diy gathered end
    Tarp
    diy, syl nylon
    Insulation
    PLUQ&TQ IXUQ&TQ
    Suspension
    1" plypro web & ws

first diy hammock question

I bought some material at walmart to make a 2 layer hammock. It is 1.1 nylon and 1.9 polyester. My question is, does it make a difference which material is inside? My guess is to put the heavier poly on the out side and line it with the thinner nylon. The second layer is a little for strength and to hold a pad.
    My plan is to roll hem them on all sides then sew them together on both ends and one side. I will sew them together about 8 inches each end of the fourth side leaving the rest open to slide the pad in. I will sew a one inch hem on each end for the climbing cord with d rings to gather it. Is it stronger to put the cord through the channel then roll it down and tie it again and then girth hitch a loop of cord with the rings attached or to just pass the loop through the channel and then the rings through the loop on the other end? I hope that is understandable.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    IMHO strength will be irrelevant on which fabric is inside. personally, I'd go with whatever feels better...

Most folks whip the ends of the hammocks. There are two sites that cover that in basic detail, and dozens of threads here that go over the relative merits of the various methods.

http://www.imrisk.com -- Look for the zhammock instructions
    http://www.tothewoods.net -- click on make your own gear (if I recall).

On the sewing: Risk's site shows instructions for a double layer where you sew the edge together in the middle to help avoid ejecting your pad as you wiggle... I don't use a pad, so I don't know the relative benefits.

Best of luck! Be careful, though... once you finish your first DIY project, you'll be addicted...

John

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    This instructional might help. http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=15205
    I find this method of whipping to be easy and secure. Plus it makes the hammock lay like a Warbonnet, which many on this forum claim to be the most comfortable hammocks.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    DIY 11' double layer 1.1
    Tarp
    huge DIY camo
    Insulation
    DIY 9oz. Primaloft
    Suspension
    7/64"whoopie sling
    Regarding the pad slot, I make mine with a 30" slot (for my 24" pad) halfway from each end on the left side so I can reach in as I'm laying there to adjust the pad. Works for me. :-|

Acer
    It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Formerly known as Acercanto, my trail name is MacGuyver to some, and Pucker Factor to others.

It's not procrastinating, its proactively delaying the implementation of the energy-intensive phase of the project until the enthusiasm factor is at its maximum effectiveness. - Randy Glasbergen

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB
    Tarp
    GG, DIY
    Insulation
    CCF + 40* mummy
    Suspension
    Amsteel UCR
    Images
    I just did the same thing with my DIY hammock.

Instead of rolled hemming, I just sewed them together, then turned it inside out (like risk's zhammock.) Of course I did hem the portion that was not sewed together on the open edge.

The WB whipping like knotty suggests rules (although I did w whip the foot end)

Formerly 'TroutEhCuss'
    Hammock
    12' DIY 1.9 Ripstop Grn/HamMike RL
    Tarp
    12'x11' DIY Navy
    Insulation
    3/4 UQ Crowsnest
    Suspension
    Webbing & Buckle
    Images
    I'd put the ripstop on the outside to help with possible rips from something poking it on the outside. Also, feel of the fabric.

Hammock
    DIY 11' double layer 1.1
    Tarp
    huge DIY camo
    Insulation
    DIY 9oz. Primaloft
    Suspension
    7/64"whoopie sling
    Forgot to say that similar to phatpenguin, I sew the 2 layers together (except for the pad slot), then turn it right side out, and go over the edges again, hemming the pad slot when I get to it. I usually don't even bother finishing the ends, since I whip them with a double sheet bend anyway.
    Now that I think of it, it'd be really easy to insert a fringe layer in between the 2 sides.... Hmmmm. Might have to do that on my next lounger...

Gears 'a turnin',
    Acer
    It's better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Formerly known as Acercanto, my trail name is MacGuyver to some, and Pucker Factor to others.

It's not procrastinating, its proactively delaying the implementation of the energy-intensive phase of the project until the enthusiasm factor is at its maximum effectiveness. - Randy Glasbergen

Hammock
    diy gathered end
    Tarp
    diy, syl nylon
    Insulation
    PLUQ&TQ IXUQ&TQ
    Suspension
    1" plypro web & ws
    Thanks for all the tips especially the sewing together and turning inside out.

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by charley View Post
    Thanks for all the tips especially the sewing together and turning inside out.
    Like making a giant pillow!
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    diy gathered end
    Tarp
    diy, syl nylon
    Insulation
    PLUQ&TQ IXUQ&TQ
    Suspension
    1" plypro web & ws
    I have the hammock finished and hanging in the basement. I have laid in it but not slept. I spent time sewing loops in the end of webbing to use flat webbing to hang it. After hanging in it for awhile Some stiches looked stressed so I took it all off and switched to climbing webbing. Much safer. I folded the hem and then sewed a 2" channel at each end. I put cord through the channels and tied a big knot in the ends. I used a 12 inch sewn climbing runner to girth hitch 2 d rings and then larkspur that to the hammock behind the knots. I use the d rings so the webbing is adjustable and will probably replace those with descending rings. My thermarest fits in the pocket. It feels like the center is tighter than the edges but I don't see how I can change that. Tarp and underquilts later. Projects on hold. I am going to nc. for some needed climbing and hiking.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast