Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    Quilts & Pad
    Suspension
    Whoppie slings
    Images

A night on the Dosewallips

With our wives off at an event for a couple of days, my hiking buddy and I headed for the hills, on his first night out in a hammock, a WBBB. We found a nice spot on the river and set up camp mid afternoon. There was a trace of snow on the ground and cold rain forecast. We ended up having the whole place to ourselves, likely due to the weather and to a small washout out a mile down the road that would have stopped cars and smaller pickups.

I have modified my BB to use home made woopie slings, using the straps that were on the BB originally as tree huggers. And I had the hammock sock made out of a parachute at the foot ready to deploy. My tarp is a 8x10 and I had outfitted it with a undertarp ridgeline similar to what opie sells. But instead of biners, I was using small metal toggles to attach the tarp to the prussics. I also attached my pack cover underneath the hammock, tying a line to each end of the pack cover with a rock and clove hitch and the other end of each line to the hammock suspension right at the hammock. Adjusted tension on the lines so the the pack cover, when empty, was suspended under the hammock. Once the pack and other stuff that needed to stay outside was added, the packcover was on the ground, but shaped like a bowl to keep it's occupants dry. Because of the breeze blowing down the river, and the forecasted rain, I closed off both ends of the tarp to enclose the hammock as much as possible.

Went to bed about 7 and read for a while. Started raining about 8:30. Got up and marked my territory about 10:30, and listened to it rain for a few more hours. Slept fairly comfortably through the night and got up around 6:30am. Temp was about 30 and the rain had frozen. We ate breakfast, broke camp and then went for a run past the big washout in the road and up a mile or so until the snow got a couple of inches deep and decided we had had enough fun. This morning was beautiful and sunny, and the foothills around us were covered in new fallen snow. What a sight to wake up too.

Lessons learned.
    - Using a three wrap prussic around the tarp ridgeline was not enough; it slipped. Need to wrap another time or two. The tarp was just barely covering the hammock this morning. (Anxiously awaiting for production of the Winter Dream to resume, hint, hint )
    - The bolt toggles attaching the tarp to the ridgeline were unsat, especially while setting up or tearing down. They kept falling out. They will be replaced as soon as my mini s-biners arrive.
    - The inside of the hammock sock was damp this morning. Need to leave it partially open or add vent holes somehow.
    - The pack cover gear locker works great under the hammock.
    - I like the ridgeline attached to the tarp and enclosed in snakeskins when not deployed. Simplifies the deployment. Although when the tarp is iced up. like it was this morning, my fingers were numb by the time it was put away.
    - 14 foot tree huggers and woopies with a 5 foot reach are going to be too short some times. Need to consider packing an extension strap.
    - Elevated sleeping beats tossing and turning on the ground all night hands down.

Earliest in the season I have ever spent a night in the Olympics. All in all a very good trip and will likely be repeated a time or two this spring before the backcountry opens up.

A view upstream from camp

My setup
    Last edited by OldMan; 03-13-2010 at 19:16.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    Sounds like a good trip. Looks allot like the Kootenays right now, fresh snow on the Mnts. and bare ground on the valley bottom.
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Double
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah's 12x12
    Insulation
    Snugpak Underquilt
    Suspension
    GT Trunk Straps
    How far from the little washout was the big one that claimed the whole road?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 double
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    Quilts & Pad
    Suspension
    Whoppie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by theerb View Post
    How far from the little washout was the big one that claimed the whole road?
    It was about a mile or mile and a half between the two. The little washout caught me by surprise. I had not heard about it until we got there. The bigger one happened 6-8 years ago and may become permanent. There were some nice spots at the parking area for the big washout. There is also a large Forest Service campground a mile beyond that that is no longer used much because folks can't drive to it. We ran through it yesterday to check it out. There are some very nice places in there, and it is likely never close to full any more. And 5.5 miles beyond the washout, at the end of the road, is a front country National Park campground with 20 something spots, again hardly used and very nice.

• + New Posts