Hello everyone my name is Chad and when on the trail I imagine they will call me Nerdalert (at work, when they see me walking to the water cooler they yell “NERDALERT” and scatter). I’m 34 and work as a Fraud Analyst catching the guys that make counterfeit cards and thief your identity and bank account info. I am also a survivor of a type of Cancer called Follicular Lymphoma with my last radiation treatment at the end of March 2010.

I’ve only been camping a few times in my life, the most recent being a 3 day trip with my daughter to Rock Island off the tip of Door County. I had spent almost $1500 at REI and would up carrying a 45 pound pack. During the trip I enjoyed every minute I was there, except for every minute I happened to have the 45 pounds on my back. When the trip was over I went to eBay and liquidated every heavy item and began building an ultralight setup. I switched an Osprey Aether for a Golite Pinnacle, a REI synthetic 0 degree bag for a Western Mountaineering Summerlite, and a 5 lb Sierra Designs Sirius 2 tent for a Warbonnet Blackbird. My gear setup is far from complete, but is heading in a much better direction.

I look forward to pestering you all with questions, and thank you all ahead of time!

Chad (Nerdalert)