Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Help with tarp please!

I hope this is the right place to put this? If not moderator can you please put this in the correct place, thank you.
    I just got a Speer 8x10 cat cut tarp in brown color my question is those of you who have one how have you hung it with the ridge tie outs. Mine has grommets on the ends that are placed in grosgrain sideways when I hung the tarp in my living room when I hung the tarp with the grommets facing up the tarp hung fine with no problem, but when I placed the grommets on the inside (underside) there was a buckling at the end (see pics below). My question is which way should it be as when the grommets are on top the grosgrain is facing up not down on the side tie outs as well as the sewed on name patch that Ed puts on his tarps is facing in not out. Also when the grommets are up the seam fold is facing out (see pics). Can you please help For those that have this tarp can you post some pics for me as well. Thank you!

CB
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Cranky Bear; 03-13-2010 at 12:19. Reason: Pics

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Cranky Bear

From what I remember on threads on this Speer Tarp, the grommets on the tie outs are meant for the tips of hiking poles when pitching the tarp for ground use. That tarp is meant to be attached through the loop with what ever method you are using to secure your tarp (toggle, carabiner, line, etc.).

Hope that helps.

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by BrianWillan View Post
    Cranky Bear

From what I remember on threads on this Speer Tarp, the grommets on the tie outs are meant for the tips of hiking poles when pitching the tarp for ground use. That tarp is meant to be attached through the loop with what ever method you are using to secure your tarp (toggle, carabiner, line, etc.).

Hope that helps.

Brian
    Ok, so I get the grommets now, but which way should the tarp be oriented, pic 1 or 2, so the tarp ridgeline attaches to the grosgrain loop where the grommet is should it be facing up or down when hung? There is no extra loop there only the one with the grommet in it!

Thanks for the reply!!!!

CB

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Cranky Bear View Post
    Ok, so I get the grommets now, but which way should the tarp be oriented, pic 1 or 2, so the tarp ridgeline attaches to the grosgrain loop where the grommet is should it be facing up or down when hung? There is no extra loop there only the one with the grommet in it!

Thanks for the reply!!!!

CB
    If the grommet only goes through 1 layer of the loop and not both, I would think logic would dictate that the grommet should face the ground.

Cheers

Brian

Quote Originally Posted by BrianWillan View Post
    If the grommet only goes through 1 layer of the loop and not both, I would think logic would dictate that the grommet should face the ground.

Cheers

Brian
    It goes through both as you can see in the first pic. I hung it again last night and even with a tight pull on the tarp there was still a buckling of the pull out when the grommet was placed down, I just want to make sure that I am hanging it right so I don't put any undue stress on the stitching as I began to see that last night as I was pulling the tarp taut.

CB

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    Look at the rolled hems. The top of the tarp will be flat with the rolled hem on bottom.

Hope that helps, It will keep you dry either way

Quote Originally Posted by hangnout View Post
    Look at the rolled hems. The top of the tarp will be flat with the rolled hem on bottom.

Hope that helps, It will keep you dry either way
    Thats what I thought, but if you look at the end tie out (one that goes to the tree) when the rolled hem is on the bottom the grommet is too and when I go to hang it the tarp starts to buckle when tension is put there (it shows this on one of the pics) thats why I'm so confused. I appreciate all the help!!!!!!!!!

CB

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    Yeah, after looking closer at the pics, I am not sure either. I suggest contact Speer if you have not already.

Quote Originally Posted by hangnout View Post
    Yeah, after looking closer at the pics, I am not sure either. I suggest contact Speer if you have not already.
    Thanks! Yea I have sent him an email, PM from here, and called, all with no response as of yet (I'm sure he will get back to me), I was hoping that someone from here that has one would have replied to this with some pics of theirs(close up of the tie outs). I do appreciate you trying to help!

CB

Hammock
    Simply Light Design 10' netless
    Tarp
    WiL Tadpole
    Insulation
    AHE apex quilts
    Suspension
    Muletape
    I hang mine with grommets and rolled seam facing up. Yes the tarp appears upside down but it keeps me dry either way. I just prefer to not have the peak of the tarp twisted on the end.

My Speer 8X10 rectangle kit version has the attachement of the grommet in line with the ridge and not to the side as is on the cat version. It can be set up either way and the pull out is flat.
    http://www.stc-hike.org/ Susquehannock Trail Club web site - PA STS trail info

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast