Smile What types of asymmetry have you tried??

Hey there,

This is my first time posting here, despite being an avid hammock user for the past couple years. I have two commercially made hammocks, a Myan-style string hammock I found a the county fair 13 years ago, and a $20 simple rectangular hammock I found at an outdoor retailer. I have made a few of my own, which were simple, rectangular, with either knotted or hemmed ends with cord through the hems for attachment. I made my first "asym" a few months ago, but I wasn't thrilled with the final product.

While I've spent a good number of nights and lazy afternoons at work when nobody was around in my simple hammocks, and never felt uncomfortable- but still I have always wanted to try to make an asymmetrical version to improve comfort a tad.

Culling through this website there is a plethora of information, and some very knowledgeable people here too, so I thought we could all contribute to a brief summary of what we have tried in making asyms, and how what we have tried turned out.

The Hennessy patent lists three types of asymmetry:
    1. A shorter end

2. A shorter side

3. A varying center of folding on either or both ends.

I have never seen or been in a Hennessy hammock, but the patent claims the combination of all three of these asymmetries to be ideal for achieving comfort. Two other concepts used (which I have tried and haven't found added much on there own) are to make the ends either convex or concave to achieve either more or less sag in the middle of the hammock.

So,... What has everyone tried, in what combinations, and to what end????

Thanks so much for contributing!

Dave

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Welcome to the site. I recently made a homemade Speer style hammock. I made it with directions from here:www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeHammock.html
    I used the standard whipping method. I own 2 Hennessy hammocks and this one is more comfortable than either. Most here like their homemade ones better than their Hennessys. The Hennessy is a very comfortable hammock.
    Last edited by FanaticFringer; 07-23-2007 at 15:09.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    The reason for an asymmetrical hammock is to get as far on the diagonal as possible. The further you lay on the diagonal in a regular hammock, the flatter you lay. It seems that a lot ( most ? ) people prefer to lay flat.

So, if you are thinking of making an asymmetrical hammock, I would suggest you make the Bridge Hammock instead. In the Bridge Hammock you are laying totally on the diagonal and as flat or banana shape as you want (yes - some people like the banana shape, I prefer flat - each to her/his own).

The Bridge Hammock requires more sewing skills than a regular hammock, but the skills needed are not extensive and can be mastered easily. If you sewed the hems on your regular hammock, you can easily master the extra sewing skills for a Bridge Hammock.

The planes for making a Bridge Hammock are here. There is a "pdf" that you can download from the site also.

There is a thread on the Bridge Hammock here. The discussion is lively and the development is ongoing. But you can use the plans on the above site to get a fully functional Bridge Hammock.

Once you have used the Bridge Hammock and laid really flat in a hammock (if that is your preference), a regular hammock will never be as comfortable as it was.

The Bridge Hammock is the most adjustable hammock bar none. Not only is the sag is adjustable (head and foot independently), but how flat you lay is adjustable.

The Bridge Hammock has the added beauty and attraction at this point that there is a lot of development and creativity that can be done. If you like to create something, you will love the Bridge Hammock.

Grizz has just invented the Laz-y-Boy accessory for the Hammock, Scott has invented a movable and removable double bottom. Creating for the Hammock is fun. We are all working on the ultimate bug netting for the Bride Hammock.

Junp in and join the fun and make yourself a great hammock in the process.

I'm not selling you anything - honest

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Wonder how the JRB Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock is coming along?
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

• + New Posts