Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

Zing It/Lash-It Group buy - results

Hey All

Someone posted a suggestion on the Zing-It/Lash-It group buy, that people should posts pictures of their creations with it. In that light here is what I got.

1) Opie style tarp Ridge line with toggles (dowels in this case) 24' long with 2 inch loop and 4" bury, 3 prussics 2 with dowel toggles. Weight 25 grams

2) 8 Opie style tarp guy out lines with prussics for adjustment. 8' long with 2" loop and 4" bury and the prussic. Weight 7 grams each

Observations.
    1) Zing-It with tangle into a pile of spaghetti if you have a lot of it to work with.
    2) Splicing prussic loops gets to be a pain in the fingers after about the 4th one.
    3)A 24' tarp ridge line is getting a little on the short side. My first pair of test trees were too far apart by 1 foot.

For the picture crowd and naysayers..

Cheers

Brian
    Last edited by BrianWillan; 03-10-2010 at 18:53.

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    I'm a yaysayer. Thanks for posting

What size dowel did you use?
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Thanks for sharing!

So now the stupid questions:

What are the best practices for keeping the line from being a tangled mess?
    (Pockets on the tarp?)

Are the prussic's holding, or do you find them to be too slippery?

I plan on having lines permanently mounted to my tarp tie-outs... Since the lash-it/Zing-it is slippery, would it make sense to splice in eyes permanently mounted to the tarp? (It could be done in a couple of hours in front of the TV...) or do your knots hold well?

How about micro-whoopie slings? I've spliced together braided mason line whoopie slings just to prove it works...

Thanks!

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Brian.. Thanks for starting this. Im interested to see what others are doing with the line.

John.. I use the figure 8 method when wrapping TRL's and the Guy Lines. Leave the tail long and use the tail to wrap a couple times around the bundle and cinch it off.

A 3 wrap prusik will slip at around 30 pounds measured on my Rapala Digital fish scale. 4 wraps gets you to 43 IIRC.

My Adjustable Structural Ridgeline is basically a long whoopie sling.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    HG Palace
    Insulation
    Burrow 20/Lynx
    Suspension
    Spider/Poly straps
    So far I've made three ridgelines (a couple with buried eyes on both ends and one with a buried backsplice on one end) and a bunch of toggled prussic loops. The toggles were made from a heavy duty plastic clothes hanger I got from the Dollar Store. They came three to a pack for $1.00. Cut 14 toggles out of one hanger and put the other two in the closet.

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Knotty View Post
    I'm a yaysayer. Thanks for posting

What size dowel did you use?
    I believe the dowel was 5/16" in diameter and the drilled holes are 1/8". The 2 dowel toggles on the prussics are 1.5" long and the 2 others are 2" long.

Observant people may notice that my grey prussic loops aren't spliced and the guy out lines aren't back spliced either. This was done by design (well, I didn't have a splicing tool small enough for the 1.75mm line) as I expect the wood dowels to break, rot, disintegrate over time. So this way I can replace them without having to make new continuous loops. For the tarp guy outs, I also didn't backsplice as my tarp is a coated polyester and at some point I will need to do some type of self tensioning line.

Cheers

Brian
    Last edited by BrianWillan; 03-10-2010 at 18:58.

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnSawyer View Post
    Thanks for sharing!

I plan on having lines permanently mounted to my tarp tie-outs... Since the lash-it/Zing-it is slippery, would it make sense to splice in eyes permanently mounted to the tarp? (It could be done in a couple of hours in front of the TV...) or do your knots hold well?
    The yellow line in the pictures is 2.2mm and the grey line for the 3 prussics is 1.75 mm. Those prussics hold quite well. It was windy where I set the tarp up and took the pictures. The guy lines with the prussic both from the 2.2 stuff do hold rather well. This is the first use of these lines and I didn't find them to be slippery at all. This may change over time. In fact I found that they almost held too well. I had to put some effort into adjusting the length of guy out lines.

Cheers

Brian

Hammock
    Hennessy Hammock
    Tarp
    BearPawTent
    Insulation
    SS Winternest
    Images
    uber cool, man do i have a lot to learn

Hammock
    HH ULBA
    Tarp
    OES MC D
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I made a 20' ridgeline and also found that to be short. Poor me, oh what could I do? Duh! Splice in some more line! Problem fixed.
    You can get much farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone. -- Al Capone

Hammock
    HH ULBA
    Tarp
    OES MC D
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnSawyer View Post
    Thanks for sharing!

What are the best practices for keeping the line from being a tangled mess?
    (Pockets on the tarp?)

How about micro-whoopie slings? I've spliced together braided mason line whoopie slings just to prove it works...

Thanks!
    I'm using 1.75 mm on 1.75 mm for my prusiks and had issues at first with slipping, but found that using at least 4 wraps and making sure your knots are very neat tight and properly made makes all the difference.

If you get your prusiks working well, you'll find that the only way to permanently attach both of your tarp d-rings to the ridgeline prusik loops is to splice your continuous loops around the d-rings. You only have to do it on one side though. You can larkshead the other side. Just make sure you do the larkshead first or you'll be splicing both regardless. Or use minibiners.

As far as whoopie slings go, I'd be nervous about breakage. I'm only 130lbs (digestive disease=skinny little fart forever), and I know the 1.75 is good up to 400lbs(I think). But, I remember reading that the forces on some parts of the suspension can be way higher than the actual user weight. I could be wrong, just being safe. If someone knows better, then I might make some for a buddy.
    You can get much farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone. -- Al Capone

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast