jim S,
    Sisters- Great location. I was out in Eugene for about 9 months last year. Did a few dozen trips up around your neck of the woods. The Hammock was the way to go. Tent sites are hard to come by especially compared to Hammock sites. On the West side of the Cascades you have the lava flow rocks and on the East side the ferns and dense understory. Very different from the Sierras. One of my problems was taking webbing long enough to wrap around the trees up there. Anyway, welcome to HF and hope you find what you need here.
    -SlowBro
    "Do what you can, with what you have, where you are."-Theodore Roosevelt

Hammock
    Castaway
    Tarp
    Equinox sil tarp
    Insulation
    down sleeping bags
    Suspension
    rigid SLS + whoopy

Hi from Jim S Oregon

Thanks for the welcome. I am a sprawler as far as sleeping. I generally just lay on my big agnes and toss and turn under my unzipped leeping bag used as a quilt. I am in pain just imagining having to sleep in one position all night.

I was on a trip to Whatum Lake (north of Mt Hood, with a bunch from the TLZ forum, and Bigfoot2. I had my tent up in 5 minutes, but the Douglas fir up there are 3-4 feet in diameter and 15-20 feet apart. It took the other guys, all hammockers up to an hour to find two tres that their suspensions would work on. Later I tripped on a line from one of the hammocks so we moved my tent. Popped out the stakes, two of us picked it up and moved it, put in the stakes - about two minutes to move the tent.

However football sized volcanic bombs do not make a soft bed. I will use a retired kermantle 11mm climbing rope.
    Jim S

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Welcome to the forum. 11mm climbing rope, for what??
    If your thinking of using it for hanging the hammock its too heavy and stretches too much or am i missing something. Most folks here have found the switch to hammocks a good adventure.
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    WARBONNET BLACKBIRD
    Tarp
    wallyworld blue
    Insulation
    YETI
    Suspension
    straps and rings
    Images
    jim I carry 15 fot long straps on my hammock just for that reason. as far as having to stay still all night, Iwas the same way sleeping on the ground,in the hammock, I don't need to move to get comfortable even though I can if I want to. welcome to the forums
    I've always been crazy, but it's kept me from going insane. - Waylon Jennings

Banned
    Hammock
    Nylon between two trees.
    Tarp
    Simply Light
    Insulation
    enLIGHTened Eqmt.
    Suspension
    Made Some Whoopie!

About Time, Jim!

About time you showed up here, Jim! Welcome to the "dark side"

Looks like hammocks are growing on you, so here's a Darkness video to welcome you to the fold:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-MtY...eature=related

BF

Hammock
    Castaway
    Tarp
    Equinox sil tarp
    Insulation
    down sleeping bags
    Suspension
    rigid SLS + whoopy
    Yer pretty weird BF, maybe that's why we get along.

Anyway I was watching some of the informational videos on this group, specifically about hanging hammocks and suspensions. It amazes me the extent that people will go to avoid learning to tie knots. I guess its the boy scout/sailor in me that's offended. People are so bad at knots they mass produce shoes with no laces to tie.
    Anyway I guess my 11mm rope is too heavy. Instead I dragged out two spectra double length climbing slings, two BD wired biners and two 15 foot pieces of flat .5" nylon tubing. With a hammock what 8 feet long? including knots, I can hang between two 2foot diameter trees 30 feet apart. That ought to work in our forests. It 18 ounces of cordage and biners but it was free and it won't break, I could hang my Fourunner with it.

So how can I rig a heater for my hammock?
    Would an electric blaket work under me?
    How about warming rocks in the campfire, then later pitching the hammock over it.
    Newb questions doncha know...
    Jim S

Hammock
    my DIY hammock
    Tarp
    my DIY tarp
    I would much prefer to sleep in my tent, but it isn't an option.
    Jim S
    Don't say that too loud around here! Welcome to the forum. I think with a little bit of research and looking around you'll be able to find a hammock that will let you "sprawl" and not feel confined. I toss and turn in my hammock a lot and only occasionally have got that "I'm about to be on the ground" feeling. I also think that it is actually a lot harder to fall out of my hammock than my mind tells me--but that's probably because I was conditioned as a kid on those net, spreader bar hammocks that look for the first opportunity to abruptly hurl you to the ground.

Hammock
    Warbonet Traveler
    Tarp
    Golite 8x10
    Insulation
    KAQ "Lost River"
    Suspension
    Warbonet Straps
    Images

Hey Jim S

Jim S
    Hey Jim S, love that area, the Sisters, Mt bachelor, Bend...man that whole place is surrounded by parks. Why does my wife want to live in ATL???? I have some family in Lebanon, OR. Anyways, Don't think you can go wrong with trying the hanging thing. The big reason I like it so much is you don't have to look for a flat spot or even a campsite.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast