Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    You've already had feedback from Peter Pan at Jacks-R-Better. All three products have good reputations, and so do all three vendors. Tough choice.

Banned
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    You've already had feedback from Peter Pan at Jacks-R-Better. All three products have good reputations, and so do all three vendors. Tough choice.
    Ah hey, thanks! My newb status should indicate I haven't figured out who-is-who yet

I saw the JRB cards as the avatar for Peter_Pan but he gave no indication that he was JRB... so, just figured he was a die-hard JRB guy.

In that case, allow me to throw his name into the list of guys to thanks for responding as a manufactor who is doing his part to answer questions on these awesome forums!!

Again, thanks for pointing that out WV. Bazillion people and usersname and companies to try to learn... on top of all the lingo... for us guys just starting out.

John

Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    100% Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    The new warmer weather underquilt will probably have another name. I gotta come up with something good... Suggestions welcome..lol. It will probably have 12oz of down (maybe less) and have 1 in baffles. It will be for people that live in warmer areas and/or do not do much winter camping.

Regarding vertical (width) vs longitudinal (length) baffles....There is a fun topic of discussion! Ok, this may or may not be a shared opinion but here is my take on it. I personally like the longitudinal baffles because I feel that if there is any settling during the night...that it can not go far. Meaning, gravity can only pull it down the width of the baffle. There seems to be little chance of the down settling toward the head or foot end of the quilt. I also think that if you have enough down in the quilt there is little chance of it migrating and leaving cold spots.

Now, having said that, I must say that the Jacks make a fine quilt. There are MANY JRB quilts out there that people are using and love. They must be doing something right because this is not their first trip around the block. Heck, they are even in Backpacker magazine! They are indeed good people.

Regarding Ed Speers Snugfit. I am pretty sure (again please correct me if I am wrong) that he was the first one making quilts with radial baffles and differential design. Ed is truly the man when it comes to hammocks and quilts. To be honest with you, I am just giddy being in a "quilt war" with the likes of them both!

Whomever you choose you are pretty much guaranteed to be a warmer, more comfortable sleeper...

(Back to work now...)

~SC
    Owner/Founder at Hammockgear.com - Hammock Camping Outfitters
    Home of the Burrow, the Incubator, and the Phoenix

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I suggest that you put all three UQ's names in a hat and draw one!!!!
    They all have minor differences ...... but whichever you will have to play with, sleep/nap in, fiddle with suspension and down the road be warm and happy.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Super Traveler
    Tarp
    Spinn OES-2QZQ-WL
    Insulation
    Incubator by SC
    Suspension
    Dutch wear
    Images

Good Luck!

Here's a picture of my Incubator in a REI med. compression stuff sack. It would go a little smaller in a different kind of compression sack. This is my Incubator with two or three extra oz's of down. Good Luck picking one! Stormcrow get back to work This Thread may need to be moved the Under Quilts?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bankheadboy; 03-15-2010 at 10:32. Reason: Thread may need moved?
    In the beginning, God created wilderness..and it was good. Lamar Marshall- Bankhead Warrior
    Getting old is not for sissies! My mother in law Opal!
    It's me It's me It's Mr.T

Banned
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    So, does the SF fit on the leg section any better than the other UQs? In my experience, most full length quilts, when used on a gathered end hammock, tend to fall away from one side of the hammock on the foot end.
    Hey All,

I was hoping some of you guys could address this issue for me.

I am getting close to having the funds saved for a UQ and have narrowed it down to the MW4 (presently on sale) and the Incubator (which is 8 inches wider, which appeals to me).

What I'm wondering is how both of these handle the WBBB footbox.

Will one wrap around the footbox better than the other, or will they both be about the same?

Thanks,
    John

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    MacCat 12 x 10 sil
    Insulation
    3 Seas. Incubator
    Suspension
    Straps
    I ordered one from Perfect Trees because I figured that since Adam has a WBBB that he would have direct personal experience on making an UQ that would work with the WBBB's footbox without requiring additional tweeks or mods for us to do. Think of Stromcrow as being a tailor who is doing an UQ fitting for your WBBB
    Let every person be quick to hear, slow to speak, slow to anger. {James 1:19} .

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    ...most full length quilts, when used on a gathered end hammock, tend to fall away from one side of the hammock on the foot end. ...wondering if the SF does any better at this ...?
    Ed loaned me a SF at Hot Springs last fall for my Speer IIIA hammock. I was impressed with the Snug Fit, so to speak. I believe it does better than most at fitting for the full length, due to both the differential cut and the unique gathered ends of mesh. Of course, the velcro along the edge of the Speer hammock helped. Since Thing1 takes my PeaPod during winter hangs, I need a SnugFit!

...or should I get a Perfect Trees Incubator?

...but what can possibly be better than a JRB Mt Washington 4?

- MacEntyre

"...which one o' dese?" Jack Nicholson, Prizzi's Honor

- MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234