Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wisenber View Post
    Nice job! How's the entry and exit with the tube work for you?
    Works well. The first sock I made the opening was too small and we had to modify it some:

If you notice, the bottom has an open slit. This was originally closed, but it was like squeezing into a sausage tube even without pads or underquilts. I ended up opening it up some. From that lesson learned we modified the bugnet plans to what I just posted.
    NO SNIVELING!
    www.hikinghq.net - Hiking H.Q.
    www.bmtguide.com - the BMT Thru Hiker's Guide

Hammock
    WB Tribe
    Tarp
    OGeeTarp & OES
    Insulation
    PHOENIX/BURROW
    Suspension
    Webbing N Whoopie
    I prefer not to do any sewing DIY projects...just not my bag man...I'll just stick with my WB Traveler Hammock DBL Layer, and always use some sort of UQ and TQ with Headnet in the shoulder seasons, no bugnet at all in the winter, and go with the WB Bugnet when the bugs are in season.
    I agree with Canoebie, when the blood suckers are out to get you, my piece of mind helps to just let me sleep. And like he also said.. I don't even want to talk about Black flys"?!

If you had ever experienced Mossies and Black flys in the North country you wouildn't even consider anything less than full coverage that you know will be there and work, and as far from your face as possible. HYOH/YMMV

In the winter at least you won't have the weight, in the shoulder seasons you won't have weight, and in the bug seasons you probably won't have the weight of all the stuff you need to keep you warm. It is all a trade off when it comes to being a gram weiner.

My advice...save your pennies, and get Brandon, at WB to sell you one of his bugnets. IMHO
    "If'n I'm gonna fall, someone is gonna' watch."
    Sean Emery

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End w DIY Bug Net
    Tarp
    DIY Black Sil
    Insulation
    DIY Insultex
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Barefoot child,

I agree with you about brandons nets. Now, it seems to me like noseeum is insanely expensive. Maybe it's just where I am looking, but it seems like it is cheaper to buy his than make my own. Is that right? Who has the hookup for cheap noseum?

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Speer has noseeum for $4.25/yd,
    OWFINC.COM has it for $3.14/yd, or if you buy enough to get their wholesale break, it's $2.45/yd.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End w DIY Bug Net
    Tarp
    DIY Black Sil
    Insulation
    DIY Insultex
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Ooo.. Wow. Cheap! Thanks!

Hammock
    DIY-Gathered End
    Tarp
    Speer Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    CCF, KAQ 3/4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Lobby View Post
    I really like this design. I'm contemplating making a new hammock & new bugnet, but would like to avoid velcro & zippers altogether.

On the "triangle" portions of ripstop, would it be feasible keep things square and include a drawsting channel on the ends? Any forseeable drawbacks to this approach?[/QUOTE]

I finally got around to this project. Instead of keeping a straight rectangle I cut triangles off of the corners (making a stretched octagon shape) and made a wide enough end hem to use as a channel. When the draw cord is cinched up, it lifts the sides of the bug net to the point where the lowest point may fall above the edges of the hammock, depending on the amount of sag.

So, I scrapped the draw cord idea. I still really like the idea of the pockets (and using gravity to your advantage) and I think it looks good. I wanted it to be Velcro-free, but I do have some leftover Velcro buttons that I may add to the ends just for simplicity.

At about 1 in the morning I was staring at the bug net and staring at a bag of leftover accessories and decided to take some scrap grosgrain ribbon and sew two "tabs" along the centerline of the netting. It's just a simple loop that the ridgeline can run through to keep the bug netting from slipping too much from side-to-side. My ridgeline is removable, so I don't really lose any flexibility and the ribbon really doesn't weigh anything.

Thanks for the design ideas. I took a couple of pictures and will try to load them into my gallery sometime this weekend.
    "He that lives upon hope will die fasting."

- Benjamin Franklin

Hammock
    DIY 1.1 dbl w/DIY Risk style bugnet
    Tarp
    DIY WW camo rect.
    Insulation
    DIY SB UQ/ IX UQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    My bugnet was similar to the "Risk Quarter-weight" design. I bought some bugnet fabric, hemmed two pieces together, as it was too narrow, hung it over my hammock structural-ridgeline and trimmed off all that was hanging below the occupied hammock leaving a small hem allowance. This resulted in a somewhat football shape with square ends. The ends, where the netting met the ridgeline, were left about 16" long to be hemmed as a paracord channel. These are cinced around the suspention when the bugnet is hung on the hammock. At the center of the ridgeline hem a 6" piece of paracord is tack hemmed into the hem. When the bugnet is applied to the hammock this is tied in a simple overhand knot around the ridgeline. This is to anchor the netting so it may be opened up, folded back over the top, when desired. The bottom hem has two 6" x 6" pockets in which to place "found at campsite" weights such as small stones or sticks. I don't have any pics at this time, (pics or it didn't happen) but it has worked so far for me.
    The trees are drawing me near, I've got to find out why?
    Those gentle voices I hear, explain it all with a sigh.
    "Tuesday Afternoon" Moody Blues

Even duct-tape can't fix stupid.

Making it permanent

I like the Ed Lobby design. But since I can't really think of a time when there are not hordes of bugs banging at my door, I think I will attache the ends permanently. If I'm not mistaken, that is how the Clark works. Then they just zipper the bugnet. I think theirs has a "storm shield" as well.
    Anyone how has/had one, confirm and tell us how you liked it?

Hammock
    Switchback/DD Superlight
    Tarp
    BDD/DDH SL
    Insulation
    JRBShen/AHE/DDH UB
    Suspension
    Straps/DC-DDH susp
    I looked at the quarterweight hammock <<Sew two quarters so they are trapped in the hem. One goes about 2 feet from each end. Just slide the quarter in to a place where you sew vertically across the hem, and then once the quarter is in place, sew a second vertical to trap the quarter in place. >>

and thought that maybe sewing magnets instead of quarters would hold the netting together. You could use the round quarter-sized magnets, or the plastic magnet on a roll, or the plastic business card magnet backings (cut to size, if necessary).

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...=&oq=&gs_rfai=

Scroll down and look at the flex magnet tape
    http://www.amazon.com/Extra-Flexible.../dp/B000NNQ1CK

Office Depot has the business card sized sticky-back magnets
    http://www.officedepot.com/a/product...d-Magnets-2-x/

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456