Parrot Bay Key Largo
    Tarp
    a cheap one
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bag & UQ
    Suspension
    Cords

Pad Inside Sleeping Bag?

I'm sitting here playing with my sleeping bag and a sleeping pad as I wait for my first hammock to arrive. I've put the sleeping pad inside the sleeping bag and as long as I don't try to lie on my face, the pad behaves itself and stays in place. The pad nicely curls up in the foot end of my mummy bag, but lays pretty flat around my shoulders (now I see the need for an SPE or something similar). Has anyone ever tried this before? Just curious.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    I find the use of a closed up sleeping bag in a hammock to be awkward at best. I use a sleeping bag but open it up like a quilt. That would somewhat negate the idea of putting the pad inside the bag. It has been discussed before and I am sure some folks like the idea and use it regularly.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    WB SF
    Insulation
    inner fortitude
    Suspension
    cinch & straps
    I use one in between the layers of my goretex bivy and my sleeping bag. It seems to work real well, of course I don`t have any quilts to compare it to. I can tell you that the pad does not move around at all configured like this and I don`t get cold.

Hammock
    Clark Jungle Hammock Tropical
    Tarp
    Clark stock tarp
    Insulation
    15* bag and a pad
    I sleep with the pad inside the bag, and it keeps me pretty warm. Outside the bag works well to but I figured that because the job of a sleeping pad is to trap and circulate heat, it seemed to make sense that if it were to go inside of the sleeping bag, the bag, with my body heat and the pad should be extra warm.

Phew, Hope that helps
    My Clark Jungle hammock Video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuO6CYxb9q4

Hammock
    Mayan, Blackbird
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Downmat
    Big Agnes Sleeping bags have that pad pocket, and I just stick my downmat in there. Works great. Basically what you are doing now. Cannot sprawl out, (like always in a bag) but very warm.

Did not work with the Hennessy's stupid trap door though .

Hammock
    my DIY hammock
    Tarp
    my DIY tarp
    I have slept with it outside the sleeping bag and with it inside the sleeping bag. Personally, I like it outside the sleeping bag better that inside.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    One thing a pad inside a bag can do is hold your sleeping bag open wider, which creates an air pocket between your body and your sleeping bag down the sides. Air pockets can make you colder.

Since the hammock hugs your body, this probably won't be a problem at your torso...possibly along your legs, though.

It may still work for you...just something to watch out for.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    HH Expedition,HH Scout ,DIY rigs
    Tarp
    Chinnock Tarps
    Insulation
    Sb & DYI UQ
    All I use is a sleeping bag. I think I have tried every type of pad I can find.
    3 different self inflating brands, The ccf pads blue and green. the egg crete type walmart pad, a neoprene pad, a house hold matress pad, and the HH SS set up(one HH brand SS and one DIY version) Out of nine pads, I have had the best comfort with the fleece throws folded in half and placed inside the sleeping bag. I have been able to do the teens with just the fleece throws and the ECW and been very warm and comfortable.

Two weeks ago, I got one of those grey 30% wool "Diaster Blankets" It works out better than the fleece throws and better than any of the other pads I have. Although our cold temps are quickly leaving until next year, I have been able to catch a few 30* nights. Depending on which hammock and type of material it is made out of,,, just laying it inside the hammock and putting the bag on top works out great.
    Of course this isn't for the Back Packing folks, but car, and canoe, it is perfect for me.
    "Proud Pound Hawg"
    Republic of Texas H.O.G. (Hennessy Owners Group)

Hammock
    3 gathered ends
    Tarp
    JRB Hex
    Insulation
    Jacks R Better
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images

The pad's inside

I have put my Big Agnes Insulated Air Core inside of my bag when its cold out.
    I usually sleep face down or on my side so the air core really helps for comfort. My body heats up the air in the pad and decreases the air inside the sleeping bag (I'm not a big guy).
    It takes up a lot less room in your pack than closed cells.
    And if you have to go to the ground or cement floor in the shelter its a lot more comfortable than a closed cell pad.
    This is far better than a closed cell pad, but it isn't for everybody.
    "Courage Grows Strong at a Wound" - Stewart Clan Motto

I have a Big Agnes bag and insulated pad. Unlike the poster above me, I've not been able to work the insulated pad well in my hammock. The pad moves too much, even when inside the sleeve of my bag. I frequently find that I am no longer on top of the pad and things get uncomfortable and cold.

I bought an Exped Down mat 9 which is wider and thicker than the Big Agnes pad, and I was hoping it would work well. But for me, it did not. It too moved about under my weight and also made the hammock less comfortable.

Now I simply use two CCF pads in my hammock. One is cut to shape and length of my Big Agnes bag (20x72), and the other is cut about 40x60 and serves to insulate my sides. The 40x60 goes into hammock first, then my bag with pad on top. It is similar to the segmented pad extender, but without attaching the pads. This combination has been used in 20sF successfully. I've not had a chance to try it in colder weather. I like this combination because it is very simple and works (for me).

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast