Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Banned
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shewie View Post
    I've only tinkered with the Snugfit with my BB but I have to say I like the full length and the width allows me to snuggle right down. I do pair it up with a 4 season down bag but I'd agree the official ratings for the Snugfit are very conservative.
    No experience of the others but I'm sure either one will do you right.
    Hey Thanks a bunch Shewie!

What kind of temps are you dealing with??

John

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1SL/UKHamm
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4S/CamoSF
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WhoopieDutchness
    Quote Originally Posted by Redwood Guy View Post
    Hey Thanks a bunch Shewie!

What kind of temps are you dealing with??

John
    The coldest to date was -9c and I was toasty all night long. I think that's about 15 or 16F ?? Either way I'm confident it'll go a lot lower than that. I tend to get cold feet a lot even during day to day winter life, so when I'm hanging I like plenty of warmth down there and the Snugfit gives me that.

Hammock
    WBBB, Switchback 1.9 SL & 1.9 DL
    Tarp
    BDWD, AE Hard Rock
    Insulation
    Incubator, Burrow
    Suspension
    Webbing & Rings
    Here's my Incubator with the Switchback.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    100% Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images

The Incubator

Hello everyone,
    Sorry about the late reply to this thread. I had to step away from the thread injector and internet this weekend or I was going to go insane (ok, for those of you that know me...MORE insane).

All of my quilts use 900fp white Hungarian goose down now. I can also provide documentation to that effect if anyone needs/wants it. I still sell the 800 stuff but use the 900 in my quilts. I know I need to change that on my site.

Also, I am working on a warmer temperature (read: a little lighter) full length quilt. It is pretty much the same dimensions as the Incubator. The only difference is that it will have less down, shorter baffles, and slightly less differential since it is not as thick.

If I missed a question let me know.

~sc
    Owner/Founder at Hammockgear.com - Hammock Camping Outfitters
    Home of the Burrow, the Incubator, and the Phoenix

Quote Originally Posted by Redwood Guy View Post
    Anyway, yeah, would love to see some overstuffed Incubator photographs. Can you confirm if they actually use 900 down and not 800 down, like their website says?

Thanks,
    John
    I have a snug-fit and waiting on a full complement of stromcrows "stuff" so when It shows up I'll be able to give you my opinion and some comparision photos , won't do you much good in the meantime but I will say the snug-fit is nice and when I use it It does feel so nice with either a BB or a HH

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by spotz View Post
    I have a snug-fit and waiting on a full complement of stromcrows "stuff" so when It shows up I'll be able to give you my opinion and some comparision photos , won't do you much good in the meantime but I will say the snug-fit is nice and when I use it It does feel so nice with either a BB or a HH
    Speaking of Snugfit vs other UQs:

I have a JRB MW4, Speer Pea Pod, WB syn torso UQ and HHSS, but no Snugfit. For folks that own a Snugfit plus some other brands of UQ, here is something I have wondered about: The Snugfit advertises "exclusive Curvature-Cut, Radial-Spaced, Differential Baffles".

So, does the SF fit on the leg section any better than the other UQs? In my experience, most full length quilts, when used on a gathered end hammock, tend to fall away from one side of the hammock on the foot end. They tend to gap away to the opposite side from the legs when on the diagonal. This can be corrected for somewhat with certain suspension tricks.

I am just wondering if the SF does any better at this than other UQs, due to it's "
    "exclusive Curvature-Cut", or are they all about the same on the foot end?

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    I cant speak for the Incubator BC I went with the winter ptarmigan UQ by ST and I got down to 7 at the NJ hang. He makes top notch quilts and has top notch customer service. for ST. But yes all hard choices. All quality products by quality people, I guess im just bias Keep asking questions, dont rush it it took me a while but you will find you warm cozy quilt
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    100% Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    I can only speak regarding my quilts so I will. My Full length quilts have radial baffles The shells are cut with differential measurements to allow for different height baffles. The shells are also cut and darted so they better conform to the "bath tub" shape of the hammock.

I have owned a snugfit and it is indeed a fine quilt. I have not had anyone report any gaps in the leg area with my quilt and I do not recall having one when I owned the snugfit. I think the channel style suspension that I use on the Incubator may help keep it pulled up along the sides a little. Along with the channel style suspension I also use a lighter weight shock cord at either end to keep the ends of the Incubator pulled tight and up against the bottom of the user. Hard to get the mental picture I am sure but I will get some pics up ASAP that show what I mean.

~SC
    Owner/Founder at Hammockgear.com - Hammock Camping Outfitters
    Home of the Burrow, the Incubator, and the Phoenix

" The Snugfit advertises "exclusive Curvature-Cut, Radial-Spaced, Differential Baffles" .

I don't even pretend to know what all that means nor did I know it was advertised as such, I am sure the manufacturer can address it better than I can. In my case I added ties around the perimeter of the HH to match the tabs on the universal snug-fit and keep it all in place via the ties opposed to relying on just the shock cord, will do the same for the BB when I find the time. It is the only UQ I have at present so can't compare it it anything else.

Banned
    Images
    @stormcrow, Thank you for taking the time to respond to this message. It is awesome to think/know that the guy behind one of the products I'm looking at getting is on this forum and an active member of such to respond to questions such as these. All to often it seems like the owners would rather not get involved in these "which one is best" type of threads - for all the obvious/known reasons - so, thanks mate! As I posted in my introduction post, the incubator was the uq I had selected from the very beginning, but as others have suggested others I have begun to take a closer look at them. I do have to still say though, from a stats perspective, your seems to have the edge. Thank you for confirming that you are indeed using 900 down. And yeah, you should update your website :-p Now, in regards to this new version you are working on, are you thinking it will be of such difference from your other UQ's to justify pushing out a new product? Seems like your existing UQ product line sort of matches most of the needs of folks... how is this new one going to fit into the mix of things?

In regards to the designs... spotz... dude, I'm with you... seriously, what the heck were those guys thinking about when they spouted out that "exclusive Curvature-Cut, Radial-Spaced, Differential Baffles"... yeah, that's pretty much like saying... well, I'll just stop there and agree with you.

None the less... here is a design question... perhaps directed at stormcrow (??) and the other guys that make these UQ's (if they visit here).

The JRB MW series uses channels that do not go the length of the UQ, instead the go in the direction of the width of the UQ. To me it seems this is a better method, as it keeps each section of down in a closer region... is my logic wrong in this? If not, why do the other two not use this method? That is one of the things that appeals to me about the JRB/MW UQ... the whole idea of the down not getting pushed down channels that go the length of the UQ... just doesn't really seem to apply to the JRB/MW's.

Any feedback from anybody on this issue? Where's the logic in these two different design methods?

Thanks guys!
    John

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast