Thread: HH

HH

Hey, I was really considering getting a HH for a planned thru-hike. But when i am not using it for that i probably wont need the bug net and everything else. what does everyone do when they don't want the bug net. Thanks.

Hammock
    ENO/tablecloth
    Tarp
    wb superfly
    Insulation
    yeti,peapod(1st v
    Suspension
    whoopies treestrap
    well the hh has the bug net attached permanately(you can modify it if u can sew) or go for a top loader hammock w/removable bug net! hopr this helps!
    Peanuts

"A womans place is on the trail"

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    You can fold the bottom part in half and still lay on the 'outside' of the bugnet on a HH, but it isn't as comfortable. If you get a HH, I'd say either get used to using the bugnet all the time, or else look into another type of hammock. Perhaps a Speer, which has a removable bugnet.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Hi and welcome. If you want to get the Hennessy, you could take the bugnet off and put a zipper around it. Would be kind of a pain. There is a thread here about how to do it. It would be much simpler to just get the Speer hammock with a removable bugnet. The tarp that comes with the Speer hammock is much bigger than the stock Hennessy tarp and will offer you much more coverage. You'll see that most of us here like bigger tarps. The new Speer tarp looks really nice.
    You could also either make a hammock which many here swear are the most comfy hammocks they have laid in or buy another hammock without the bugnet such as an ENO hammock. You could then make yourself or have someone make you a bug bivy: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ighlight=bivvy
    Here's a pic of a bug bivy I made yesterday:http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...r&imageuser=45
    Last edited by FanaticFringer; 07-23-2007 at 15:39.
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Thanks for the input. I really like the complete package of the HH, and the weight is very low. If i also got a EN to just use around car camping and whatnot, could i use the same straps to attach it to the trees?

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    If you can sew or know somebody who will do it for you, removing the bug net and replacing with a removable bug net using either Velcro or a zipper isn't too hard. It can be a bit of a pain getting the right fit, but you can use the removed bug net to get the shape and then allow an inch or so beyond what you removed for attachment to the hammock body.

Once the bug net is removed you can use the HH as a top loader with the net removed or bottom loader with the net installed. Best of both types. The beauty of the HH bottom loading is that you don't have to bother with opening/closing the bug netting to enter/exit the hammock. Just so much easier IMO.

If you go with a Speer or one of the others with a bug net, you have strictly a top loader and have to open/close the bug netting every time you enter/exit. Of course with the removable bug netting on the HH, you can do that too if you are so inclined.

Hammock
    JRB Bear Mtn. Bridge
    Tarp
    BlackCat/JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    Pad(s)/JRB Quilts
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by xunitedbychristx View Post
    Thanks for the input. I really like the complete package of the HH, and the weight is very low. If i also got a EN to just use around car camping and whatnot, could i use the same straps to attach it to the trees?
    You could use the straps(tree huggers) on a ENO hammock but why on earth would you wanna do that.
    If you have a couple of days of free time, you might want to check out this thread. Caution, the following thread makes hammock camping much more enjoyable:http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...hlight=buckles
    "Every day above ground is a good day"

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    If you factor out the tarps, the HHs and Speers are about the same. And since most folks here upgrade the HH tarp, there really isn't a weight advantage over a Speer.

Then if you remove the Speer bug net, it's probably lighter than the HH (I don't have the numbers in front of me but I'm sure someone here does).
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

• + New Posts