Hello from New Zealand!!

Hello everyone!
    My Name is Zac and I'm from the land down under, New Zealand (Which is not part of Australia, although we are very close!)

I've recently been getting very excited about Hammock camping and have been researching as much as I can in almost ALL of my free time this past week. I am still a complete noob..
    I enjoy hunting and camping and will often go on hunting trips where I have to stay in the bush. The last time I went out I made a bivy on the ground but it was really uncomfortable as sleeping on the ground usually is and it's also quite hard to find flat spots as I go hunting in the mountains.

So I'm currently trying to get ideas for building my very first hammock and to be honest I'm getting very overwhelmed by all the options! You guys are incredibly creative!

I guess the first thing I need to do is find a suitable material both for the hammock and also for the fly. I've looked at a few stores here in NZ but ripstop nylon is quite expensive. I've been trying to source materil from overseas but am having a hard time trying to find a supplier with cheap material. Any suggestions??

Thanks!!
    Zac

Hammock
    Blackbird - Dbl. 1.1
    Tarp
    OES Spinn Deluxe
    Insulation
    REI Lite-Core 1.0
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopies
    Images
    While it says "Senior Member" under my name, I still consider myself somewhat of a noob; as opposed to some of the members here. But I did have to say that I am SOOOOOOOOOOOOO jealous of you for living in New Zealand. I know it's at the top of my life list for countries to hike. Lucky!

Sorry I couldn't be more help, but I'm not a DIY. At least not yet, but I know there are several people here who can guide you towards a supplier. If materials are still too expensive, you may try purchasing a completed hammock from a supplier. Might I suggest, oh I don't know.... a Warbonnet Blackbird. Good luck
    Those who expect disappointment are never disappointed.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    What did you use for a tarp when you slept on the ground? Maybe you can make the same thing work over a hammock. I suggest taking things one at a time. First, make a hammock, using Ed Speer's design or Risk's Z-hammock. I assume you've found Just Jeff's "tothewoods.net". For fabric, use something cheap from a local store; get 4 yards. If you don't have a tarp you can use or modify, use a piece of plastic. The next step will be obvious to you once you've tried the above. Come back to hammockforums to ask questions and/or report progress. Welcome!

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    A Whoooo Buddy Welcome Prestidge.
    I have been to Wellington and had some terrific times there.
    I have a video series on hammocks that may give you some ideas and such.
    Here: Hammock How-To for Noobs
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Thanks for the welcome! Yea we have a beautiful country here, you certainly dont grow tired of the awesome sights!

Thanks Shug, I've actually just finished watching the first ones on the actual hammock, I havnt watched the tarp ones yet but they are super helpful so far!

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Prestidge View Post
    Thanks for the welcome! Yea we have a beautiful country here, you certainly dont grow tired of the awesome sights!

Thanks Shug, I've actually just finished watching the first ones on the actual hammock, I havnt watched the tarp ones yet but they are super helpful so far!
    I made that hammock from JustJeff's instructions .... and it was on from there!!!
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Traveler with HNO AirShip
    Tarp
    HNO AirShip
    Insulation
    Leiglo 5/50
    Suspension
    Everything Dutch
    Images
    Fair dinkum to ya....i've tromped a bit on the s.island--wonderful land you've got there...even paddled abit at abel tasman...never did see your famous possum but did see a kiwi....now let me got off here zip off the whicket

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Welcome to the forum. As others have said, Jeff's site "to the woods" and shugs video's is a good start
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    Prestidge, Welcome to the best little forum on the web. Wish I were there.
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Prestidge View Post
    Hello everyone!
    My Name is Zac and I'm from the land down under, New Zealand (Which is not part of Australia, although we are very close!)

I've recently been getting very excited about Hammock camping and have been researching as much as I can in almost ALL of my free time this past week. I am still a complete noob..

Zac
    Hey Zac

Welcome to hammockforums.net. I have relatives on my mother's side that live in Auckland and Wellington. New Zealand is on my list of countries to visit sooner before later. The country is beautiful down there.

As for your hammock material sourcing. I would check to see what types of hammocks are commercially available at your local outdoor gear shop. I no the lure of DIY is strong, but sometimes it is cheaper to buy a ready made quality product than produce it yourself. Just ask anyone who's wanted to buy SpinnUL fabric to make a tarp. The cost of the material alone is only a few dollars cheaper than it is to buy a ready made tarp from the same material.

I am sure that you can find a silnylon tarp that will work for any hammock locally. I speak from experience, importing products to your own country gets to be expensive in a hurry with taxes, brokerage charges and duties.

Have fun

Brian

• + New Posts